Growing Without Bloom Nutes By Farside05

Congrats Farside on breaking your records. Them Blue Dream have the potential to be huge so you might smash it again this grow. I got over 14oz off the biggest one I had in the comparative I’m excited to follow along for these Blue Dream.✌

They yielded good for me last time but nowhere near 14 oz off one. Our plants were neck and neck through the veg stage in the comparitive but yours really outshined mine when they went to blooming. I think the fact that I have 4 of them crammed in such a small space hurts me there. You were able to spread them out more and get more light down into the plant.

Nice job breaking your tent record! Every day in every way, we're getting better and better.

Things look clean and ready for liftoff in there now. :thumb:

On the Megacrop front, here is their response:
"You can just mix a liquid concentrate, like 100grams in 1 Liter. Then you can use 10ml = 1 gram Mega Crop as an easy way to dose, and get a very uniform measurement! It seems like that is what you are concerned about."

And when I asked about how long that mixture would keep, they said:
"It should last very long. The nutrient miners do not degrade in solution."

I don't know what nutrient miners are, but "It should last very long" seems reasonable, if a bit ESL.

I like their idea of reconstituting it in water. Seems like someone else had that idea to make things more uniform. :hmmmm: So they are recommending 100 grams per liter. That works out to 422 grams per gallon. my last attempt was at 454 grams per gallon and this is the result, long term.

If I shake the shit out of it, it looks like some goes back into suspension, but I get larger particles that settle back rather quickly (under 30 seconds).

I love the concept but I'm not quite sold. I could heat mine up a bit and try diluting it further to see what happens. Sounds like a Saturday morning project.

Well I looked in on the babies. The one Blue Dream wasn't up and her tap root was sticking out the side of the Jiffy plug. This did not suit me. I don't want my tap root getting "air pruned". So...normally I'd wait for everyone to be up and a little bigger before transplanting, but I went ahead and put them in their final home anyway.

I tared my scale with my 1/8th tsp measuring spoon (empty) on it to see how much a gram of Mega Crop would be. I scooped a level tsp and it came out at .9 grams. Did it again, 1.1 gram, third time, 1.0. all of those results are within reasonable margins of error for me. So from now on, I'll use 1/8th tsp = 1 gram as my unit of measure. My bag had only been opened once since I got it, so it shouldn't have absorbed that much moisture and should be fairly accurate.

I mixed up a gallon of tap water with 1 ml Pro-Silicate and 1 gram of Mega Crop. I tested the pH. Boom, right on 6.5. that's my number, no adjusting needed.

I used 16 ounces of the solution to wet the center of each pot where I was going to plant the Jiffy plugs. I cut away the mesh and dropped them in the hole I dug. I used 16oz each again of the solution to water each one in. I dimmed the light so it's at 15k lux at plant level.

The final result. I'm being kinda cruel to them. No domes or anything. Last time I grew these Blues, the best one was from a seed stuck directly in the Pro-Mix and got fed the equivalent of 2 grams of Mega immediately.

How many balls did you get in an eighth spoonful?

I think mine is so damp I need to include water weight! I was at 1tsp silica and 5.5g MC and only got to 650 PPM!

There were about 3. Of course the bigger the spoon/sample size, the more consistent it will be. So when I get to 4 grams I'll definitely use the 1/2 tsp spoon rather than 4 1/8th.

I wanted to get a weight measure before it was exposed to the environment too many times. I'm sure as time goes by, 1/8th tsp will weigh more than 1 gram.

I'll give you some of my numbers from a feeding yesterday with 4L of tap water.

Tap ppm: 164 EC(us/cm) 348
With .4g of Kelp Extract added: 182 ppm EC 387
With 4.2g of MC added to above: 591 ppm EC 1289

Without adjusting pH it brought it all to 6.3

In case you wanted something to comapre against.

That's what my meters showed. The TDS/EC meter is brand new. I didn't see any decimal points but I'm guessing on what you said it should be there. I don't understand how the values display, but I do understand what it is measuring.
I'll check those numbers again but I was pretty thorough on it.

I'd have to get to my spreadsheet to compare my last ppm readings per 5 grams and do the math. Sounds about right though.

I like that you're right about at the sweet spot for pH too without having to do anything else. I hope the relationship between my silica additive and Mega is linear and keeps things right in the zone. To go a whole grow without pHing anything would be sweet. I know we've had the whole conversation about not pHing, that it's more about the media, alkalinity, type of Nitrogen used, etc, but I haven't made that leap yet. I still want it within a reasonable range.

EC (mS)EC (µS)TDS NaCl
(EC µS x 0.5)
TDS KCI
(EC µS x 0.55)
TDS 640
(EC µS x 0.64)
Natural Water™ 442
(EC µS x 0.7)

I'm guessing you're correct. But I can use 3.250 inches as a measurement and I don't think that's metric ;)

I'd have to get to my spreadsheet to compare my last ppm readings per 5 grams and do the math. Sounds about right though.

I like that you're right about at the sweet spot for pH too without having to do anything else. I hope the relationship between my silica additive and Mega is linear and keeps things right in the zone. To go a whole grow without pHing anything would be sweet. I know we've had the whole conversation about not pHing, that it's more about the media, alkalinity, type of Nitrogen used, etc, but I haven't made that leap yet. I still want it within a reasonable range.
Never ever had i ph soil only hydro hydro you must because even light exposure to the water changes the waters ph.

what's the difference between milli and micro siemens... mine shows as micro siemens. Does it matter?

You measuring how many sperm are in a sample? Oh Siemens, not Semen. My bad :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom