Growing Without Bloom Nutes By Farside05

The "funk" in the back room is really starting to ramp up. Still that under tone of shit. Hope that doesn't transfer into the cure. No bag appeal at all. Never had anything smell this rank. Sour D is a strong odor, but one I secretly kinda like. But then again I love the smell if gasoline.
Who doesnt like the smell of gasoline?

Plants look fantastic, some really big colas waving around in there.

Day 70, Day 35 from flip

Last night the two left girls got 2 gallons of 6g Mega, 5ml Cal-Mag, 5ml Faux-Tekt®, 10ml Terpinator. The two right girls may need fed later today or tomorrow AM.

A few pics with the new macro clip on cell phone lens my daughter got me for Christmas.

handy gadget for the macros farside. looking good fella. hope your christmas went well?.

Dropped the hammer on some seeds for future runs. Bought 3 Fastbuds Purple Lemonade. At least 2 of these will be in my next grow. Given the success I've had with Fastbuds, I just had to try those sexy looking bitches. Also had to buy momma some more Triple Cheese, 3 of them, from Barney's. I think we have enough on hand to last me until I can get them in the tent after an auto run. Seedsman also threw in 3 of their auto Northern Lights and 3 auto Strawberry Cheesecake. Current thinking is 2 Strawberry Cheesecake and 2 Purple Lemonade. Should make for a colorful tent for a late winter grow.

Oh shit ive been doing it wrong this whole time could that be the problem maybe? An since i already mixxed up 2 gallons worth the wrong way should i jus dump it an start again?
That sir is my line. LOL
That is why I hold on tight to the Farside.
His friendship has made my garden greener, well more Verdant.

I got my last Triple Cheese in young veg now and it's growing every bit as vigorous as the other 2 I did last year. I missed this strain and can't wait to be smoking these buds again. Do your best to work in lots of sulfur in bloom. Her smoke tastes like a cheesecake, or maybe unsugared cake batter or even a sugared ice creak cone, lol. Whatever it is, it's one tasty smoke and since I'm such a light weight smoker and even Mexi brick will rip my face off at 2 tokes, my greatest enjoyment is the flavors of the smoke. Thankfully in Faux Brix, I was able to formulate the drenches to be up on the S contents.

That sir is my line. LOL

Thanks for the compliment. May the verdantness continue.

I got my last Triple Cheese in young veg now and it's growing every bit as vigorous as the other 2 I did last year. I missed this strain and can't wait to be smoking these buds again. Do your best to work in lots of sulfur in bloom. Her smoke tastes like a cheesecake, or maybe unsugared cake batter or even a sugared ice creak cone, lol. Whatever it is, it's one tasty smoke and since I'm such a light weight smoker and even Mexi brick will rip my face off at 2 tokes, my greatest enjoyment is the flavors of the smoke. Thankfully in Faux Brix, I was able to formulate the drenches to be up on the S contents.

The smell I got off mine was Lemon Squares/Bars or Nekot Lemon Cookies. So sweet, creamy, bakery smells with a hint of lemon. You said your last were vigerous. Mine wasn't so much. The fact yours is again leads me to believe mine was a runt. Hope to get 3 good ones because the effect is blissful. I'm now on interested in other Cheese strains. Probably why the Strawberry Cheesecake will accompany the Purple Lemonade.

I'm now on interested in other Cheese strains. Probably why the Strawberry Cheesecake will accompany the Purple Lemonade.

The Cheese was a big hit in the UK for better than a decade before we Yanks came around to it. I'm inclined to believe them Brits know their stuff!

The Cheese was a big hit in the UK for better than a decade before we Yanks came around to it. I'm inclined to believe them Brits know their stuff!

I remember an episode of Strain Hunters where Franco and Arjan we're debating Indica or Sativa. Arjan is a sativa guy and Franco preferred Indicas. His favorite was Cheese. Anyone who smoked as much as Franco should have an idea what a good Indica is. I think we Yanks tend to get influenced by Hollywood and the west coast music industry. We hear about these strains in movies and songs and it makes them more popular than maybe they should be.

Seriously? Even Mexi brick? Cheap date.

yeah. When I smoke my own chops, I generally take between 1/2 to 3/4 of a good puff from my pipe and that'll have me severely stoned for about 2-3 hours. If I take 2 puffs of anything Indica dom, I pass out. I hope to grow some Sativas in 2020 and hopefully I'll be able to handle those better, but as is, I treat ALL bud like it's heroin and will kill me if I take too much, lol.

