GrownManHollr's First Attempt — Hopeful Hempys

091710-03.jpg

doode, you are making me feel like I have a really puny pistil...

Man you're just used to having a 380,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 Watt light! I'm sure that indoor growing does take some getting used to after growing these plants outside as long as you have.

You'll be crankin' the buds out of that crawlspace before you know it!
:ganjamon:

very nice frosty buds.. gonna be some killer smoke!! try not to squeeze the girls too much, it will bust ur resin glands.

Gonna try to keep my hands off the Charmin!
I've been good so far, but a small taste test is in order before long.

It's amazing how many bud sites are developing under the canopy where they're getting virtually no light. This GLH light really penetrates through amazingly well, even running on a mover.

On my next grow I'll be a lot more ruthless about trimming lower branches off and trimming the lower growth from those branches that remain (lollipop you call it). It's clear to me now that leaving all that stuff in place is just stealing energy away from the bud development up in the canopy.

As it is, it looks like I'll have a bunch of good material for hash making. Haven't had any good hash in a LONG time.

Thanks Irish!

:thumb::blunt::hookah:Looking good :peacetwo:

HH

Thanks HH! Roll Tide Bro!
:thanks:

Hello! Sorry for not posting here for a while! Lost my marbles and have been trying to find them all!

First some small items..
09262010-01.jpg
09262010-02.jpg
09262010-03.jpg
09262010-04.jpg
09262010-05.jpg
09262010-06.jpg

I don't know what you folks think but, it seems likes there are a lot of clear trichomes to be chopping them quite yet. I'm interested in anyone's opinion on this!
However, I did think it was time to ramp up the quality assurance program. Timmy was kind enough to donate her right arm to science.
TimmyRA.jpg

There's some weight here, but, I'll not hazard a guess as to how this is going to weigh out after a week in the slow dry cabinet (also known as the cabinet). I don't have scale, but hope to have something rounded up by next weekend. Anyway, even if this only ends up a few grams of good dry bud material, there is SOOO much more of Timmy to go around. She's getting to be a fat girl (just like I like'm!)

And this is my Mother..
Mother6.jpg

Her name is Peggy. Isn't she pretty?
Peggy began life as a lower branch on Plant 4. Rumor has it that Peggy's daddy was a bottle of RootTone, but we don't repeat that outside the Hollr family. ;)

very nice pics..

ya i would say they still have a while, still really clear from the looks of the pics

Thanks Irish! I am pretty surprised that they're still all so clear at 9 weeks. These JH have a very noticeable amount of sativa in them. Pretty crazy buzz factor already! Works better for me than the buds I've been shelling out big bucks for. I've built up a big tolerance for that stuff though. I know the guy who grows it. Might give him some JH clones so he can diversify a little bit. It's good to have something new! Can't get our hands on things quite as easily as you can out there in CA.

Been meaning to ask if you and/or SS would mind describing (maybe on your thread or one of his) the process you guys use for drying and curing your buds. I remember you talking about using inexpensive little humidity meters in your mason jars to help regulate the curing process. It would be really great if you would share that. If it's already been written up somewhere you could point me to, that would be great too.

Really want to get these buds dried and cured nicely. The little meter idea sounds like a really good way to go.
Peace Bro! Thanks for stopping by!
:peace:

Thanks Irish! I am pretty surprised that they're still all so clear at 9 weeks. These JH have a very noticeable amount of sativa in them. Pretty crazy buzz factor already! Works better for me than the buds I've been shelling out big bucks for. I've built up a big tolerance for that stuff though. I know the guy who grows it. Might give him some JH clones so he can diversify a little bit. It's good to have something new! Can't get our hands on things quite as easily as you can out there in CA.

Been meaning to ask if you and/or SS would mind describing (maybe on your thread or one of his) the process you guys use for drying and curing your buds. I remember you talking about using inexpensive little humidity meters in your mason jars to help regulate the curing process. It would be really great if you would share that. If it's already been written up somewhere you could point me to, that would be great too.

Really want to get these buds dried and cured nicely. The little meter idea sounds like a really good way to go.
Peace Bro! Thanks for stopping by!

i posted it on SS thread.

Hey Hollr,
A member named Irish (a lady member, not IrishBoy above) posted some good info on this last year. Check it out here.

Hey PotPie! Welcome to my Soul Kitchen! :grinjoint:

I will absolutely check that out. Thanks very much man!

simply awesome pics GMH,thats what we all want to see at the end hats off to ya !!!!!!!!!!:grinjoint:

Hey fluroman! Thank you so much!! :)

Just took a quick peek at your setup! That is wild! I gotta see what you do with all that light! (Do you like own the electric company or something?) Just Kidding! I would do that in a heartbeat if I had the right place to do it!
Good Luck and thanks again!
:goodluck::thanks:

Hello! Took a few more pics last night and thought I'd share.
Gave the divas a little bit more gravity last night. Results were more convincing than the first time around.
09292010-01.JPG

Finally, at least some of the buds on plant 2 are opening up.
09292010-03.JPG

Plant 2 is the windswept sativa phenotype (i.e. she's at the end of the tent opposite the air intake and sits right underneath the filter that pulls the air out of the tent). I've got to find a good way to even out the air flow within the tent.

