Guerilla Growing Outdoor - Want To Use Cedar Chips?

hey1

Hey, has anyone used cedar chips on their outdoor plants?

By using cedar chips on top of the soil, to help retain alittle moisture, will it make the plant taste funny later? I'm losing too much moisture outside and I can't water them evey day.

I know of the polymers but all of my plants have already been transplanted, so I am looking for other methods.

Thanks a bunch.

make sure to flush out the cedar chips so the PH isn't way off

The cedar chips won't be mixed in the soil, but just laying right on top of the soil.

Will the chips change the pH level?

Thanks.

when you water the water will go though the ceder and the water will be either high or low PH

Also bugs love cedar so you might want to use something else. Just plain old cardboard works well.Unwaxed

Not so sure about that one. People use cedar to repel certain types of insects. The 1st example I can think of is my mom used put it in her closet to keep moths from eating through clothes as an alternative to moth balls. With that said I disagree because I don't recall cedar ever attracting any other type bugs. If they loved it there would've been a myriad of insects trying to get to her cedar repellent. Dunno about the PH fluctuation resulting from pour water over the cedar chips, but I think on the bug tip U might be partially covered. As far as the watering part goes (being that this is a guerrilla garden), if you have a water source near by an outdoor wick system is a thought for ur next grow. U can dig out hole large enough for water storage container, place the container in and camouflage it (just a thought). This way at least you know that the plants will be getting some water. Next The only 2 things to work out is placing the reservoir at a slightly higher elevation that the plants ( a hill side maybe) and refilling the reservoir. This is pure speculation. Hope some of the info helps.

Of all of the mulch and ground coverings available, why did u choose cedar? I'm curious.
:peace:

"Of all of the mulch and ground coverings available, why did u choose cedar? I'm curious."

I didn't know of any other stuff that can help me with moisture retention besides the crystals polymers. I don't have access to any water outside, so I have to haul all the water to the site which is alot and also I'm worried about being seen. I try to do as much of that when it's dark but it's hard to see at night. I'm growing outside in the woods. What other mulch and ground coverings are available? Sorry, I'm new at this. It's my first grow.

There are some many items out there to help us grow, I can't believe that there aren't materials out there to help prevent some moisture from evaporating from the plant so I don't have to travel to the plants every day to water them.

Here's a solution I found in the Indoor/Outdoor MMJ Grower's Bible "an easy inexpensive way to water and feed your plants is to cut a (5mm) hole in the bottom of a 5 Gal (19 L) bucket and fill with water and water soluble fertilizer. Place one bucket by each plant near the stem. Bucket should be refilled every wo days during the hottest weather" (Cervantes 143) . That sounds feasible. I gotta look up what other type of mulch would be cool. Get back to u on that one. :smokin:

*Update* yea get some mulch...or Pack a back pack full of grass clippings or like Weed420 said unwaxed cardboard, newspaper (layer AT LEAST 6 pgs, preferably 12, cover and wet it), native foliage on the forest floor lots of options. The only concern I had with the cedar is the potential PH issue. Never considered that. U could always test it at home. run h2o (the same water u use on ur plants) over the same cedar chips, catch the runoff in a drain pan or bowl, and PH it. See what happens so u can make the best decision for ur plants. Don't be alarmed unless u see the same problem with all plant surrounded by cedar chips. My 2 cent, hope u can spend em. Peace

Thanks for all of the advice. I will try the newspaper and do a test run with the chips on one of my plants to see if that is viable for the others.

Back
Top Bottom