Growing Without Bloom Nutes By Farside05

I did some number crunching on Hydro Buddy to compare MC Vegan(6) with Calmag(5) to MC Vegan(5), Calmag(5) and Sweet Candy(1) and they came back pretty close. The 6/5 mix has more nitrate and calcium, than the 5/5/1 mix. FYI, nitrate is needed for calcium movement up through the plant, but also if any of the cations are too plentiful, calcium uptake will be the first to be effected being immobile and all. So for ideal calcium uptake, you need a lot of nitrate, and not too much K+, Mg++ or ammonia (NH4+).

IMO, you can use the Sweet Candy with MC Vegan and Calcmag, but it will have less calcium and nitrate, not to mention the difference of elements in 6 grams of MC vs 5 grams.

5-5-1.JPG 6-5.JPG

Interesting tidbits from an article on Canna's website:

The N/K ratio is also crucial when plants are passing from the growth (vegetative) phase to the generative (flowering or fruit-bearing) phase. The primary stimulus for a short-day or long-day plant to go from vegetative to generative is the number of consecutive hours of darkness. However, other stimuli, such as the N/K ratio, also affect these phenological states to some extent.

Fruit contains an abundance of potassium, and it is therefore essential to ensure a proper supply of potassium during generative periods. Yet regardless of how much potassium there is, if the ratio to nitrogen is too low, this can lead to a reduction in flower formation and plants with many vegetative parts (leaves and branches) and few generative parts (flowers and fruit).

Applying too much calcium and magnesium can cause a potassium deficiency; the K/Ca and K/Mg ratio should always be kept above 2 (but below 10, since too much K can hinder the absorption of calcium and magnesium). Too much potassium can also prevent the absorption of certain micro-elements, such as zinc. It is particularly important to take account of this interaction when using very hard water with a high calcium and magnesium content.

Full Article Here

I did some number crunching on Hydro Buddy to compare MC Vegan(6) with Calmag(5) to MC Vegan(5), Calmag(5) and Sweet Candy(1) and they came back pretty close. The 6/5 mix has more nitrate and calcium, than the 5/5/1 mix. FYI, nitrate is needed for calcium movement up through the plant, but also if any of the cations are too plentiful, calcium uptake will be the first to be effected being immobile and all. So for ideal calcium uptake, you need a lot of nitrate, and not too much K+, Mg++ or ammonia (NH4+).

IMO, you can use the Sweet Candy with MC Vegan and Calcmag, but it will have less calcium and nitrate, not to mention the difference of elements in 6 grams of MC vs 5 grams.

5-5-1.JPG 6-5.JPG

Ok so what does that mean in layman's terms lol?

Pretty sure I understand correctly. He crunched the numbers and confirmed my suggestion of 6mg Mega and 5ml Cal-Mag.

Purple Urkle from ApeOrigin

Lol oh ok kool well ill definitely guna give tht a try. An i cant wait to try an make some of my own silica lol that shud be fun. And sweet bro the purple strains must be the thing this round for alot of people lol. I jus started germing an Alaskan Purple and a Critical Purple Kush so hopefully they both pop. I guess its not to big of a worry yet if they dnt pop since i still got like 2 or so of each left.

Lol oh ok kool well ill definitely guna give tht a try. An i cant wait to try an make some of my own silica lol that shud be fun. And sweet bro the purple strains must be the thing this round for alot of people lol. I jus started germing an Alaskan Purple and a Critical Purple Kush so hopefully they both pop. I guess its not to big of a worry yet if they dnt pop since i still got like 2 or so of each left.

I have to repair my RO system and also wait for the Potassium Silicate to arrive. I have a pin hole leak in the casing for one of the filters. Had to buy a new casing and bought a 3 year supply of filters in the meantime. That set me back $140 for everything. I think that's what I paid for the entire system 3 years ago. Filters came yesterday, casing Wednesday, and the Potassium Silicate maybe Saturday, so maybe I can take some pics of the process over the weekend.

I had been looking for some Urkle seeds for a while and stumbled into these. Orlando Scout grew some about 6 months ago and they looked amazing. He was feeding Mega and has good lighting and they came out super frosty. Hoping for a similar result.

Nitrogen to Potassium Ratio Effects on Flowering Plants

Many factors affect the shape, branching pattern, quantity and size of blooms on flowering plants. One major factor is the ratios of minerals available to the root zone of the plant. Nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium must be available in sufficient quantities to provide the basic building blocks for plant tissue. For many flowering plants the ratio of nitrogen to potassium affects the morphology of the plant roots, stems, leaves, and flowers. Many scientific studies have been done to explore the effects of the Nitrogen to Potassium ratio on flowering plants.

