GrownManHollr's First Attempt — Hopeful Hempys

OMG ur gonna have a nightmare, if you dont trim those leaves right at harvest when their still wet. i tried to trim my leaves after my buds were dry and i will never ever ever ever do that again!!!!!! so much harder and way more time. horable mistake when i did that.

I also think you increased ur chances of mold by allot if ur RH% isnt dead on.

just thought i would share that with u

Hey Irish,
I appreciate the feedback man. I am trying to be super careful about the conditions.

Now that temps in my region are under control, I'm finding that I am able to maintain the temp and RH right where I want them. Trying to keep temp at 65, the high temp today in there was 69. RH is staying right around 50%.

Also, I'm checking super carefully each day for mold. It really seems (so far) that, by keeping the temps and RH in check, it's gonna prevent that. Of course, the plants have got to get increasingly dry as time goes on since the likelihood of mold growth will increase over time. The humidity where I live makes mold a constant problem and it's smell to me is unmistakable. Believe you me, the last thing I want is moldy buds.

Really wanted to try this method as described What is The Best Way to Dry and Preserve the Cure for Smooth, Sweet Buds?. If I end up screwing up my buds, I'll certainly have learned a lesson the hard way!

As far as the time factor involved in trimming later on goes, I think it was April 22nd when I planted these girls, time hasn't been much of a consideration for me during this grow at all. If I was worried about getting bags out the door, this method wouldn't have been considered.

Again, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. I'm gonna keep putting pics up of how they're doing. I hope to show you that I'm not REALLY a nut case for trying this method!
:thanks:

Hey Irish,
I appreciate the feedback man. I am trying to be super careful about the conditions.

Now that temps in my region are under control, I'm finding that I am able to maintain the temp and RH right where I want them. Trying to keep temp at 65, the high temp today in there was 69. RH is staying right around 50%.

Also, I'm checking super carefully each day for mold. It really seems (so far) that, by keeping the temps and RH in check, it's gonna prevent that. Of course, the plants have got to get increasingly dry as time goes on since the likelihood of mold growth will increase over time. The humidity where I live makes mold a constant problem and it's smell to me is unmistakable. Believe you me, the last thing I want is moldy buds.

Really wanted to try this method as described What is The Best Way to Dry and Preserve the Cure for Smooth, Sweet Buds?. If I end up screwing up my buds, I'll certainly have learned a lesson the hard way!

As far as the time factor involved in trimming later on goes, I think it was April 22nd when I planted these girls, time hasn't been much of a consideration for me during this grow at all. If I was worried about getting bags out the door, this method wouldn't have been considered.

Again, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. I'm gonna keep putting pics up of how they're doing. I hope to show you that I'm not REALLY a nut case for trying this method!
:thanks:

believe me ive tried every way to dry and cure my buds and this isnt the solution, made no difference. ive spent so many harvest trying to perfect drying and curing, even went with the paper bag method. unit i finally found what worked great for me.

with temps that low and RH% right their IMO u on the border line. 45% should be max IMO. but thats just me.

what i meant by time has nothing to do with bags out the door, what i meant is that i 3hrs trim job will take around 10 hrs, all the leaves will dry up and curl up into the buds then u will have to trim each and every leave by digging to cutting way into the buds to cut the stems, its much easier to trim laves that are sticking out and the stems are right their. trust me u will see what i am talking about, i just got the chills just thing about it. believe me this is not the best way to do it, ive do it almost every way. to each is their own, u wont know until u try it for ur self, just wanted to give a heads up. keep that air moving in that room.

believe me ive tried every way to dry and cure my buds and this isnt the solution, made no difference. ive spent so many harvest trying to perfect drying and curing, even went with the paper bag method. unit i finally found what worked great for me.

with temps that low and RH% right their IMO u on the border line. 45% should be max IMO. but thats just me.

what i meant by time has nothing to do with bags out the door, what i meant is that i 3hrs trim job will take around 10 hrs, all the leaves will dry up and curl up into the buds then u will have to trim each and every leave by digging to cutting way into the buds to cut the stems, its much easier to trim laves that are sticking out and the stems are right their. trust me u will see what i am talking about, i just got the chills just thing about it. believe me this is not the best way to do it, ive do it almost every way. to each is their own, u wont know until u try it for ur self, just wanted to give a heads up. keep that air moving in that room.

