GrowMan's first indoor organic grow

GrowMan

Hi everyone. My four plants have now been in the flowering stage for about a week and doing great. All still appear to be females, but I am keeping careful watch for signs of a male or hermie. They are each about 2 feet high and are in 5 gallon buckets with Ocean Forest organic soil. I have used both day old tap water and store bought spring water. The only fertilizing I have done is to side dress the plants with additional Ocean Forest organic soil. I have not monitored the PH or Nutes for this grow, but may for the next one.

On May 21, 2009, I started four mail ordered feminized seeds on a damp paper towel (two White Widow and two Little Devil). In the meantime, I set up my grow room in a four by six walk in closet. It has wire hanging racks about two feet from the ceiling and carpeting on the floor. I got a thermometer with temperature and humidity monitoring.

After a few days, the seedlings had half inch long white tentacles emerging and I placed them in coco plugs under a dome in the closet with an old standard fluroescent fixture and a box fan to pull room air under the closet door.

Unfortunately, the fluorescent bulbs blew out and when I checked on them a few days later, the seedlings were alive, but long and stringy. I set up a 400w HID in an agrotech reflector and put the seedlings on an 18/6 schedule with a small circular fan. The room got far too hot and the next time I checked, the coco plugs were dried out and the WW seedlings were completely dead. The LD seedlings were ok, but still stringy and limp. I propped them up, put a little soil on top and plenty of water. I also started new WW seeds and so they are about one to two weeks behind the LDs. I had a lot of trouble with high heat and low humidity and so on June 12, 2009, I invested in a new T5 fixture for seedlings and clones. I also purchased and installed a 4 inch inline ventilation fan and vented it into the vented attic above the closet. This kept the room much cooler and prevented the seedlings from drying out and the seedlings took off.

When the seedlings were a few inches high, I transplanted them plug and all into gallon pots containing Ocean Forest organic soil. On July 28, 2009, I transplanted the now foot high plants into the five gallon buckets with Ocean Forest organic soil. After a few days to let the girls get used to their new containers, on July 31, 2009, I replaced the t5 lamp with the 400W HID in the agrotech reflector. This created new high heat and low humidity issues and I did everything from hanging wet towels to putting dutch ovens of ice in the room. In the best circumstances, the heat was below 90 and the humidity above 40, sometimes much hotter and dryer. They grew slowly, but remained alive.

On August 7, 2009, I switched to an HPS bulb and changed the timers to 12/12. The plants were about 18 inches high at the time. The HPS bulb seems to throw less heat. I also attached a ducting tube to the intake on the inline fan and extended the tube below the level of the light so it sucked up the hottest of the air in the room. The temperature has stayed in the low to mid 80s and the humidity is in the high 40s to low 50s after watering.

I have experimented a little bit with the watering and found that the best way is to buy 3 gallon bottles of spring water at the grocery store and spray on the water with a one gallon pressurized sprayer (the kind used for applying insecticides). I am also using automatic watering bottles called plantastic. They hold about 16oz of water and slowly release water into the soil as the water touching the membrane dries. They are supposed to last two weeks, but I have never had to fill an empty one. I am using them as a sort of back up.

Another change I have made is with regard to reflective material on the walls. The closet has white walls and ceiling and faux wood door. initially, I taped tin foil all over the closet. This made a terrible crinkling noise all day and night. On 8/9, I took three large mirrors and put one on each wall and kept the tin foil on the door. My garden supplier freaked when I told him about the mirrors and said that it would burn the plants. I took out all reflective material and now just have the white of the walls and ceiling. I'll let you know if I notice any slow down in growth.

As indicated above, the 4 plants have been flowering for about a week. There are signs of hairs, but so far no evidence of male pods. I plan to harvest in mid October or so, when there are abut 70% amber hairs on the buds. I will then regenerate the best of the plants, cut off sprigs for clones and put them all back under the t5s.

I will post pictures in about a week.

Looks like they grew another 3-4 inches. The soil was pretty dried out and the plantastics were almost empty. The leaves looked a little droopy, but not brown or crisp. I added water. The buds are really popping now. tons of white hairs.

I am starting to think i may have mislabled them because the two Little Devils look totally different from each other. One is almost 8 inches taller than the other. The two White widows look almost the same as the tall little devil.

I believe these feminized seeds are truly feminine. I have not seen any sign of male or hermie. Smells great. I am going to have to hook up the carbon filter soon.

I tried to upload some pictures, but they were too big. I will have to resize them and try again.

Finally, even though the Little Devils were supposed to be auto-flowering, they definitely did not flower until i put them in 12/12, even after almost ten weeks of growing. In retrospect, I really did not need them to autoflower anyway. You learn all kinds of things on your first grow.:peace:

Here are some photos:
DSC00727s.jpg

DSC00723s.jpg

DSC00724s.jpg

DSC00725s.jpg

DSC00726s.jpg

DSC00728s.jpg

DSC00729s.jpg

DSC00730s.jpg

Good photos Growman...thanks for sharing with us and good luck on the rest of your flowering!!
+reps

Thanks WeedRyder and Poker Shark. I appreciate the encouragement.:ganjamon:

Actually, I just found a few male sacs on one of my beautiful girls. WW2 looks like a Hermie.
DSC00740s.jpg

I am also concerned about LD1 and WW1, but I am going to let them be for a couple more days. Does anyone know if I can protect against seed development in my plants by just remove the sacs on the hermies as they appear? (By the way, I hope I am not offending anyone by calling it a "hermie").

I did not want to just dump the he/she, so I put it into a dark closet away from my grow op room and I thought I would let it just continue to go and do what it will do for another couple of weeks and then harvest it. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Here are a couple more pictures:
DSC00736s.jpg
;
DSC00737s.jpg
;
DSC00738s.jpg
;
DSC00739s.jpg

So sad. So far, the clear girl is LD2. I will eventually harvest her and regenerate her and make her the mother of my clones.:peace:

I have been away for a week. The plants seemed a little thirsty and one was downright droopy. I cut down the Hermie that I had removed last week. No sign of male parts in the actual grow room. One plant appears shorter, stockier and fuller than the others. I am starting to think I mislabled the seeds because the short stocky one has the characteristics of a White Widow. I guess I will know more as they mature.

Does anyone have an opinion about piching a few of the fan leaves to allow more light to get to the lower buds?

Here are some pictures:

DSC00741s.jpg

This is all three plants. Two look a little long and lanky. They were also in need of water.

Here is another view:
DSC00742s.jpg

Here is the top of the short, stocky one. I believe it is a little devil.
DSC00743s.jpg

Here are the other two:
DSC00744s.jpg

DSC00745s.jpg

Finally, here is the Hermie I had to cut down. Nothing goes to waste.
DSC00746s.jpg

Anyone hear of the band G. Love and Special Sauce? My new favorite band.

What Happened To This Grow?

How did this grow turn out?
We would love to be updated with some pictures and info!

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to abandoned journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Thanks for the input. I harvested the three remaining plants last week. I decided not to reveg any of them and i will just start some new seeds. I will try to post some pictures in the next few days. Can't wait to taste the harvest.

Back
Top Bottom