GSC Mainlined Grow Journal - 2018

triumph2134

Welcome to my first grow journal of hopefully many! Been growing for a bit but we can all use as much advice as possible right? I want plenty of :volcano-smiley: from my girls. Lets keep this simple! ANY ADVICE IS WELCOMED ADVICE. Keep it classy.:Namaste:

Strain: Girl Scout Cookies feminized
Type: Hybrid 40% Sativa 60% indica
Stage: Veg week 4 day 1
Indoor Conditions
Medium: Fox farms Ocean Forest 100% through grow. Starting in Red Solo Cups moving to 5 gal smart pots
400w MH for veg and 3x 300w LED flower
Air: Vent in cool air 2 fans to circulate air flow.
4x2 grow tent
Watering daily while in RSC

Nutrients - FloraNova Grow/Bloom, Primordial Solutions Rootamentary/seagreen/bloom combo, Mammoth Pr
# of Plants: 2
Yield : Unknown
Plan to try the mainline method of growing.

20180131_114949_1_.jpg
20180131_114945.jpg
20180131_114953.jpg

SO I am faced with the choosing of new grow lights. It is time for me to bite the bullet and take the plunge into an updated light. My lights work perfect currently but with the advances in technology and lighting I think its time to switch. My ladies deserve the best I can give them.

Currently I am using 3 Niello 300W Grow Light. They work great for me ( see my gallery ).

I have 3 choices for lighting I am looking at.

VIPARSPECTRA 1200W - Chose due to reviews, the fact is pulls 524w from the wall, and even this cheaper lighting gets decent results.

CF Grow BlackSun-S9 Ultra-thin - Chose as it seems sturdy, it has the cobs I was searching for, cheaper than building a comparable unit and my buddy suggested it as he gets about 8oz to 1 lb per plant when he grows.

260 w Quantum Board 304 LED - Chose as I am reading amazing results and efficency with them. The also consume less energy but deliver yields from what i've seen via posts.

All 3 will get me medicine but I want more medicine, more efficently. Any advice or suggestions from everyone is appreciated.

Hi,

Your plants look great! I love seeing all the fans straight and not falling even 1 degree! They seems a bit tall so you should get the light closer! If you don't have one I highly advise to invest in a lux meter. You ll be able to place your lights to more efficient heights! Your plants will thank you.

Regarding the light I would choose the longest and largest

Hi,

Your plants look great! I love seeing all the fans straight and not falling even 1 degree! They seems a bit tall so you should get the light closer! If you don't have one I highly advise to invest in a lux meter. You ll be able to place your lights to more efficient heights! Your plants will thank you.

Regarding the light I would choose the longest and largest

Good catch! They stretched more earlier on. Not sure why other than might be bulb replacement time. Under 400w MH, lux is 16767 and at the floor. They are only 18" from the light. For grins I tested my tent and measured 42485 at the floor. I used my cheapish lux meter and my phone with the Light Meter app for fun. The results were similar. I may move them slightly closer but have ordered a new 400w MH lamp.

Today I decided to top my GSC's to the Third node. They look so.. sad without other leaves. I also moved them closer to the light since I seem to be stretching still. I need to transfer them, but that's another day. For now these ladies seem to be loving the cups.

Before topping.

20180205_153345.jpg

After topping.

20180205_154605.jpg

I plan to swap my 3x300 to a 3 panel QB 288. I believe that will be more than sufficient in my 4x2x5 tent, giving me great light coverage and a bigger harvest. Coming from LED I should see more medicine one would think given the efficiency of the light of course. . Keeping my nutes the same. LOVE my nutes. So does my freshly topped ladies. Stay tuned...

Hey - I made it over! Looking good here. Those QBs are a good choice I think. I have a single kit in my sights presently for a little winter inside grow. .

Your right they look forlorn all pruned like that - sure they'll bounce tho'. I wouldn't have the heart for it yet I don't think! Glad to come along and see how it plays out.

I'm in! You got me here with all your Keto talk! Lol

I'll catch up, looks good though .A lot of people use the fox farms Soil, good choice.

Keto? Did someone say keto? Works for me - I do it with a combination of intermittent fasting and a no sugar/ultra-low carb diet. No coffee for me tho (adrenal dysfunction - caffeine not really 'allowed') well, except about once every 4-5 months I splash out on one ..

I don't know the Fox farms, I'm experimenting making my own soil (so far so good), but it seems to do many folk well... (I have heard whispers about gnats tho'). Do you add any minerals to the mix?

Hey - I made it over! Looking good here. Those QBs are a good choice I think. I have a single kit in my sights presently for a little winter inside grow. .