The gravity even seems to have inspired Timmy let her hair down a little bit.
09292010-04.JPG

One of plant 1's colas giving one of those sweet, sultry looks.
09292010-05.JPG

plant 1 is the other sativa pheno. This one's been out of the wind. I was going to rotate them, but decided that I didn't want to shuffle them around like that after they started flowering. Kind of glad I did it this way. Gravity sure gave this girl a new look.

Another plant 1 cola striking sort of an abstract pose.
09292010-06.JPG

These girls live for that LED. It's crazy watching them react to it.
09292010-07.JPG

Thanks for checking in!

Dang doode :thumb: So this gravity stuff did this?

09292010-04.JPG

Is it frosting them, making them more buxom, or both?

Nice going!

Yo HBO! Thanks man!

It seems like the gravity does something to kick the buds into gear so that they open up (and then become huge and heavy I guess). They have to have it in'm, the gravity just tells them to get the hell on with it and NOW! You can literally watch this stuff work. The thing is, if they aren't ready to move on, they aren't going to. At least that's how it's looked to me. IrishBoy told me that you can mess up your buds with this stuff, so you do have to be careful with it.

The dope for frosting IMO is SnowStorm Ultra. I know that the Jack Herer strain is known for frosty buds, but I think this stuff would make a cabbage push out trichomes! (hmm...one thing I never smoked).

:tokin:

gravity will put ur buds into ripen mode so if used too soon it will ripen ur buds before then are ready..

Gravity dosent really help with frosting its the snowstorm and the strain for sure.

Ive used Gravity before but didnt know when my buds were gonna finish so wasn't sure when the 3 weeks mark was, so i just guessed and it was around 4 weeks before harvest and my buds turned out fluffy because they ripen off too fast.. i know a few others this has happen to.

damn bro that buds is just straight fire. frosted ass girls you have, its going to be some killer smoke.:blunt:

Thanks for the kind words IrishBoy. There's no possible way that this would have happened without the help that you, DocBud, Munki and others here have shared.

gravity will put ur buds into ripen mode so if used too soon it will ripen ur buds before then are ready..

Gravity dosent really help with frosting its the snowstorm and the strain for sure.

Ive used Gravity before but didnt know when my buds were gonna finish so wasn't sure when the 3 weeks mark was, so i just guessed and it was around 4 weeks before harvest and my buds turned out fluffy because they ripen off too fast.. i know a few others this has happen to.

Yeah, it is weird stuff for sure. Kinda wanted to stock up on this grow. I'll probably skip it next time and just use a little molasses instead.

Yeah, it is weird stuff for sure. Kinda wanted to stock up on this grow. I'll probably skip it next time and just use a little molasses instead.

ya you dont want to stock up on that stuff, its best to use it when needed to keep it real fresh that stuff goes bad in 6 months from what i have read.

on ur next grow it might be a better idea to do the gravity one 1/2 of the plants so you can see what it really dose. side x side is the best way to find out how stuff works.

ya you dont want to stock up on that stuff, its best to use it when needed to keep it real fresh that stuff goes bad in 6 months from what i have read.

on ur next grow it might be a better idea to do the gravity one 1/2 of the plants so you can see what it really dose. side x side is the best way to find out how stuff works.

That's good suggestion. Thanks Irish!

Well, we did the deed. The Divas have been ready for harvest for a few days and I've found a million and one justifications for waiting just a little longer... So, Monday night (right at 12 weeks of flowering) I just did it. Didn't think I'd have such a problem just chopping these things down, but I've grown accustomed to these girls (as the old song sort of goes). It won't be so hard next time. I'll never let those bitches get under my skin like that again! ;;)

Here are a couple of photos taken just before the girls' "special treatment".
Plant 1
10-14-2010-02.JPG

Timmy!
10-14-2010-01.JPG

I've misplaced some other shots I took somehow...I might have been a little bit toasted. The quality assurance program has been extremely successful by the way. I am feeling well assured that these buds kick ass! :tokin:

Decided that I'm gonna try the "hang the whole plant upside down in a dark cool place" technique. My goal is to maintain temperatures in the mid 60s and humidity in the mid 50s. It's been working out pretty well so far.
10-14-2010-06.JPG

10-14-2010-05.JPG
10-14-2010-04.JPG
10-14-2010-03.JPG

These pictures were taken after one day "in the cooler". It seems like this is going to work well. I'll take more pictures during the course of this drying process to show how things are progressing. These buds smell amazing and the aroma is richer each day. I hope that giving them some Floralicious during flowering helped to enhance the taste and smell.

I can understand (now more clearly) the importance of keeping environmental factors in check during this phase of a "grow". It's a lot like I'm hanging a bunch of bananas (or something) in the closet. If temps get too high, for any significant length of time, things are not going to finish well. Something I've really got to consider is drying buds during the summer months. I certainly won't be able to use this technique. There's no way I could keep temperature and humidity in line.

I did one thing that has helped to keep the temps and humidity in check this morning that's helping tremendously. I added one more sheet of panda film over the outside of the "room" entrance (it's a walk-in closet). Major difference. Not exactly super attractive. Wish I'd thought of just doing that back in June and July!

OMG ur gonna have a nightmare, if you dont trim those leaves right at harvest when their still wet. i tried to trim my leaves after my buds were dry and i will never ever ever ever do that again!!!!!! so much harder and way more time. horable mistake when i did that.

I also think you increased ur chances of mold by allot if ur RH% isnt dead on.

just thought i would share that with u

Back
Top Bottom