Guy Does BC Bud Depot Purps & CBDurban

I can't quote you a good temp at the top of the canopy. Not a clue really I never check it other than to use the old hand at the top of the canopy thing. My thermometer is at canopy level on the side of the tent. I get very little heat from my light. I run a 6" inline fan to cool it. I am moving to much air through the light as it is hard to warm the tent with it. This fan does not do well with a power adjuster. It likes high speed or nothing. The same set up in the 48" tent is doing just fine. So the big tent probably just has too high of a volume of air to heat the tent well.

Another thing about those cool tubes. I like both of mine. While the smaller one does a good job of spreading light. The larger reflector on the bigger one sure spreads the light out nicely. It might be worth a look. It is the same tube with a larger hang over the top reflector. Looked and is kind of cheese but it works well. Not sure but you might be able to just purchase the reflector itself. You could use some better screws on the reflector and it would be a lot sturdier. Something I will do when I set it up again. I knew I would be packing it back up so I left it the way it was for now. The bigger reflector would spread the light really well in your flower room.

I can't quote you a good temp at the top of the canopy. Not a clue really I never check it other than to use the old hand at the top of the canopy thing. My thermometer is at canopy level on the side of the tent. I get very little heat from my light. I run a 6" inline fan to cool it. I am moving to much air through the light as it is hard to warm the tent with it. This fan does not do well with a power adjuster. It likes high speed or nothing. The same set up in the 48" tent is doing just fine. So the big tent probably just has too high of a volume of air to heat the tent well.

Another thing about those cool tubes. I like both of mine. While the smaller one does a good job of spreading light. The larger reflector on the bigger one sure spreads the light out nicely. It might be worth a look. It is the same tube with a larger hang over the top reflector. Looked and is kind of cheese but it works well. Not sure but you might be able to just purchase the reflector itself. You could use some better screws on the reflector and it would be a lot sturdier. Something I will do when I set it up again. I knew I would be packing it back up so I left it the way it was for now. The bigger reflector would spread the light really well in your flower room.
Thanks for the response brother, can you do me a favor and snap a picture of your reflector if it's handy? Very rarely do we take pictures of upwards LOL. My reflector came with my cool to oh, I have tried to bend it upwards in the past to get a little bit better spread on the light but it's pretty tough material LOL.

Maybe we are not running the same tubes. The reflectors on mine are really thin. The wings on the small tube were small but thin. Here are a couple pictures top and bottom of mine. Lights were off so they are not very good.
View media item 1660453
View media item 1660452
I see, a sealed unit. Mine is not like that. Mines a sealed cool tube with a bat wing style reflector above it. I'm liking the sealed hood look though. You said yours doesnt help with heat really, correct?

Ok I was wrong there. It is my only heat source so it does heat the tent. I am just running so much air through the tube it doesn't get to warm in the tent. I don't want to slow down my exhaust air so I am kind of just dealing with it. Temps run between 55 and 73 degrees F. Plants are doing better without the high temps I got before. I am really surprised how well they are doing with those temps.

My reflectors are from ipower and don't cost much. Both are less than $100 each.

Ok I was wrong there. It is my only heat source so it does heat the tent. I am just running so much air through the tube it doesn't get to warm in the tent. I don't want to slow down my exhaust air so I am kind of just dealing with it. Temps run between 55 and 73 degrees F. Plants are doing better without the high temps I got before. I am really surprised how well they are doing with those temps.

My reflectors are from ipower and don't cost much. Both are less than $100 each.
I like the I power products, I almost bought one of their bowl trimmers. I'll look into one.

So your girls don't have issues with the 55? I had mine down that low and they really hated it..... Turned my buds all purple LMAO.

Now that's not very nice, leaving your sisters in the dust like that..... You weren't even the first one out of the soil.

Yeah I like I mentioned I was surprised by how well they do in those temps. Main difference might have a lot to do with how you are growing. With soil my roots stay warmer through the darkness. My temps are only air temp. I figure the pots and the plants themselves are not nearly as cold. I put a thermometer on one of the strings holding branches up. It is towards the middle of the tent and under the canopy. I will be monitoring these temps for a bit to see the differences. At some point I will try and do a soil temp to see just what they are.

