GrowinGirl's 1st Grow - Soil Bagseed - Plus Others - 2012

GrowinGirl

What strain is it? Bagseed
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? Unknown - Likely Indica or hybrid
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Seed just planted

Indoor or outdoor? Indoor first 2 weeks, then out on balcony (stealth grow)
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If soil... what is in your mix? Generic potting soil to start, then probably Fox Farm's Ocean Forest potting soil
If soil... What size pot? 1 pint to start - probably into 3 gal for finishing
Size of light? 14 w aquarium fluorescent

How often are you watering? When soil drying out, as needed
Type and strength of ferts used? Probably none unless problems develop

This is going to be a low-input organic grow, as close to nature as possible without being in the ground. I need to see what I get by just doing that, work out the kinks, decide what varieties I like to USE, and then grow those varieties perhaps with more inputs or topping/FIMing/supercropping. I need to use autos or strong indicas for their low profiles because I must not let my garden peek over my balcony railing. I also need to seek out low-odor strains.

I wasn't going to start my Grow Journal until my seed order arrived, but when rummaging through a dresser drawer this evening I found a bagseed I had saved, either from 5 years ago or just last winter. As luck would have it, I just brought home today my 10 gal secondhand aquarium that is going to be my nursery.

The light is working, the nursery is now lined somewhat haphazardly with mylar, and the teensy seed is presoaking in a cup. I hope it pops. If it doesn't, this journal will sit unused until the seed order arrives.

I FOUND A SEED! I FOUND A SEED!!! :cheer::slide::party::yahoo::woohoo:

I thought I might add that my having a random seed sitting around to plant is remarkable sine I have probably smoked a grand total of 50 hits of Cannabis in the past 30 years, all of that provided by friends. I have never in that time had more than a gram in my possession, and that much only once. :laughtwo:

Re: GrowinGirl's 1st Grow - Soil Bagseed (plus others?) 2012

What strain is it? Bagseed
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? Unknown - Likely Indica or hybrid
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Seed just planted

Indoor or outdoor? Indoor first 2 weeks, then out on balcony (stealth grow)
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If soil... what is in your mix? Generic potting soil to start, then probably Fox Farm's Ocean Forest potting soil
If soil... What size pot? 1 pint to start - probably into 3 gal for finishing
Size of light? 14 w aquarium fluorescent

How often are you watering? When soil drying out, as needed
Type and strength of ferts used? Probably none unless problems develop

This is going to be a low-input organic grow, as close to nature as possible without being in the ground. I need to see what I get by just doing that, work out the kinks, decide what varieties I like to USE, and then grow those varieties perhaps with more inputs or topping/FIMing/supercropping. I need to use autos or strong indicas for their low profiles because I must not let my garden peek over my balcony railing. I also need to seek out low-odor strains.

I wasn't going to start my Grow Journal until my seed order arrived, but when rummaging through a dresser drawer this evening I found a bagseed I had saved, either from 5 years ago or just last winter. As luck would have it, I just brought home today my 10 gal secondhand aquarium that is going to be my nursery.

The light is working, the nursery is now lined somewhat haphazardly with mylar, and the teensy seed is presoaking in a cup. I hope it pops. If it doesn't, this journal will sit unused until the seed order arrives.

I FOUND A SEED! I FOUND A SEED!!! :cheer::slide::party::yahoo::woohoo:

I thought I might add that my having a random seed sitting around to plant is remarkable sine I have probably smoked a grand total of 50 hits of Cannabis in the past 30 years, all of that provided by friends. I have never in that time had more than a gram in my possession, and that much only once. :laughtwo:

Welcome to :420:!

I'm glad you decided to get your recommendation! That opens up new possibilities for you. Check out weedmaps dot com. it'll help you find collectives, co-ops, and dispensaries in your area until your grow provides for your needs. The Bud tenders in cali can also provide help as to which strain can best help your malady. If you don't mind my asking, what is your condition, I may be able to help as well. You've opened a VAST resource joining :420:, and I know you'll feel welcome and fully supported, whatever your needs are here.

As far as growing outdoor... this could be problematic if you are in SoCal as the heat will be much higher than cannabis can tolerate for maximum yield. How much sun does your balcony get during the day? I know autos don't depend on light cycle to flower, but not enough could result in lower yield.

