420 Magazine Background

Growing Number Of American Senior Citizens Are Using Marijuana: Study

bitbob

Getting high is no longer just for teens and college students.

Americans aged 50 to 65 are now twice as likely to use marijuana than 10 years ago.

A new study published in the journal Drug and Alcohol Dependence has found that marijuana use is rising among older, middle-aged American adults and that even senior citizens (those over age 65) are lighting up with greater frequency than in the past.

According to the new survey, 9% of Americans aged 50 to 65 years old said they have used cannabis at least once in the last 12 months – double the 4.5% of people in that demographic who admitted to marijuana use 10 years ago. At the same time, seniors older than 65 are also using marijuana more regularly – with 2.9% of adults in that category saying they’ve used the recreational drug in the past year. A decade ago, only 0.4% of seniors said they’d used cannabis in the previous 12-month period.

Researchers who conducted the study looked at the findings of 17,608 adults aged 50 and older taken from the 2016 National Survey on Drug Use and Health commissioned by the US federal government and compared it to similar information from a survey conducted in 2006.

This is one of several recent studies that have shown definitively that marijuana use is rising in the US. Other recent surveys have concluded that one in seven Americans use cannabis regularly and that marijuana use among college students is today at its highest level since the 1980s. The surveys have also found that the stigma around marijuana use and concerns about the recreational drug causing harm are rapidly fading away.

According to the Drug and Alcohol Dependence study, along with marijuana use, researchers discovered that the use of alcohol, nicotine, cocaine, and the abuse of opioids tends to be higher among marijuana users. The study reports that 5% of middle-aged marijuana users had alcohol-use problems, 9% were dependent on nicotine and cigarettes, and 3.5% abused opioids.

Although additional unhealthy substance use seems to be correlated to marijuana use, Joseph Palamar, one of the study’s authors and an Associate Professor at New York University, told CNN that he doesn’t believe people “need to worry about millions of older people trying weed for the first time” as the recreational drug becomes legal in more US jurisdictions.

Source: Grizzle.com

Last edited by a moderator:

KostasFour20

I have witnessed this at the dispensaries I visited. Makes sense to me as I was of that era. Weed was ripped from us by corporate America random drug tests. Because of The time it takes to clear most I knew quit.

The facts are not what the media. Wants to hear. They are for it but they want to use it as a bargaining chip.

Top Bottom