For many kinds of flowering plants it is believed that a Nitrogen to Potassium ratio of around 1:1 is ideal in the vegetative growth phase, and a ratio of around 1:2 is ideal during the reproductive flowering phase. When plants enter the reproductive phase the way they use minerals changes. Feeding with a nitrogen to potassium ratio around 1:2 during the flowering phase can help shorten the stems and increase stem caliper. A thicker stem caliper is a prerequisite for large flowers. This nitrogen to potassium 1:2 ratio can also promote more flower sites, increased flower density, quality and dry weight.

The majority of chemical fertilizers sold for flowering are formulated with a nitrogen to potassium ratio close to 1:2, however many organic fertilizers and amendments do not have this ratio. Organic fertilizers and amendments are often high in nitrogen and lower in potassium. This is because organic fertilizers and amendments are derived from the remains of living organisms, which are often high in protein making them high in nitrogen since protein is a nitrogen containing compound. When flowering organically is important to make sure there is enough potassium relative to the amount of nitrogen.

Balancing the nitrogen to potassium ratio can be done relatively easily. It is a good idea to do a soil test to determine how much nitrogen and potassium are already in the soil or growing media. The amount of organic fertilizer or amendments to apply should be based on your soil test results. This 1:2 ratio can be easily achieved by using an organic potassium supplement, looking at the fertilizer labels and doing some simple math to make sure the nitrogen to potassium ratio of 1:2 is achieved. Most organic fertilizers or amendments list the nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium (NPK) ratios on the label. If the NPK ratio is not known then a fertilizer test can be done by a lab to find out. Care should be taken not to use too much potassium because excess potassium can cause a deficiency in other elements such as calcium and magnesium. Ongoing soil or media testing is a valuable tool used by commercial growers to help determine how much additional nitrogen and potassium will be needed to maintain the ideal ratio throughout the growing season.

It should be noted that the 1:2 nitrogen to potassium ratio for flowering is a general guideline. Even within one species of plant many varieties will respond somewhat differently to various ratios of nitrogen to potassium, so experimenting with different ratios will help determine your ideal ratio for each variety.

Incredibly "verdant" in there farside!

Turn on your computer. I hear there's lots on there.

Mega Crop has improved our vocabulary. Not only do we have verdant, now we've added copious.

They frown on that kinda thing at work. Don't know why. Evidently they think a bouncy pair of boobs will distract me when that CPR in progress call comes in.

I have to repair my RO system and also wait for the Potassium Silicate to arrive. I have a pin hole leak in the casing for one of the filters. Had to buy a new casing and bought a 3 year supply of filters in the meantime. That set me back $140 for everything. I think that's what I paid for the entire system 3 years ago. Filters came yesterday, casing Wednesday, and the Potassium Silicate maybe Saturday, so maybe I can take some pics of the process over the weekend.

I had been looking for some Urkle seeds for a while and stumbled into these. Orlando Scout grew some about 6 months ago and they looked amazing. He was feeding Mega and has good lighting and they came out super frosty. Hoping for a similar result.

Sweet bro well gud luck an i hope u end up with what ur looking for. I know i sure found some keepers with my Sweet Tooth and Red Leicester Tease lol.

I've got some Granddaddy Purple in the pipeline myself. Was thinking I also had some Purple Haze, but according to my notes didn't end up ordering any of that one in favor of Candyland, Orange Sherbert, and Super Lemon Haze instead.

I may do a run of Fruity Pebbles and Purple Haze in the next few. But that's a way off still.

Ok so what does that mean in layman's terms lol?

In laymans, using Sweet Candy may add other benefits to your feed, but at the cost of some nitrate and calcium. But that is when I compared (6/5) to (5/5/1). Aside from the elements in the SC, I would be interested in the esters added, plus a big bump in sulfur does wondrous things to the smell of our buds where more S generally results in sweeter smells.

Day 40, Day 5 of the flip

Back left girl is out of sync with the others. I went to check on the girls tonight and she was dry. The others still didn't need a drink. Only had a few minutes since I needed to shower and get to work and the dog also decided to piss in the hallway which I had to clean up. Gave her a gallon to hold her over until I can give her a full drink. Everything is filling in nicely.

Looking great, but this stopped me:

LOL!

And when it's the 132 pound Rottweiler that decides to leave you a puddle, it's more like one of the Great Lakes.

Day 40, Day 5 of the flip

Back left girl is out of sync with the others. I went to check on the girls tonight and she was dry. The others still didn't need a drink. Only had a few minutes since I needed to shower and get to work and the dog also decided to piss in the hallway which I had to clean up. Gave her a gallon to hold her over until I can give her a full drink. Everything is filling in nicely.

I love the post flip squirt of energy these plants do.

And when it's the 132 pound Rottweiler that decides to leave you a puddle, it's more like one of the Great Lakes.
Sounds like parental neglect and second hand smoke to me.:roorrip:

Back
Top Bottom