I take it you are in an apartment, by the needing to stay shorter than your balcony railing, is an inside grow possible? I went to the manager of my apartment complex, and provided a copy of my recommendation so if a maintenance man ever worked in my apartment, I'd be on file as "legal". Maybe a small grow tent for 1 or two plants inside in cooler conditions would be an option for you? You can still grow organic, but have better environmental conditions as opposed to the 100+ temps we get here in California.

Also, I'd like to point you to two growers using organic nutrients that are having amazing results.

Organic Grow - BC God Bud - Gods Gift - Blackberry Kush

Smoke2Js Magic Garden

S2J is an outside grower as well, in Oakland, and could probably help with controlling heat issues as well. He however is not constrained to height issues, as you will see, nor a balcony.

At any rate, I hope you stay with :420:, and hope you come to love this place as much as I have.

Be well, be loved, and . . . .

KEEP 'EM GREEN!

P.S. I'm now subscribed to your journal here, so feel free to ask any questions here... I'll get it on my phone, and I will either know the answer, or know someone that does..

TYVM, jandre! My balcony faces NNW, so it is now starting to get some late afternoon sun. It will get full sun soon enough. I think I can get in a fast little grow before our end-of-June nightmarish heat potential sets in. I can use shade cloth during really bad heat.

I have cats so indoors exposed isn't possible. My budget doesn't allow for a grow box or tent just yet, though that might be nice eventually. I want to see what I can accomplish outdoors. C. indica is from parts of the world that see even ghastlier heat than where I am in the SFValley.

My new tomato and basil plants are looking happy if leaning a bit westward......

Welcome to :420:!

The Bud tenders in cali can also provide help as to which strain can best help your malady. If you don't mind my asking, what is your condition, I may be able to help as well. You've opened a VAST resource joining :420:, and I know you'll feel welcome and fully supported, whatever your needs are here.

Thanks, jandre! I need cannabis for my old neck injury (skiing) and various and sundry athletically induced joint pains/arthritis (I also did a lot of climbing and backpacking); these make it hard to sleep. So indicas are going to be the way to go, and it's convenient that they tend to be shorter.

TYVM, jandre! My balcony faces NNW, so it is now starting to get some late afternoon sun. It will get full sun soon enough. I think I can get in a fast little grow before our end-of-June nightmarish heat potential sets in. I can use shade cloth during really bad heat.

I have cats so indoors exposed isn't possible. My budget doesn't allow for a grow box or tent just yet, though that might be nice eventually. I want to see what I can accomplish outdoors. C. indica is from parts of the world that see even ghastlier heat than where I am in the SFValley.

My new tomato and basil plants are looking happy if leaning a bit westward......

SFV is a nice place to grow. Not much of a real heat problem until Aug... You're good. As I said earlier, there is a grower in Bump City that grows outdoors as well. Here in the central valley, heat is too much for these little babies.

Thanks, jandre! I need cannabis for my old neck injury (skiing) and various and sundry athletically induced joint pains/arthritis (I also did a lot of climbing and backpacking); these make it hard to sleep. So indicas are going to be the way to go, and it's convenient that they tend to be shorter.

While treating for lack of sleep, which seems to be a symptom from general pain, sounds like a plan, I would look into some high CBD plants, or a nice Chocolope, or a "Lucy" as we call her here, to address the pain later when you have a bit more room to play with. Maybe after you get that tent. I found a 2'dx4'wx5'h tent for like 90 bucks and I can post the link later if you're interested.

.......still waiting for Little Bagseed to pop........tapping fingers.......:laughtwo:

Hehehe, that can take up to 3 days to pop.

jandre, I am sad to report that my area often gets temps above 115F in mid-June - mid-July. The heat waves are shortest early on, and toward fall they get longer, but the highest temps come around July 4ish. Can be ghastly. I am not in the NORMAL part of the big city.

Temps in northern India, Pakistan, and Afghanistan are comparable. I bet indicas can handle it. We shall see, lol. Could be a major FAIL. FWIW, I won't allow direct sun during those heat waves.

ouch.. 115.. i start swearing around 95F... i couldnt imagine :p

they are pretty resilient little plants.. you should be alright.

jandre, I am sad to report that my area often gets temps above 115F in mid-June - mid-July. The heat waves are shortest early on, and toward fall they get longer, but the highest temps come around July 4ish. Can be ghastly. I am not in the NORMAL part of the big city.