NyQuil for all!

yeah. When I smoke my own chops, I generally take between 1/2 to 3/4 of a good puff from my pipe and that'll have me severely stoned for about 2-3 hours. If I take 2 puffs of anything Indica dom, I pass out. I hope to grow some Sativas in 2020 and hopefully I'll be able to handle those better, but as is, I treat ALL bud like it's heroin and will kill me if I take too much, lol.

Maybe try something like Durban Poison or Green Crack. What some refer to as a "get shit done" strain. :)

That sir is my line. LOL

Haha lol and i know right. Shit my garden was looking pretty rough till farside helpd me out. the only plants tht used to look gud in my garden where my highbrix plants lol. But now even my synthetic nutes grow is doing way WAY better. Which is gud cause those are my money makers an i cant get rid of poo lol. So im really glad he helpd me out they look way better now lol.

Let's get back to basics.... A review

Bloom Boosters are said to increase the number of flowers on your plant. Nonsense. They don’t work, and can actually make your soil toxic, making it more difficult for your plants to grow.

Bloom Booster – What is it?
Bloom Booster fertilizer is a fertilizer with a high middle fertilizer number – it is high in phosphorus. It may also have a higher than normal amount of potassium.

There is no such thing as a Bloom Booster fertilizer!

Any fertilizer with a high level of phosphorus can be considered to be a bloom booster fertilizer, even if the label just calls it fertilizer.

If you look at the fertilizer numbers in bloom booster products you quickly realize that every manufacturer’s formulation is different. That’s odd! If there was a special formulation that boosts flowers you would think all manufacturers would use the same formula? They don’t, because there is no such thing. These are just packages of fertilizer with the words ‘bloom booster’ slapped on the label.

Bloom booster fertilizer is nothing more than a marketing gimmick to get you to buy more fertilizer. Many people grow plants for the flowers, and so manufacturers are using your desire for more flowers to sell more products.

Bloom Boosters, Do They Work?
Will a high level of phosphorus increase the number of flowers?

The answer to this question is a bit more complex than it seems. Plants need a certain amount of phosphorus to grow properly. If they get enough phosphorus along with the other needed nutrients, plants will grow to their best ability and produce lots of flowers. If they can’t get enough phosphorus and other nutrients then they under perform.

Adding phosphorus to soil that already has enough phosphorus, or adding it to one that is deficient in one of the other nutrients, will NOT make plants grow better. You are just wasting a natural resource or worse, making your soil toxic.

Adding a bloom booster to soil that already has lots of phosphorus, will NOT increase the number of blooms.

It turns out that in North America, few garden soils have a deficiency of phosphorus, which means that in most of these soils bloom booster does nothing to boost blooms.

If you check bloom booster fertilizers you will notice that some include minor nutrients, along with some nitrogen and potassium. If the fertilizer fixes any deficiency in these other nutrients, plants will perform better. Except for nitrogen, most garden soils do not have a deficiency in these other nutrients.

Do Plants Use a Lot of Phosphorus?
Lets have a closer look at the nutrients plants need. How much phosphorus do plants need?

When rose tissue is analyzed, the fertilizer numbers are in the ratio of 6-1-4 (ref 1). They contain much less phosphorus than nitrogen or potassium. According to Jeff Gillman (ref 3), “there is usually more calcium, magnesium and sulfur in plant tissue than phosphorus”.

So why would a fertilizer ratio of 1-5-1 (Peters Professional Super Bloom Booster), be good for plants?

Phosphorus is critical for plant growth, but plants don’t need a lot of it. The American Rose Society says “Commercial growers of roses for cut-flower production typically use fertilizers with a 3-1-2 NPK ratio.” I think these guys know how to produce blooms!

Plants do not need high levels of phosphorus to bloom well.

Phosphorus Can be Toxic
High levels of phosphorus in the soil ties up iron so that plants can’t absorb it. This leads to an iron deficiency in the plant, leading to interveinal chlorosis.

Excess phosphorus also inhibits the development of mycorrihizal fungi which are very important to plants. These fungi provide water and phosphate to the plant. For more details on this see Mycorrhizae Fungi Inoculant Products

Excess phosphorus is toxic to plants.

Does Potassium Boost Blooms?
Some of the bloom boosters also provide an increased level of potassium, and some people feel that potassium is important for flower production.

Potassium is essential for plants to grow and flower properly, but high potassium levels will not increase flowering. As reference 2 points out – flowering is controlled by hormone levels – not nutrient levels.

