GrowOS - DIY Arduino CO2/Temp/Hum Automation

I'm still clueless what CannaOS and OpenGrow are, but HERE is a link to my github. Dial-a-Dose is just code for my 8 peristaltic pump dosing module
Skydroponics is the master sketch for my grow and includes the functionality of Dial-a-Dose. This is an Arduino based project and all the network connections are handled by Blynk so my functionality is widely expanded. Right now, I have coded for 2 temp/humidity sensors, an onboard clock, 8 relays for 120V AC~ devices and the dosing pumps for my General Hydroponics nutes. Take what you wish from my code to use with other projects. Because this is my work in progress, code will be getting changed to weed out the bugs in my code.

Can somebody tell me what happend to @CasaBonita and his project GrowOS? I was looking for him and the project, but couldn't find any link or homepage... Any info?

Sadly, that user has not visited the forum since October, 2016. I just did some searching and couldn't find anything current (I was hoping to discover that he had uploaded his code to GitHub, but...), either.

OtOH, member Skybound has been active within the past week, so you might try sending him a PM asking him to revisit this thread (if you're interested). AvidLearner hasn't been here since the first week of November, so he may or may not ever see a PM, but you might try sending him one, too, as his account is still showing as "active." Folks have the option of getting an email notification of a PM, so - if he has that option enabled and gets such an email - that might cause him to come back for a visit.

Speaking of GitHub, Skybound posted a link to his GitHub page in post #21, above. Looks like he's got "Dial-a-Dose-w-Blynk" (8 peristaltic pumps controlled by Arduino Mega via Blynk) and "Skydroponics" (An internet accessible hydroponics controller). I didn't see a link in the thread for AvidLearner's GitHub page, but you can easily find it by doing a web search for "GitHub AvidLearner" (sans quotation marks). His GitHub page has "GrowGreen" (LED Light Controller for high power DIY LED lights for dimming and turning on/off), "GrowGreen-V2" (GrowGreen Rorary Encoder), and "Hydroponic-Controller" (Billes Hydroponic controller updated with current device #defines).

Just doing a web search for "GitHub hydroponics" (again, sans quotation marks) gives ~450,000 results, lol, but I saw several links to what appears to be actual GitHub pages. Which makes sense, since hydroponics is an area where automation and device control (CO₂ pumps/monitors, light controllers/movers, nutrient and/or pH monitoring/dosing, et cetea) would be very useful.

Another (virtual) place to look would be the Arduino Device Forum. I just did a quick glance and found where someone posted a Grow Room Controller thread.
I just finish publishing my first big project :smiley-mr-green:. It's a grow room controller that uses an Real-time clock and the TimeAlarms library to control a grow light, the arduino takes readings using a SHT15 digital temperature and humidity sensor that allows it to maintain the temperature using a heater and exhaust fan. It also logs data and events in two separate files and organizes them in a directory structure like so: "YEAR/MM/DD/". The controller displays info using a Serial LCD display and debug info over the Serial Port.

The following post in that thread is from one of the Arduino folks, and I saw where he stated the code looked decent, good use of functions, that the code included a reasonable amount of comments (which is important if you want to actually understand what is happening and how, and can be a great way to learn how to go on to create stuff like this, yourself), et cetera. That's a great forum for things like this, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are lots (or at least several :rolleyes3 ) of things that could be useful in a grow room. To say nothing of the robotic playing card dealer (constructed of cardboard), automatic door opener, cable cutting machine, Recreating the Apollo Guidance Computer Display and Keyboard with Arduino, '80s jambox Arduino upgrade, butter robot, and approximately 10 bazillion other electronics projects that run the gambit from merely entertaining to extremely useful. Oh, to have a few bucks and still possess a teenager's mind (which I haven't for ~30 years), lol...

Here is the blog from the author of the above thread, where you can sort of read along on his journey in creating his grow room controller. It looks like he might no longer be actively developing his project - but, perhaps if you visited and posted an encouraging comment...? Additionally, you might find the various other visitors' comments to be useful (or at least interesting).

Hello everyone,

I wanna share with you my DIY Arduino project that controls CO2, Temperature and Humidity levels. As far as I've seen most commercial solutions tackle those variables independently, the purpose of my project is to have them talk to each-other and work together. Right now I'm in the testing stage of development and there are a few bugs to work out, but its generally going pretty well and the plants seem to love it ! When everything is ironed out I will share the schematics and code for interested parties to duplicate. The cost should not exceed 200$.

So the logic behind GrowOS:

If it's dark, keep the exhaust vent running on the LOW setting while monitoring for Temperature and Humidity levels. If those levels are exceeded the exhaust fan kicks in at HIGH or a dehumidifier is turned on (depending on max temp or max hum).

If it's day, check CO2 PPM levels, pump CO2 and maintain it at a predefined level (e.g. 1500ppm). If levels drop below the predefined delta ppm value (e.g 200ppm) the CO2 is engaged to bring levels up to 1500 again. While this constant CO2 monitoring/spraying routine is engaged the system keeps track of Temperature and Humidity levels as well. If the dehumidifier is unable to bring humidity levels to an acceptable range the CO2 stops and the exhaust fan kicks in at HIGH setting as a last resort until we have acceptable temperature or humidity levels again.

The display shows Temperature, Humidity, CO2 PPM and the state of each relay (right now the second line has temporary debug data).
A rotary encoder is used to program the device. If the button is pressed for more than 1.5 seconds GrowOS enters programming mode.
In programming mode you are requested to enter the values for: Max Temp, Delta Temp, Max Hum, Delta Hum, Dehum, Delta Dehum, Max PPM, Delta PPM.
To describe"Delta" I will give an example: If we have our Max Temp at 35c and our Delta Temp at 10c, the exhaust vent will engage when temperature exceeds 35c but will only stop when temperature is brought down to 25c (35 - 10 = 25).

The hardware used:

Arduino Uno clone (Funduino)
A photoresistor (light sensor)
MH-Z16 NDIR CO2 Sensor with I2C interface
DHT22 Temperature / Humidity sensor
A 4 relay board for arduino.

All sensors were neatly packed in a box that resides in the grow room, mounted on a telescopic pole to match canopy height.
The relays are in a bigger box but I still need to add a separate 5v transformer in that box for the relays.

IMG_240320.jpg
IMG_240419.jpg

IMG_240520.jpg
IMG_240922.jpg

IMG_241022.jpg
IMG_241120.jpg

IMG_241419.jpg
There must be a shortage of DHT22's. We've had to source them from three different vendors to rummage up 24 of them.
What I can say is they are accurate enough for government work and don't seem to fluctuate much from sensor to sensor. Dig this thread BTW!

Back
Top Bottom