I know I'm going to find out exactly what you mean. I must admit that time availability right now was a factor in deciding to try this. What I'm thinking of trying is to trim down the buds now on one or two of the plants, but leave all the larger colas attached to the main stem and then hang them back up that way for a while.

I know I'm going to find out exactly what you mean. I must admit that time availability right now was a factor in deciding to try this. What I'm thinking of trying is to trim down the buds now on one or two of the plants, but leave all the larger colas attached to the main stem and then hang them back up that way for a while.

ive done it that way also, ive found that the buds dont dry to even this way and ur gonna be drying for a long long time witch is going to increase ur chances of mold.

next time try this way with one plant and let me know how ur like the smoke.

flush with water for a min of 1 week before harvest, 3 days before u pull ur plants trim off all the fan leaves, then for 2 days leaves them in darkness, them when u pull her leave her in darkness. then trim every thing right away.

breach each branch down and hang, once their dry throw them into a mason jar, but 1st go on ebay and buy a small RH% meter their under $3.00, put one in each jar, this will tell you have to cure the best buds u can. make sure to look at ur ash color and see how white it is and clean and tank me latter.lol. i have never seen or smoked as clean as buds as mine.

the leaves store nutes i cut them off and take allot of the harshness and dirty shit away, then when ur plants are in the dark they drop their nites into the roots, so their all the other nasty shit gone, then u cure good and its will be the best/most dankyness shit u have smelled and the cleanest weed u have smoked. give it a try sometime.

hers some info on how to do the curing

Cut the product, trim it per your preference, but don't dry it until the stems snap. Take it down while the stems still have some flex, but the product feel dry on the outside. This is a perfect opportunity to drop the dry-feeling flowers onto a screen and collect prime-quality kief that would otherwise get lost in the jar.

Jar the product, along with a Caliber III hygrometer. One can be had on Ebay for ~$20. Having tested a number of hygrometers - digital and analog - this model in particular produced consistent, accurate results. Then, watch the readings:

+70% RH - too wet, needs to sit outside the jar to dry for 12-24 hours, depending.

65-70% RH - the product is almost in the cure zone, if you will. It can be slowly brought to optimum RH by opening the lid for 2-4 hours.

60-65% RH - the stems snap, the product feels a bit sticky, and it is curing.

55-60% RH - at this point it can be stored for an extended period (3 months or more) without worrying about mold. The product will continue to cure.

Below 55% RH - the RH is too low for the curing process to take place. The product starts to feel brittle. Once you've hit this point, nothing will make it better. Adding moisture won't restart the curing process; it will just make the product wet. If you measure a RH below 55% don't panic. Read below:

Obviously, the product need time to sweat in the jar. As such, accurate readings won't be seen for ~24 hours, assuming the flowers are in the optimal cure zone. If you're curing the product for long-term storage, give the flowers 4-5 days for an accurate reading. If the product is sill very wet, a +70% RH reading will show within hours. If you see the RH rising ~1% per hour, keep a close eye on the product, as it's likely too moist.

Good info, IrishBoy. Good luck with that plant GMH. Looking at it reminds me of the big Bubba Kush plant I had bud didn't harvest in time. It went limp and the leaves drooped all over the resin covered buds. All stuck together. Was only good for hash at that point.

Hello Friends!

I'm so sorry to have been AWOL for so long. Our daughter (22) got into some trouble a few weeks ago and it's been a very trying time. She's home now and things are getting a little bit back to normal.

I could not be any happier with the final results of this grow. I've got 1/2 lb of Killer (with a capital K) buds in mason jars as well as about 6 grams of hash that's just ridiculously good.

Irish, thanks so much for your excellent post from a few weeks ago. That is the single best explanation of drying and curing that I've ever seen. I'm gonna spread some love around here and +Rep you as soon as I can.

You were totally right about what a pain in the ass it is to trim leaves after the plants are dry. The only good thing about it was that I could prop the plants upright after they were completely dry and all the leaves just stuck straight up. I put the plant up on my kitchen counter and just stood there with the fiskers like I was giving it a haircut! I was able to give all the buds a really good first pass with the scissors that way. Then, after hanging for a few more days, I cut all the buds off and trimmed them down really good and put them into mason jars.

