Haight Solid State LED Grow Journal

Here is this weeks update.

8/14/09

mazar5.jpg

Mazar at week 6

diesel6.jpg

NYC Diesel at week 4 - starting to flower

last2.jpg

These are the last two for the journal, they are still in veg.

The one on the left is Grapefruit (my personal favorite) and Blue Cheese on the right. Blue Cheese is now 13 inches tall and growing about 0.5 inches a day.

I like to start a plant every week or so instead of doing batches. I keep 4-5 plants going all the time so for the sake of comparison I'm counting these 4 plants as one complete cycle.

So sfhaze, if you are running two of the 400 replacements for flower why do you want to see a test run with the 800? Wouldn't that be the same? Or am I misunderstanding. When you say you're achieving the same results as a 400 hps is that based on two 400 led's or one? Thanks

So sfhaze, if you are running two of the 400 replacements for flower why do you want to see a test run with the 800? Wouldn't that be the same? Or am I misunderstanding. When you say you're achieving the same results as a 400 hps is that based on two 400 led's or one? Thanks

I'm more limited by my space then the light I believe. I want to see what a normal grow would look like.

I'll end up getting about 2 ounces from 1 light, more or less - I don't really know yet, but I'm pretty sure I will get at least that unless something bad happens. The small mazar test plant I ran yielded 0.38 ounces, her sister will likely be over 0.5 ounces since she is quite a bit larger. I could run 4 plants like her easy with 1 light. So for two of the 400s or the 800 I'm pretty sure someone could get at least 4 ounces - but with a larger space and larger plants it might be 8 ounces or even more. That's what I would like to see,

sfhaze

This thread and a couple of other questions I have, got me to join this site.:nicethread:

Been into growing since the early 90s and into LED flashlights since around 2000 or so.

Have seen how far the LEDs have come in flashlights and have no doubt as far as the future for grow lights.:Rasta:

Used to be able to play with the SoFla sun, but moved north and now have to look at different methods.:yummy:

Keep it up, you have my attention.

DD

This week's update

8/28/09

mazar8.jpg

Mazar, week 8 ready for harvest

diesel8.jpg

Diesel at week 6, she got a little too hot this week and has some brown spots on some leaves but is still okay.

bcng.jpg

The blue cheese and grapefruit still in veg.

I will be harvesting the Mazar and I have another Diesel in Veg to take her place to keep 4 plants going, but it won't be part of the tally.

Hey Thanks SS,

Mazar is a classic indica with a smooth, mild flavor and a potent stoned effect. It's great for late at night to help you sleep or unwinding after work. It's good right away, with little curing. I had a couple of pheno types, the other one had a lot more leaf in the bud and yielded more, but I liked this one with less leaf, and hard buds.

It's been good to keep a journal, helps me improve. The whole quest for "bud of the month" wasn't even on my radar. My concerns are more about having a variety of really good weed without paying hundreds of dollars per month. The strains I grow have been selected more for taste and potency. I will concede to PitViper that I can't grow the monster buds with my 90W light, but that was never my goal and looking around at the other journals you need at least a 600W HPS to get those monster buds.

Mazar is pretty short, mine was 25 inches tall. The shortest strain I have is the grapefruit, but mazar is second.

Here is the freshly harvested mazar. I trim the buds and dry them on this rack. They take 3 days to dry and then they go to glass bowls for curing.

mharvest.jpg

Looking great!

A quick question. Does the Cheese have a low odor during veg?

The reason I ask is, I have a plant, no ID, very obvious Indica dominate, with the same 3 point leaves, close internodes and a deep, deep green. Leaves are very wide, even for an Indica. No stress and the plant is very healthy.

The thing is, there is no skunk smell. Just the smell of green vegetation if you will. My tomato plants smell stronger than this!