What About Containers?
In reference 3, Jeff Gillman quotes Timothy Broschat and Kimberly Klock-Moore from the University of Florida “Most container grown plants require only minimal amounts of P for optimal growth and … applications of high P fertilizer will not promote either roots or shoot growth in plants as popularly believed.”

Don’t use bloom boosters for containers.

Phosphorus Does NOT Promote Flowering
There is little evidence that phosphorus promotes flowering. Bloom boosters are not needed, nor do they do help your plants, unless you have a phosphorus or potassium deficiency in the soil. The only way to know this, is with a soil test.

Stop adding phosphorus to your soil!

References:

1) The American Rose Society – Phosphorus Fallacies – too Much of A Good Thing

2) The Story of Flowers – The Potassium Myth: Potassium and Flowering | The Story of Flowers | Adam Dimech

3) “The Truth About Garden Remedies”, book by Jeff Gillman

And more review...

Liebig law of the minimum, often simply called Liebig's law or the law of the minimum, is a principle developed in agricultural science by Carl Sprengel (1840) and later popularized by Justus von Liebig. It states that growth is dictated not by total resources available, but by the scarcest resource (limiting factor). The law has also been applied to biological populations and ecosystem models for factors such as sunlight or mineral nutrients.

So what do the two review topics have to do with each other and how it's related to my grow?

Liebig's Law would say that a plants growth rate is going to be dictated by the scarcest resource. I've been playing with adding Terpinator, a K and S supplement and "bloom booster". Have I seen any groundbreaking changes? Nope! The growth and trich production is what I would expect to see with my regular feed regiment. So that would mean that K and S are not limiting factors in Mega Crop. It already has sufficient amounts on its own. As such,when I fed the right side girls today, I ceased using the Terpinator. This is the second time I've tried it. The previous time was with Dyna Gro, and I noticed no significant change then either

To add further, if K and S aren't limiting factors in Mega Crop, what happens to all the extra you just added when you put in a "booster". The short answer is one of two things. 1) It builds up in your growing medium, eventually causing a toxic situation. 2) You water really heavy and the excess goes down the drain. Effectively you are pouring the money you spent on said "booster" down the drain! Good for the nute company's bottom line, not for you or your plant.

Synopses - I can't recommend using any "bloom booster" that contains high amounts of K. High P is just as useless since our plants use very small amounts of it. Refer to page 1 of this journal for supporting documentation on that subject.

Back to basics and the original premise of this thread, "Growing Without Bloom Nutes".

So what do the two review topics have to do with each other and how it's related to my grow?

Liebig's Law would say that a plants growth rate is going to be dictated by the scarcest resource. I've been playing with adding Terpinator, a K and S supplement and "bloom booster". Have I seen any groundbreaking changes? Nope! The growth and trich production is what I would expect to see with my regular feed regiment. So that would mean that K and S are not limiting factors in Mega Crop. It already has sufficient amounts on its own. As such,when I fed the right side girls today, I ceased using the Terpinator. This is the second time I've tried it. The previous time was with Dyna Gro, and I noticed no significant change then either

To add further, if K and S aren't limiting factors in Mega Crop, what happens to all the extra you just added when you put in a "booster". The short answer is one of two things. 1) It builds up in your growing medium, eventually causing a toxic situation. 2) You water really heavy and the excess goes down the drain. Effectively you are pouring the money you spent on said "booster" down the drain! Good for the nute company's bottom line, not for you or your plant.

Synopses - I can't recommend using any "bloom booster" that contains high amounts of K. High P is just as useless since our plants use very small amounts of it. Refer to page 1 of this journal for supporting documentation on that subject.

Back to basics and the original premise of this thread, "Growing Without Bloom Nutes".

Awesome write up bro alot of gud info. An nice 2 no that bloom boosters are a waste lol. Hey i was actually wondering about this cactus i got for my grandmother. An i uppoted it to a bigger pot an now it needs 2b fed. So im wondering shud i treat it like my other 420 plants an give the same amount of food?

Awesome write up bro alot of gud info. An nice 2 no that bloom boosters are a waste lol. Hey i was actually wondering about this cactus i got for my grandmother. An i uppoted it to a bigger pot an now it needs 2b fed. So im wondering shud i treat it like my other 420 plants an give the same amount of food?

Thanks.

My experience with an aloe plant tells me succulents don't like to be fed heavy. Try 2g per gallon. Too much, they don't die but turn a brownish color overall. Get it right so that it stays it's normal color green and they take off.

No!

Back
Top Bottom