These buds, having been jarred up for a few weeks now are tasting really nice. DocBud is definitely right though. Buds grown in hydro do not have the same taste and smell as those grown in soil. My wife has to be a stealth smoker and loves this stuff because it leaves no smell at all (except for a subtle and VERY pleasant Jack Herer smell which I love). I do have some new babies going in soil (hash bud, the cheese, and Jack Herer) and plan to get a new journal started soon.

Thank all of you so much for the amazingly helpful advice and comradeship here. There is no place like 420magazine.com!

Hello Friends!

I'm so sorry to have been AWOL for so long. Our daughter (22) got into some trouble a few weeks ago and it's been a very trying time. She's home now and things are getting a little bit back to normal.

I could not be any happier with the final results of this grow. I've got 1/2 lb of Killer (with a capital K) buds in mason jars as well as about 6 grams of hash that's just ridiculously good.

Irish, thanks so much for your excellent post from a few weeks ago. That is the single best explanation of drying and curing that I've ever seen. I'm gonna spread some love around here and +Rep you as soon as I can.

You were totally right about what a pain in the ass it is to trim leaves after the plants are dry. The only good thing about it was that I could prop the plants upright after they were completely dry and all the leaves just stuck straight up. I put the plant up on my kitchen counter and just stood there with the fiskers like I was giving it a haircut! I was able to give all the buds a really good first pass with the scissors that way. Then, after hanging for a few more days, I cut all the buds off and trimmed them down really good and put them into mason jars.

These buds, having been jarred up for a few weeks now are tasting really nice. DocBud is definitely right though. Buds grown in hydro do not have the same taste and smell as those grown in soil. My wife has to be a stealth smoker and loves this stuff because it leaves no smell at all (except for a subtle and VERY pleasant Jack Herer smell which I love). I do have some new babies going in soil (hash bud, the cheese, and Jack Herer) and plan to get a new journal started soon.

Thank all of you so much for the amazingly helpful advice and comradeship here. There is no place like 420magazine.com!

shit 1/2lbs is bad ass my friend. makes me even more happy to get my two 180's in for this next grow.

lol. seems like you timed the trimming, because once their dry dry and the laves are dead and just all twisted up it really sucks, but their is a certain widow on the drying that the leaves will stick up like ur saying and its not so bad, its just the waiting longer thats a nightmare

sorry to here about ur kid, hope everything works out ok.

cant wait to see round 2, wink wink. very nice grow my friend, enjoy the smoke:grinjoint:

Thanks for sharing your grow with us!

Don't forget to head over to the 420 Smoke Reports forum and post your smoke report there too! :cheer:

I’m moving this to completed journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please start one here:
Journals in Progress

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Thanks for sharing your grow with us!

Don't forget to head over to the 420 Smoke Reports forum and post your smoke report there too! :cheer:

I'm moving this to completed journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please start one here:
Journals in Progress

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

420 and everyone here. Thanks SO much for making this such a great experience. I am not exaggerating when I say this has changed my life.

Here are a few pics from the final "haircut"!
Final01.JPG
Final02.JPG
Final03.JPG
Final04.JPG
Final05.JPG
Final06.JPG
OnTheScale.JPG

Thanks again to everyone here. Special thanks to DocBud (we can just thank our lucky stars that he focuses that brain power on good and not evil!). And EXTRA special thanks to IrishBoy. I know you're reading this man, and the friendship and wisdom you've offered me and that you offer so selflessly to everybody here is more than appreciated. Best wishes to you for an Excellent 2011!

Until life settles down a little, I'm not going to try another journal. Hopefully, I'll feel ready this spring. I must admit, I've got a beautiful JH growing in soil (she's an Espoma girl :)). I will (of course) be lurking!

Hay GMH,

Nice finish... was this a Jack?

Final05.JPG

The buds look so nice and tight.

I've got a couple JHs flowering right now... can you hit us with a smoke report?

:goodjob: and good luck.

:peace:

Back
Top Bottom