Growing in sand

snoopcobra

Hello, I live used to live in the mountains but moved to the desert. The first thing I did was germinate some seeds because I have alot of area around my house to grow in. Well they germinated and I find a good spot. I was a dumbass and forgot deserts don't have good soil, just sand.

This wasn't a well thought out grow I was pretty much just gonna throw some seeds in the dirt and hope for something, not really take care of of them, if they died oh well. Well after realizing this I thought fuck I'll try anyway. All the seeds outside never sprouted but I did plant one in a samll pot with sand as the soil and put it in my window for novelty. Never really expecting anything out of it. And to my suprise it grew. I never fertalize it, the only thing I do is water it and rotate it.

I'm guessing since its a weed it grows easily, I didn't even think it would sprout. What I'm asking is what is the likleyhood this thing flowering if its a female? I am guessing I would have to force it to flower since its in a window right? But since it is probably only getting less that 12 hours of sunlight each day would it go directly into flowering? I know its gonna be super super small and am not interested in a yield really. More the logistics of what will happen if it doesn't take a sudden turn and die.

Do you think it will continue growing with my current measures? Or when it gets bigger will it become weak and die?

Edit: I forgot to add it is about 5 inches after about..3 weeks or so, I have not really been keeping track.

I can't think of anything on earth that will grow without nutrients/food, can you?

Wanna know what will happen? With not enough light to grow and almost no nutrition besides what the seed came with, it will grow for a few weeks, skinny and sickly, then keel over and die.

-Marijuana IS NOT a weed.
-You cannot grow marijuana (not enough to get buds anyway) in a window sill.
-Plant seeds in the spring, harvest in the fall.
-Plant in fully amended soil.

^^^what he said dude. Transplant NOW if not sooner into a 3-5 gallon pail. then spend the better part of a few days reading up on indoor soil grows.

Yea andrew is right. I have no intentions of growing dank nuggets, it was just an experiment. I don't really have the time to organize an operation and simply wanted to watch the seed develop.

You say it will get sick and keel over in a couple weeks. Can I start fertilizing it or would that not be succesful since it is in sand? Now my goal is to keep it alive as a window decoration :) , plus it smells amazing.

if you're gonna keep it as window decoration, at least transplant it into a pot with regular soil

but anyway, good luck with that.

i've experimented once too. and ive also kept mine on my window sill in a little 6 inch pot... turned out to be a male, but i stil kept it until it died of dehydration cuz i stpped watering it after it showed the balls

How would I transplant it? It seems like it would be difficult to keep all the roots intact because it is already about 5 inches tall. Its in one of those 4.25" kinda hard plastic pots.

snoopcobra said:
How would I transplant it? It seems like it would be difficult to keep all the roots intact because it is already about 5 inches tall. Its in one of those 4.25" kinda hard plastic pots.
First, are you growing in 100% sand?
Fill the pot you're going to transplant into w/your medium. Scoop out some soil in the center and place the pot your plant is currently in in there. Then pack the soil around the smaller pot. Lift it out, gently squeez the sides then invert it and gently shake it w/your hand over the soil and the plant between your fingers untill the plant falls out, then place it in the hole in your bigger pot. It helps if the soil your plant is currently in is a bit dry.

Re: Growing in sand...Grow crops in desert for ethanol

Why isn't someone growing huge crops of marijuana in the desert for ethanol.
Plenty of unusable & unwanted empty space to grow.
Easily enough room to gate the crops & provide security so no one steals the crops.
Just need to find a source of water.
Maybe seawater could be a cost effective option.
Won't effect food prices.
Plenty of sun.
A few refinerys in the desert Could change the world.

Re: Growing in sand...Grow crops in desert for ethanol

Why isn't someone growing huge crops of marijuana in the desert for ethanol.
Plenty of unusable & unwanted empty space to grow.
Easily enough room to gate the crops & provide security so no one steals the crops.
Just need to find a source of water.
Maybe seawater could be a cost effective option.
Won't effect food prices.
Plenty of sun.
A few refinery's in the desert Could change the world.

sand will cut out oxygen for the roots would be your main consern. Then nute defencany sets in your leafs will start yellowin or become brittle and break apart.

I need some help with this to but a bit different ive got mine in some miracle gro potting soil but didnt have enough so i just topped the pot with a bit of sand will it still grow

yeow.

I grew plants under mesquite trees back in the 70's in Tucson. alkaline, sandy soil. it's not pure sand. and it wasn't a huge issue. my roommate and I gave our morning piss to them daily and that was about it. they did fine, so it can be done, just not in full sun.

I can't think of anything on earth that will grow without nutrients/food, can you?

Wanna know what will happen? With not enough light to grow and almost no nutrition besides what the seed came with, it will grow for a few weeks, skinny and sickly, then keel over and die.

-Marijuana IS NOT a weed.
-You cannot grow marijuana (not enough to get buds anyway) in a window sill.
-Plant seeds in the spring, harvest in the fall.
-Plant in fully amended soil.

I have been growing 2 plants in sand for 2 1/2 months and im shocked, ones 2.5 ft tall and 3 ft wide and the others 2 ft tall and 1.5 ft wide. both are trainwreck clones and now theyre flowering im giving them doses of nutrients. buttttt...... this is my first attempt growing them in sand so i dunno what to expect of the buds.
and this is my 4th year growing outside in the place im in and with the lack of sunlight i reckon theyre going to be the second biggest ive had yet, my biggest was grown on my roof :)

Back
Top Bottom