Growing Without Bloom Nutes By Farside05

Now I'm curious to go back and look at the Brooklyn Sunrise Auto Cabbage and see how she changed when she started into flower.

I'm pretty sure it was with stretch for almost everyone.

Going back, I actually had one Blue Dream'matic and one Brooklyn Sunrise in that grow that was worthy of slaw dressing. About a week of stretch and they looked pretty normal.

There are a load of benefits to added silica (which I'm sure is why farside is adding more than MC provides), detailed here:

Stronger cell walls
Stronger cells mean bigger stems
Increased resistance to environmental stress
Increased resistance to pathogens
Increased resistance to pests
Enhanced metabolic functions

Well tonight I thought I'd play along with the current theme. I still have about 1/3 quart of Pro-Tekt left but the push recently is to buy my nutrients sans water. It's cheaper, and I'm all about finding ways to cut costs in the tent. I already use a dry fertilizer (Mega Crop) and have outlined how I use a Cal-Mag supplement that cones dry and you add it to your own gallon of RO. To complete the circle, I purchased a pound of Potassium Silicate to make my own Pro-Tekt. The pound will make 3.25 quarts of Silica additive in the same strength of Pro-Tekt. The cost? $20 including shipping. The cost for a quart of Pro-Tekt? $18. So 3.25 quarts of Pro-Tekt would run $58.50 vs my DIY powder at $20. Roughly 1/3 of the cost. When it comes in I'll do it a little photo write up. Might make for a nifty little tutorial like the Faux-Mix® to add to the signature. Can you say Faux-Tekt®?

So is your plan to have this be your last grow in this batch of soil? At this point (how long?) Do you consider the soil now to be used up and mostly inert, so it's required to use a fert like MC to bring you through? have you measured or checked for existing beneficial supplemental organic life in your soil?
Heavens no... I started out with good quality soil to begin with and it still has plenty of life left in it. I have used out a lot of the macro nutrients since I last amended this soil and they need to be added back in. I will add oyster shell for calcium and biochar for potassium, rock phosphate for the phosphorus, some azomite for the trace minerals and some humic acid to pull it all together. Then as always, all the scrap and trim from this run will go back into that soil to be composted back in for the next several months. The problem is that I am now several years and several blind re-amendments in with this soil, and I have lost track of what should be in there vs what actually is there.

I always have half of my soil composting while the other half is working. My soil is far from used up and inert, but it has gone so long without a professional analysis that I just don't feel comfortable taking it on a long run without first checking it out and then re-amending whatever it is lacking. Since I have procrastinated in getting this soil analysis done, trying out MC seemed to be called for on this run. I can always bring the soil back to life in the compost bin and by adding back the microbes via RealGrower's Recharge or even a home made tea. If I had not started with a high quality base soil, it would have fallen flat long ago, but so far my mix of FFOF and RootsOrganic 101 still has plenty of organics left in it. I may add another bag of FFOF to the mix in the future, just to add back some more beneficial organics.

When I make my concentrates, I only mix them at a ratio of 1 gram of salt to 10ml of water which avgs to 189.3 grams to a half gallon. This very diluted concentrate still precipitates and the jug opening always gets gunked up with salts. Anything thing I learned when mixing is that to make a half gallon of something, I'd start with my 1/2 gal of RO, but then I'd have to dump about a Solo cup full out to make room for the salts. So that half gallon minus the solo cup full, I would dump my salt into the jug, screw on the cap and shake till all of the salts dissolved. After that I can pour from that solo cup of RO back into the jug to top it off to an even half gallon. Because 3.25 quarts is a peculiar number, it might be best if you made 3 individual quarts as it is important for your math that you finalize with the weight of salts you're using to the finish volume of it plus water. Otherwise if you started with a quart of water and added xxx amount of grams to it, the volume of water would then swell and screw your math up.

Edit - I want to clarify that the reason I make my concentrates so diluted is to prevent precipitation when possible, but also because when I formulate regimens, I use Hydro Buddy which deals in weights and I need the ability to retrieve a specific weight in salts from a jug of solution and at a ratio of 1:10, it makes doing fast math in my stoned brain a breeze, as I just shift the decimal over one position.

Those plants in the corners
Those plants in the bright
Light
Losing all the cabbage
Trying to stretch up for you
Is it doubtful that they can do it?
Oh no, they've vegged too much
They surely vegged enough.
You need to increase your nap time. Too much time on your hands to come up with that.

You need to increase your nap time. Too much time on your hands to come up with that.
Get on our level!
I thought it was brilliant.

Well tonight I thought I'd play along with the current theme. I still have about 1/3 quart of Pro-Tekt left but the push recently is to buy my nutrients sans water. It's cheaper, and I'm all about finding ways to cut costs in the tent. I already use a dry fertilizer (Mega Crop) and have outlined how I use a Cal-Mag supplement that cones dry and you add it to your own gallon of RO. To complete the circle, I purchased a pound of Potassium Silicate to make my own Pro-Tekt. The pound will make 3.25 quarts of Silica additive in the same strength of Pro-Tekt. The cost? $20 including shipping. The cost for a quart of Pro-Tekt? $18. So 3.25 quarts of Pro-Tekt would run $58.50 vs my DIY powder at $20. Roughly 1/3 of the cost. When it comes in I'll do it a little photo write up. Might make for a nifty little tutorial like the Faux-Mix® to add to the signature. Can you say Faux-Tekt®?
In Canada it will go under the moniker Praux Tekt® .

In Canada it will go under the moniker Praux Tekt® .

It's almost like some of you Canadians speak a different language, you have to have a different word for everything. :rofl:

Its the mandatory bilingualism. Government says. We cant help it.

I've been doing that for years. I'm always making up new lyrics for existing songs to suit something happening in the moment. Gift or curse? Who's to say!
Get on our level!
I thought it was brilliant.
Thanks BVB! And by the way, I went to sleep singing Losing My Religion but woke up singing Lady Samantha (Three Dog Night version from 1969). No accounting for my brain. :)

I've been doing that for years. I'm always making up new lyrics for existing songs to suit something happening in the moment. Gift or curse? Who's to say!

Thanks BVB! And by the way, I went to sleep singing Losing My Religion but woke up singing Lady Samantha (Three Dog Night version from 1969). No accounting for my brain. :)

I was the 4th Dog in 3 Dog Night.

Back
Top Bottom