Nice not having to worry about odor control, but at the same time there is the worry that no smell=no potency.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

DD

Hey DD,

The cheese doesn't have much smell during veg. During flower it is real stinky and has a very distinctive musky odor. I guess that's the "cheese" smell. It seems to me more like gym socks. I don't really like it much but after about 3 weeks of curing the taste mellows out and ends up being real good. It's very potent and plant grows and flowers very fast.

Thanks to you both.

The longer version of this question is over in the 'seeds/strains sub forum, but the short version is, I was given some seeds, all from the same bud that we smoked. Very potent stuff, but he didn't name it.

Ended up with 2 females and 1 male. The male has flowered and gone, but I saved pollen.

Aside from both having the 3 point leaves, the females look like 2 different strains. 1 has VERY wide leaves (some better than 3/4" across), deep, deep green, and very short internodes. Just flat out beautiful!

The other has narrower leaves (not sativa narrow), longer internodes and is a pale lime green. Nice, but the internodes are too long for my taste. I like short bushy plants.

All were grown outside and healthy and happy, till I saw the male go into flower and the fems start to, then they got moved inside 18/6 till I could get clones. Got 12+ clones of each and then they went back outside and are about 2 weeks into flower. I'll pollinate some buds in a week or 2.

The differences in the phenos made me think that this was a F2, since F1's are usually pretty close in looks. Maybe not.

I'll know more in a few weeks, like to go ahead and do a flowering chamber and whatnot for the clones. Right now, I'm not out much of anything but my time.

If these are anything like the bud that they came from, it will be well worth the effort.

Thanks!

DD

Looks good, but out of curiosity how did that yield compare to using other lights? Did you seem to get about the same more or less? or a lot less? Thanks, just been looking around and this is like the only LED grow journal i've seen thats newer than 07' so seeing if things have been changing up any. Again, looks very nice!

Looks good, but out of curiosity how did that yield compare to using other lights? Did you seem to get about the same more or less? or a lot less? Thanks, just been looking around and this is like the only LED grow journal i've seen thats newer than 07' so seeing if things have been changing up any. Again, looks very nice!

My first test plants had lower yield, but much faster flowering times versus the older LEDs. The plants were a lot smaller since they didn't stretch nearly as much. I've been in the process of re-tuning with longer veg times and the shorter flower time. The yield ls ending up being about the same, but with the improved flowering time - I'll know more after a few more runs. The grapefruit is the fastest, it only needs 7 weeks to flower.

I much prefer these lights, they spread the light evenly and grow more normal plants. Their 15 LEDs are 4x the CREE's, so it's like 60 of the CREE XB- just a bit more light then the Prycron or the lightblaze. But it's the added white LEDs that seems to have fixed a lot of problems. I can confirm complete disaster trying to grow seedlings with other LEDs but with these, the seedlings grew okay. I grew the NYC Diesel mom from a seedling using these lights.

very nice, sounds good. Thanks. Yeah, short flower times is a definite plus 8). Look forward to future journals if you do anymore as you go on.

This weeks update

9/4/09

mazweighs.jpg

Mazar was harvested 1 week ago, came to 0.476oz just short of a half ounce.

cab7.jpg

Shot looking down into the cabinet. Diesel at week 7 is still budding up and will need at least two more weeks is on the left. Then there is Blue cheese at week 1 and on the right is grapefruit at week 0. Grapefruit will be our last plant, she will be done in 7 weeks - just watch.

I know that picture isn't exactly clear but I don't want to move the Diesel around anymore. She really got hurt by the heat we have been having. I changed my ventilation so she gets a lot more air and seems to be doing better. She keeps adding more bud, so I'm going to just let her run. This was my first attempt with this plant, maybe I should have stuck with the ones I know better. She is a nice sized plant and the buds are starting to get heavy, moving her around alot isn't a good idea.

I have another Diesel in veg that will be added in a couple of days, getting us back up to 4 plants but the second diesel won't be part of the tally for one "run".

Back
Top Bottom