No use doing it now as I am not planning a change in the middle of flower. Then I will be shutting down for a while. No idea what the new grow will be. I do know that I am going to want more control. I know now what is lost at temps above 80. Now its time to see what they can do imperfect temps. If I can I am going to try and hit 65 to 75 on temps. Humidity I will deal with when I see what it is.

Color is always a factor with cooler temps. I get more colors than most people get. Even strains that should be green can show some colors. My Genius plants were mostly purple, not what I would expect from Cinderella's sister lol. Cinderella has some pretty reds though. Color don't get you high but I don't mind it showing up.

Yeah I like I mentioned I was surprised by how well they do in those temps. Main difference might have a lot to do with how you are growing. With soil my roots stay warmer through the darkness. My temps are only air temp. I figure the pots and the plants themselves are not nearly as cold. I put a thermometer on one of the strings holding branches up. It is towards the middle of the tent and under the canopy. I will be monitoring these temps for a bit to see the differences. At some point I will try and do a soil temp to see just what they are.

No use doing it now as I am not planning a change in the middle of flower. Then I will be shutting down for a while. No idea what the new grow will be. I do know that I am going to want more control. I know now what is lost at temps above 80. Now its time to see what they can do imperfect temps. If I can I am going to try and hit 65 to 75 on temps. Humidity I will deal with when I see what it is.

Color is always a factor with cooler temps. I get more colors than most people get. Even strains that should be green can show some colors. My Genius plants were mostly purple, not what I would expect from Cinderella's sister lol. Cinderella has some pretty reds though. Color don't get you high but I don't mind it showing up.
It's funny because my brother always told me that you can drastically increase trichome production by having your plants at cooler temperatures through the later stages of flower. Yet what you're saying, is that plants that have color showing aren't necessarily the highest in trichome production. That all being said, I'm getting pretty high off this weed LOL, also....... I haven't actually seen my brother finish a plant with great success LMAO. Sadly, @KCCO 77 can attest to that.

What I meant about color is for the strains that were bred for color. Early purple strains were known to be lower in THC. Lots has changed since then. Plants that turn purple without cold temps do so because they have a purple gene instead of a green. Plants need the green genes because they have the chorifile needed for growth. What shows up at cooler temps is a natural thing. With my grow temps if it has color it will come out. Cooler temps late in flower may help I don't know I have them so I just have to run with it LMAO.

I think anything you can do to make life as natural as possible could help. Fall temps usually cool down so it is just one more thing telling the plant to hurry and finish. With my constantly cool temps I don't know if it matters as much. With all things considered wifes tails and all. If you were to raise the lights dropped the light hours and cooled the temps then buds should be covered in trichomes LOL. All these things have been mentioned to increase trichome production. They also all happen naturally in the fall. All these things also seem to make then flower and finish faster. Faster is the thing. Do you need it. Some things take time, faster will just f**k them up.

A plant is going to do what it is going to do. We can only help it along the way. Or hurt I have did that too LMAO.

It's funny because my brother always told me that you can drastically increase trichome production by having your plants at cooler temperatures through the later stages of flower. Yet what you're saying, is that plants that have color showing aren't necessarily the highest in trichome production. That all being said, I'm getting pretty high off this weed LOL, also....... I haven't actually seen my brother finish a plant with great success LMAO. Sadly, @KCCO 77 can attest to that.
LMAO he will get his shit together one day. His outdoor plants looked great last summer. What happened in the months to follow? I figured he had a successful harvest. Maybe this year lol. He needs a nice quick strain up where he is. The cool temps and high RH is a bitch in the fall when it rains. Keep me posted about this weekend and is that landrace plant you have going ready to give clones yet??

What I meant about color is for the strains that were bred for color. Early purple strains were known to be lower in THC. Lots has changed since then. Plants that turn purple without cold temps do so because they have a purple gene instead of a green. Plants need the green genes because they have the chorifile needed for growth. What shows up at cooler temps is a natural thing. With my grow temps if it has color it will come out. Cooler temps late in flower may help I don't know I have them so I just have to run with it LMAO.