Your right they look forlorn all pruned like that - sure they'll bounce tho'. I wouldn't have the heart for it yet I don't think! Glad to come along and see how it plays out.

Keto? Did someone say keto? Works for me - I do it with a combination of intermittent fasting and a no sugar/ultra-low carb diet. No coffee for me tho (adrenal dysfunction - caffeine not really 'allowed') well, except about once every 4-5 months I splash out on one ..

I don't know the Fox farms, I'm experimenting making my own soil (so far so good), but it seems to do many folk well... (I have heard whispers about gnats tho'). Do you add any minerals to the mix?

Usually I'll add guano and worm castings and more perilite but currently I'm experimenting with using those Primordial Solutions nutes. I've read a lot about them and am curious as to what they are capable of. I am using them in place of my typical soil meets even more goodness lol. I've never had a that issue using the soil. They probably over water or have to high humidity to begin with causing the gnat issue. Love my smart pots! Lol

Yeah that's true about the gnats and dampness. Good call on the worm castings. It's the one thing missing for me at the moment. Next week I'm setting up my worm cafe - should have my own castings by the time my little indoor project comes around. What's the smart pots? Are they fabric, like geo pots? Or the ones with the funky spikes? - o wait, that's air pots I think...

Edit: yep - just saw your pics in 'the new guy' thread... fabric pots .. Awesome looking plants too - really nice work .

Don't mind me Triumph, I like to follow Grampa Tokin around and steal his velcro shoes when he falls asleep for his afternoon nap.

Looking forward to seeing you Mainline that poor little Girl Scout! Bring em up to like the bondage nice and young!!

Don't mind me Triumph, I like to follow Grampa Tokin around and steal his velcro shoes when he falls asleep for his afternoon nap.

Looking forward to seeing you Mainline that poor little Girl Scout! Bring em up to like the bondage nice and young!!

Oh no! Not another like minded person who also wants to grow! Lol Welcome! Take a rip and watch me make them ladies beg for punishment!

That much trimming for my mainlining I though for sure would have put these ladies off a bit. They have new growth popping as we speak. I'll get images later. They are still green and happy as ever. For now I am stopping foliar feeds until I see more new growth. They are still in the red solo cups for the time being. This weekend I will be taking them from the cups and transferring them into there new homes, 5 gal Smart Pots filled with fox farms ocean forest. They will go into the tent under led for the remainder of the grow.

This should prove to be exciting!!!!!!!!!! I need results!No trying. Only results!

Subbing in if you don't mind Triumph? :)

Quite excited to see how this turns out. I've not seen topping done to the first growth before. Not too fimiliar with the term mainlining but I'll have a quick lookup :)

Subbing in if you don't mind Triumph? :)

Quite excited to see how this turns out. I've not seen topping done to the first growth before. Not too fimiliar with the term mainlining but I'll have a quick lookup :)

Purkle, you are more than welcome to join! Mainlining or manifolding is a technique used in combination with topping to give you 8 or more large yielding colas vs a bunch of smaller ones. You create an even manifold the plants use deliver nutrients to each cola individually but evenly. Since all other growth is removed, the plant concentrates all growth on the colas left, providing bigger buds and hopefully yields. Combined with 320w QB in my 4x2x5 tent.. I think were going to see some interesting stuff here. Cant wait. Not flipping to flower til the beginning or mid march ( maybe 8-10 week veg). Could go earlier if the ladies want it.

Purkle, you are more than welcome to join! Mainlining or manifolding is a technique used in combination with topping to give you 8 or more large yielding colas vs a bunch of smaller ones. You create an even manifold the plants use deliver nutrients to each cola individually but evenly. Since all other growth is removed, the plant concentrates all growth on the colas left, providing bigger buds and hopefully yields. Combined with 320w QB in my 4x2x5 tent.. I think were going to see some interesting stuff here. Cant wait. Not flipping to flower til the beginning or mid march ( maybe 8-10 week veg). Could go earlier if the ladies want it.
Thanks Triumph!

I like it! Would you top the girls more than just the once to get a few main colas going or would you just control the growth from the two mains so any other growth is at the same height? (if that's makes sense?)

Very exciting!!

Thanks Triumph!

I like it! Would you top the girls more than just the once to get a few main colas going or would you just control the growth from the two mains so any other growth is at the same height? (if that's makes sense?)

Very exciting!!

I would top 3 times giving me 8 main colas all other growth outside of the main colas would be removed and used for clone or oil. If you remove the growth other than what the colas have, the plant has nothing else to feed BUT main colas. That SHOULD produce 8 big main colas.. well.. I hope..lol.

Back
Top Bottom