Growing with 315 CMH's: Which to choose

Look at the Nanolux 315W NA, you can remove the ballast from the lamp and run it remote, out of the tent to help keep the heat down.
20200209_114855 (2).jpg

Where the ballast attaches, this just requires an extention of the plug in cables.
20190821_124738 (2).jpg

I use 2 of the 315's in my 4 x 4 and run both vertical and horizontal grows.
Horizontal
20190828_175554 (2).jpg

Vertical
4 of the 5 plants in this vertical grow. Two lamps hung bare bulb vertical.
20200206_205740.jpg

A top shot of the vertical grow. The same grow, two lamps hung bare bulb vertical.
20200205_211416.jpg

You can check my signature for both my vertical and horizontal grows.

So looking into the specifications to fit in the closet and I will need something like a 48x24x70 or something along those lines. I could fit a 60 incher in the space right now, but I just feel like it's too short for the light.

The effect grow space for the 315 is 3 x 3. I run two horizontal but allowing room for fan, air vent, and distribution manifold I effectively use 4 x 3 so the lamps work well in my space.
I would think you could use one in the space you have.

Look at the Nanolux 315W NA, you can remove the ballast from the lamp and run it remote, out of the tent to help keep the heat down.
20200209_114855 (2).jpg

Where the ballast attaches, this just requires an extention of the plug in cables.
20190821_124738 (2).jpg

I use 2 of the 315's in my 4 x 4 and run both vertical and horizontal grows.
Horizontal
20190828_175554 (2).jpg

Vertical
4 of the 5 plants in this vertical grow. Two lamps hung bare bulb vertical.
20200206_205740.jpg

A top shot of the vertical grow. The same grow, two lamps hung bare bulb vertical.
20200205_211416.jpg

You can check my signature for both my vertical and horizontal grows.

Wow I've never seen this before, Awesome technique. And thank you for the recommendation!

Also, wondering if I should settle for a vertical or a horizontal hood. I would prefer a horizontal because it will save space, but I've read that some people say the verticals are better.

I have no hood on my vertical grows, just the bulbs are hung vertical.
My tent is a 4x4, 16 sqft, when I run vertical the screens give me over 25 sqft.

Height may be yer biggest issue since it needs to be 24" from the plant

Not sure how hot they are, but could also be an issue
rubbish, unless were talking horizontal fixtures. look into the nanolux ballasts, lowest profile design but more than anything make sure you get a vertical orientation bulb not a horizontal one. ( I have literally 6' from floor to ceiling and I can run 5 of them as close as 12 inches but 18 is good. phillips bulbs are great just the green power ones are actually not as good as he mastercolours

I have literally 6' from floor to ceiling and I can run 5 of them as close as 12 inches but 18 is good.

I don’t know how big that nanolux fixture is or how close you can put it to the ceiling.
How much space altogether do you need for the fixture, on top of the 12-18” ?

Thanks. Didn’t realize at first we’ve got a couple threads going at once. That distance thing is something I’ve been a bit worried about. I’d have to grow shorter plants. Losing 30” is.. not great. But better than some of the estimates I read.

Thanks. Didn’t realize at first we’ve got a couple threads going at once. That distance thing is something I’ve been a bit worried about. I’d have to grow shorter plants. Losing 30” is.. not great. But better than some of the estimates I read.
Really depends on the reflector you choose. Vertical config means you can hang ALOT CLOSER.

But I don't really know of anything you can hang closer except really expensive Led like fluence

Well the reflectors for my 600 HPS lights only take up about 5.5” and I regularly crank them as close to the ceiling as I can- basically an inch or two away. I grow the plants to about 12” away as long as air circulation is good.

Anyway... it doesn’t matter. As long as I can squeeze about 4’ of growing space in, I’m happy. This is the first quote I get google when I ask.

“315W is the most popular size for LECs/CMH grow lights. Both the 315 LEC and 315 CMH grow lights should be kept at least 18″ from the top of your plants, with some models needing to be kept as far as 3 feet away.”

3 feet, added to a 12”+ fixture, and obviously room for pots, would be out of the question. I’m not into growing two dimensional plants.

Yes but the major factor is vertical vs horizontal bulb orientation :)

Horizontal gives.lore intense light but has to be hung further away. I can hang my vertical 315s as close as 8 inches which ballast and everything mounted literally as close to the ceiling as I am able. I'd glue them on if I thought it would work

@Curbcalamity ,third time at least you mentioned about the vertical vs horizontal,, and i kept wondering how that would make a difference to the plants but i think i finally get it

the full length of the bulb directed at the plant vs pretty much just the reflection of the bulb directed at the plants, and i suppose the reflector would be a much more important part of the system with a vertical bulb

interesting indeed,, reps friend

Back
Top Bottom