Temps in northern India, Pakistan, and Afghanistan are comparable. I bet indicas can handle it. We shall see, lol. Could be a major FAIL. FWIW, I won't allow direct sun during those heat waves.

Heh, true, a pure indica landrace, (wild) hell sativa landrace, too for that matter, can withstand much higher temperatures than the cultivated varieties. The hybrids we get, whether pure indica, indica/sativa, or pure sativa, heat tolerance properties are much less considered during selective breeding than that of THC and CBD quantities, yield, effect, taste, and structure. While any strain, with careful attention can be made to survive with lots and lots and lots of water and partial shade in the hottest part of the day, I'm afraid you will find that yield is lower due to heat stress, and have a higher risk of "hermie" than that same plant grown between 70 and 80 degrees.

I'm not saying you're doomed to fail, but, these days there only a few strains that are bred to be heat and drought tolerant. While I do think that indicas as a whole can tolerate higher temperatures than most, they have grown weak in this department due to breeding for effect. Do some research and see which plants are the easiest to grow, these tend to be the more tolerant of adverse conditions.

I sort of liken it to this. Just because some people can withstand 100+ degree weather, doesn't mean all people can. It depends on the "breed" of the person, so-to-speak, as to what is what. I, for instance absolutely abhor the house being above 75 in the summer. Others can tolerate 82 while others in the world live quite comfortably in tropical zones with no A/C or cold drinks. My lineage is that of people from a tropical zone, so I should be okay with heat right? Wrong, my comfort zone is between 65 and 75. Between 80 and 95 my productivity declines. At 100 degrees I dehydrate quite quickly and fall out with heat exhaustion and need to be hospitalized. All of my generation of the family is like this (save one, but he's whacko). But I come from grandparents that LIVE in 90-115 weather for most of the year quite comfortably. Granted, this can be changed over time, with acclimatization, but. . . . food for thought.

I just realized which SFValley you were referring to. I read SFValley as San Francisco... not San Fernando in the south... lol, yeah, SoCal get hot earlier.

ROFL, yeah, we get HOT. Scary hot sometimes. Dangerous if AC fails.

Of course right now it's pouring. This month has been colder and windier and rainier than JANUARY was. That's just not right.

ROFL, yeah, we get HOT. Scary hot sometimes. Dangerous if AC fails.

Of course right now it's pouring. This month has been colder and windier and rainier than JANUARY was. That's just not right.
Yeah, it rained all March, almost, and has rained most days in April here. I think Old Man Winter overslept again.

.........waiting on pins and needles for either Little Bagseed to pop up or my seed order to arrive.........I feel like I used to the week before Christmas when I was a little girl.
Have you taken the seed out of the water? If not, move it to a wet paper towel, and put that in a ziplock. Place it in a warm place to stimulate germination.

Have you taken the seed out of the water? If not, move it to a wet paper towel, and put that in a ziplock. Place it in a warm place to stimulate germination.

It spent about 24 hours in water, and then I stuck it barely under the potting soil surface in its "nursery" cup. I probably should have done the paper towel and baggie thing. I know better.

Oh well, it's done.

I WILL do so with my expensive seeds.

It spent about 24 hours in water, and then I stuck it barely under the potting soil surface in its "nursery" cup. I probably should have done the paper towel and baggie thing. I know better.

Oh well, it's done.

Hehe, live and learn. It could still pop if you keep it moist and warm.

Oh well, it's done.

Growingirl you will be alright going that rout. I normaly only soke my seeds 6hrs then put in moist soil under cfl lights and in 3 days they pop. Just make sure to keep soil moist and did you plant it with the point down.:420:

:straightface:

temps above 115F in mid-June - mid-July.

:trance:

And I thought it was hot where I live... Yikes!

Hope you find some nice babies that thrive in heat! I had a friend from Samoa who would go out side here in long sleeves and jackets and stuff... Weirded me out. He said it was cold here!

I guess its all relative.. You must have like +5 fire resistance or something.

Back
Top Bottom