Hafta's 100% Sativa Panama Multi-Stage Harvest CST Plus Droughting

If you've read my retro-Journal using CST you know I'm all about providing constant stress to the plant from germination through the third week of flower in an effort to force the plant to develop a root system that far exceeds the needs of the plant.
This plant is a feminized photo-period Panama from a seed supplier that is not one of our sponsors. The seed was vacuum sealed and stored in the dark in the refrigerator for about a year before germination.
Today is day 61 of flower, day 105 from germination. It will go into 48+ hours of darkness tonight before Phase 1 of harvest.
F61D105 trichs-1.jpg
F61D105 trichs-3.jpg
F61D105 trichs-4.jpg
F61D105-1.JPG

Interesting trich florets!

Following darkness I will be removing approximately 70 - 75 8" - 12" colas for trim and dry.
This will be equivalent to a deer eating 60-70% of the plant. PANIC mode!(at least for the plant). I do not defoliate for this exact purpose. I will be exposing some leaves to direct light for the first time and expect the plant to try to make the remaining buds viable as soon as possible and to try to protect them with additional trichome production.
Once the newly exposed leaves turn dark green (compared to their current color) I will attempt to drought the plant.
I have identified a couple of buds that will not be touched and will serve as controls to be photographed at the different stages.
F61D105-2.JPG
F61D105-3.JPG

The photos will be used for comparison to gauge the different stress effects on trichome production. The vertical control bud will be used to determine leaf wilt angle for the purpose of ending the drought. Depending on the color of trichomes, i may let the plant recover from drought for a few days before darkness and harvest.

This should be interesting. Please comment and make suggestions.:Namaste:

I'm think I'm pulling up a chair.

I have yet to see a harvest pre drought and a comparative.

Trich shots are perfect for these purposes

I'm in @Maritimer @Azimuth @InTheShed ?

:popcorn:

Having router issues. Should have a new one tonight. I'll try to catch up. Have some photos and data.
@scottreid1966
Too much light, too early .... almost. It causes a little bit of intentional stunting and also seems to accelerate root growth to keep up with light availability. VERY touchy.
On someone else's WiFi. Gotta go............

Phase One Harvest. This is for the "get up and go" (trout fishing) sativa.

The plant ended up being in total darkness for 62 hours before harvest ( Monday March 28) Here is a photo when the cabinet doors were opened prior to harvest. Interestingly, there is almost no discernible leaf droop from lack of light

Pre Harvest F64D108.JPG

Here is a photo the day following Phase 1 harvest.

PP1 D1 Top View.JPG

I left 10 -15 colas, the darker leaves. Most of them are around the edges where the LED wasn't quite as intense and the supplemental 4,000K, 9 watt lights weren't sufficient.
As you can tell, following harvest I put the LED very close to the new canopy to inform the plant it needed to protect itself from too much light (more trichomes). The newly exposed leaves must have felt as though they just went on their first visit to a nude beach and fell asleep in the sun for six hours. Some didn't survive.
I was curious about whether trichomes continue to change color after harvest so I selected a bud to be photographed periodically as it dries.
Harvest Trich Test (2).JPG
Harvest Trich Test.JPG

Here are the harvest day trichs
P1H1-1.jpg
P1H1-2.jpg

We harvested 86 colas ranging from 6-10 inches in length. The one in the photo is on an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of paper.
Cut weight was 1038 grams
Manicured weight was 894 grams
The final harvest weight is still to be determined.
This plant was topped at the fourth node. No branches were tied down and no super-cropping was performed.

fine looking plant indeed,, for sure lookin stressed,, well done friend,,

but,, 100% sativa?? i see near nothing 'sativa' looking about that plant. guess i gotta get out more

karma sent friend

@nivek,
I also was surprised by the small internodal spacing and the width of the leaf fingers.
The seed is a Panama Fem from a reputable supplier (who shall remain nameless on a thread).
The always essential "test buds", taken four weeks early and right at harvest, had the Sativa effects.
All that being said, this is the least "airy" Sativa I have grown.:Namaste:

Sine I was a little surprised NOT to see more amber trichs I did a little more research. Apparently some Sativa strains (and phenos) do not turn amber, or very few trichs turn amber at all. The above test should probably be performed on a hybrid or an Indica? The test was to quantify the maturation of trichomes during the drying process.

Sine I was a little surprised NOT to see more amber trichs I did a little more research. Apparently some Sativa strains (and phenos) do not turn amber, or very few trichs turn amber at all. The above test should probably be performed on a hybrid or an Indica? The test was to quantify the maturation of trichomes during the drying process.
Well done, Hafta! Beautiful pics.

You have went and done it. I am more than curious about ways we could co-tinker. I want to follow along with your drought study ifin you don't mind. I promise to keep my polish mouth quiet as a mouse lessen you call me out @. :love:

You have went and done it. I am more than curious about ways we could co-tinker. I want to follow along with your drought study ifin you don't mind. I promise to keep my polish mouth quiet as a mouse lessen you call me out @. :love:
My backpacking/fishing buddy is Polish. Please feel free to comment and/or re-direct at will.

I love this experiment. I'm in.

Back
Top Bottom