Growing Without Bloom Nutes By Farside05

Cool! 1st thing I'd do is get a decent idea of how much it takes for a gram before you open and close the bag a lot. It wicks up moisture quite easily so 1/2 teaspoon when it's fresh will weigh less than if it's exposed to a bunch of humidity later on. I found 1g to be equal to 1/8 tsp of powder. From that point on I didn't weigh it anymore, I went by volume.
I was just thinking that yesterday when I noticed that my vegging plants were looking underfed at 5g/gallon. 5g is probably no longer 5g at my RH even though the bag is only open for a minute or two each morning. I've gone to 5.5g now and the plants seem happier.

I separated my bag into three when I got it, so I may test this bag against one of the other ones using a level teaspoon.

I was just thinking that yesterday when I noticed that my vegging plants were looking underfed at 5g/gallon. 5g is probably no longer 5g at my RH even though the bag is only open for a minute or two each morning. I've gone to 5.5g now and the plants seem happier.

I separated my bag into three when I got it, so I may test this bag against one of the other ones using a level teaspoon.

You're just testing a level teaspoon because the larger sample size will help balance chunks right? I doubt you're feeding them that much. In my world that would be 8g.

LOL! No, just for testing because it's easy to do. I also could just use their scoop, filled to the top.

5.5g for the big veggers and 6.2 for the Candidas.

I have let go and an am not that exact. Imagine that, he who loves control has loosened the reigns. My previous weighing showed 1/8th to be pretty close to a gram. I happened to have the scale out the other day and measured a 1/2 tsp. It was actually 4.2. I call it 4 and move on. I have given up on the decimal points.

Mostly I'm dealing in halves (4.0, 4.5...). But 6.5 for the Candidas seemed like I might be pushing it from your previous ratio reports that I can't recall now. :oops:

I try to keep N under 150ppm since previous experience has shown me tip burn comes in to play there. 6g of Mega is 142ppm and every gram of Mega adds 24ppm of N. So half gram changes ppm of N by 12, .25g by 6ppm N. That splitting hairs. Not using Cal-Mag or pH Down at all this grow. 100% of my N is coming from the Mega Crop. I'm scooping 3/4 tsp of Mega and calling that 6g (it's probably a hair over in most cases).

That was it! :thanks: 6.5 would (without water weight) would be just over 150ppm so I was being conservative ;).

I must say, although they are both 9% N, the Mega doesn't seem as hot as the Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro where I derived my 150 limit. It may have something to do with the two products having a different ratio of Amonical to Nitrate Nitrogen. Just spitballing on that one. I recall Mega saying something on their site about not burning at higher N levels but I can't recall why they claimed that. Didn't find it in a quick search.

"We use extremely high quality and low Ammonium type nitrogen ingredient sources, this reduces the possibility of “overfeeding toxicity” that you would get from normal hydroponic fertilizers using too much nitrogen, even at higher doses. So, having extra nitrogen beyond what the plant needs will not harm it. "

From here:

That's it. Mega is almost all Ammoniacal, Dyna is more like 3% Nitrate and 6% Ammoniacal if I remember right.

***EDIT...Bad info, see 2 posts down for corrections***

Scratch that, I had it backwards. Dyna Gro Foliage Pro is 3% Ammoniacal Nitrogen, 6% Nitrate Nitrogen. Mega Crop is .5% Ammoniacal Nitrogen, 8.5% Nitrate Nitrogen.

Ammoniacal is someone crazy about ammonia. Or made crazy by ammonia. I haven't decided yet...

Just quoting it the way it shows on labels.o_O Wonder what happens if you mix it with bleach?

Evening update

The front 2 girls floored me when I opened up the tent this evening. They stretched like crazy during the day. They are now only an inch shorter than the bigger girl in the back. A couple days ago there was a good 4 inch difference. HAr to tell exactly from the pic. This is the best perspective I could get rather than taking them out and putting a yard stick to them. They all got a gallon and a half of 6g Mega Crop, 5ml Pro Silicate.

Lovely green monsters! Are you at all concerned about mixing the 9-6-17 and the additional 0-0-4 in terms of potassium locking out nitrogen (not that it is obviously!)?

I think when we discussed all that before, the ratio of N to K needs to be 1:3 or less. I'd have to go back and verify but that sounds real familiar. At 6g Mega and 5ml Pro Silicate, it's 1:2.4. Safe.

I was using a 1:1 ratio of Mega to Silica up to 5 of each. Then I leveled the Silica at 5 and increased the Mega to 6. Were you using more ml of Silica than grams of Mega?

I think the original concern with additional K was using GreenLeafs Sweet Candy on top of Mega Crop. It's 16% K.

Back
Top Bottom