I think anything you can do to make life as natural as possible could help. Fall temps usually cool down so it is just one more thing telling the plant to hurry and finish. With my constantly cool temps I don't know if it matters as much. With all things considered wifes tails and all. If you were to raise the lights dropped the light hours and cooled the temps then buds should be covered in trichomes LOL. All these things have been mentioned to increase trichome production. They also all happen naturally in the fall. All these things also seem to make then flower and finish faster. Faster is the thing. Do you need it. Some things take time, faster will just f**k them up.

A plant is going to do what it is going to do. We can only help it along the way. Or hurt I have did that too LMAO.
It'll be interesting to see this round if any of the weed goes purple or not? I have definitely seen purple tendencies in buds in the past, but the ones that I just grew that went entirely purple we're off the hook. Now that I have my temperatures and humidity in check, it'll be interesting to see what happens this round? No signs of purple yet, and the past it would have been here by now.

LMAO he will get his shit together one day. His outdoor plants looked great last summer. What happened in the months to follow? I figured he had a successful harvest. Maybe this year lol. He needs a nice quick strain up where he is. The cool temps and high RH is a bitch in the fall when it rains. Keep me posted about this weekend and is that landrace plant you have going ready to give clones yet??
Oh you know alright lmao. He seems to think (or seemed to) that you can just put your pot in the ground and leave it until Thanksgiving LMAO.
Van's ATFs did well in pots on the deck. That's where he scored his "over winter" stash, lol. But still, dude, try feeding them a bit and watch!
The Pakistan Valley Indica isn't big enough yet buddy, perfection takes time lol.
Heres the Genius too.

Both just had lights turn on, look how the high indica is already praying to the light. Probably due to it's original genetics and location. Yes, I know it was likely born in a lab, but she really seems to thrive in the cooler temperatures. At night, in my veg tent it gets down to probably 68 F, even with heat on.
Heres a few bud shots from flower. Week 5-6 ish.

Look at the difference in 3 days in veg.
Monday......
Last night.....

It'll be interesting to see this round if any of the weed goes purple or not? I have definitely seen purple tendencies in buds in the past, but the ones that I just grew that went entirely purple we're off the hook. Now that I have my temperatures and humidity in check, it'll be interesting to see what happens this round? No signs of purple yet, and the past it would have been here by now.

A lot of purple is a timing thing. It comes later in flower cold or not. My summer grow had no purple but I don't know that the strains have it in their genetics either.

I have to mention. You said your brother grew Purple Betty. The fact that Purple Betty isn't your favorite weed by now means it didn't finish very good. You mentioned your brother wasn't very good at finishing plants. DON"T give him more of them. Something is wrong. Probably they won't work outdoors. Growing them that way is probably just wasting them. The Purple Betty are the best seeds I sent you. Not every plant but if you have 5 females you have at least one incredible plants a couple great ones and a green pheno or 2. The right pheno of P.B. will be the strongest and the best tasting Purps you will ever smoke.

I really think it will do better for you indoors.

A lot of purple is a timing thing. It comes later in flower cold or not. My summer grow had no purple but I don't know that the strains have it in their genetics either.

I have to mention. You said your brother grew Purple Betty. The fact that Purple Betty isn't your favorite weed by now means it didn't finish very good. You mentioned your brother wasn't very good at finishing plants. DON"T give him more of them. Something is wrong. Probably they won't work outdoors. Growing them that way is probably just wasting them. The Purple Betty are the best seeds I sent you. Not every plant but if you have 5 females you have at least one incredible plants a couple great ones and a green pheno or 2. The right pheno of P.B. will be the strongest and the best tasting Purps you will ever smoke.

I really think it will do better for you indoors.
Ok so what the hell am I supposed to do with that, lmao. Now next round DEFINITELY has to include the Betty's. I guess we finally put all the pieces of the puzzle together here LMAO.
His successes, few and far between.
So the P.B. how does she grow, indica dominant, any extra nutritional req's I should know about, lol?

I have never had too many problems with P.B. 2 main phenos. Taller single stalked plants and a shorter bushy one. They fit is tents well because the single stalk ones do well in the outside row. Pretty sure the bushier one is better. The best pheno I have found is a multi colored bushy one. There are some great purple ones but the best one is harder to find. For SCROG you would need a bushy pheno. The single stalked plants can be topped but some slow way down if you do.

It might be a little sensitive to Nitrogen to start out. I notice a few things from plants started in nutrient rich soils like FF or MG. Nothing major. To produce you are going to need to feed it pretty well after it is established. Mine usually produce the same as other strains. It can do better I just have never tried to push it much. With as few problems I have had with Purple Betty I would call it a easy to grow strain. Getting the most out of it might take some practice and the right pheno. There are lots of similarities to Crown Royal. Nutrient levels you used for the C.R. should work OK.

The biggest thing about Purple now days is it is just a color. Everything seems to have it now days. With low grow room temps they become more prevalent. Purple from the beginning might still have some strength issues but not in all cases. The purple that shows late is just like fall leaves of other plants. When they start to lose their chlorophyll what is left could be any color from yellow to purple. Some will even have some of all colors. Purple is great but the reds are cool looking also.

Thanks for the growing outline, I'll be keeping an eye on my seedlings. I've seen some very pretty buds on this buds on this forum, just go to find the right pheno as you stated. My temps and humidity are now dialed in. I get transpiration on leaves in both veg and flower, so I'm rocking that. The sealing of my door a lot better has something to do with that I'm sure. I wonder if next grow it might be a good idea to try out the CO2? I do have to buy a regulator but I already scored my tank.

@Jackalope, Before I forget, I'm shipping out some stuff this week, I'll be sure to mail you along with them.

Had my first opportunity on the weekend to watch a hydraulic rosin press in action. We have a friend that I am helping out with some plants as it is for very first attempt at growing her own product. She has been buying from a dispensary until now. She bought a ten ton hydraulic press intended for bending small pieces of metal at a local auto shop when it was on sale. She bought her plates on Amazon, each one has its own thermostat and temperature controller. She squished twice while I was there, 1 was half an ounce of medipot and the other one was half an ounce of Blue Dream. Each squish got pretty close to 3 grams, so that is excellent recovery as far as I'm concerned. Most I ever got with alcohol was just under 20%. She was using 35 Micron silk bags and once the squish is over, she reuses the product in those bags in some sort of butter recipe. Pretty awesome, nothing goes to waste this way.
Needless to say, in 20 minutes, she had squished an ounce and with no muss no fuss. I might be rethinking my extraction method as using the alcohol usually takes hours boiling off in a double boiler to produce any sort of RSO. Not to mention that the rosin that she is creating , also looks much cleaner.

The girls last night. I noticed that the battery in my LED microscope was dead and I noticed a little tiny Speck on one of my girls in veg so I decided to give them all what I'll call a preventative spray with Neem. I cannot take any chances, especially with warmer temperatures on the way. Although you would think growing outside in and out building in a Canadian winter would be horrifying, what scares me most is spring and eventually summer coming. That's when I am susceptible to bugs, anybody who's followed along with my previous threads knows my plight when it comes to spider mites..
VEG 2 nights ago, after a spray and dry.
My Genius and Pakistan Indica.

I have a good friend that owns an electronics store around the corner from my house, he's a young dude and Pakistani. He's been coming to me for the past year and a half for weed, he's a good guy to know LOL. That all being said, he's going home to get married in two weeks and he is going to take a serious look for some good quality seeds while he's home. I told him to throw them in the mail for me, can't wait to see what he could potentially come up with? He's from northern Pakistan.

Now that my stretch is complete, and I've had my girls building up their reserves for the past few weeks, I can see the buds are really starting to fill in now. Before you were just sporadic flowers on every node, not so much now.

I think that's all for now, make sure you guys have an excellent day!

Back
Top Bottom