Haight Solid State LED Grow Journal

sfhaze

Hey, I recently upgraded my LED grow cabinet to Haight Solid State LED grow lights. Lots of people are pretty skeptical about LEDs since many of the products out there don't really grow all that well but I'm getting good results.

I started this journal to help convince some of the skeptics.

I use a PPF-400 model in the veg closet, here it is:

veg8.jpg

After veg, they move into the utility cabinet to flower. Here is the cabinet, it's just a large plastic utility cabinet from Lowes with 2 of the 400 model.

mjutcab1.jpg

The bottom shelf is all grapefruit, so kind of boring. This log will follow activity on the top shelf. I started the log a couple of weeks ago in another thread. The following pictures have been posted before but I wanted to bring everyone up to date.

6/26/09
These are two mazar sisters, the one on the left is 4.5 weeks into flower and the one on the right is still is veg. The mazar on the right is the first plant we will follow all the way though flowering.

msazar_sisters.jpg

7/2/09
Update, the plant on the left is the young mazar and it just started flowering, she was 18 inches tall. Her older sister 5.5 weeks into flowering in on the right.

maz_s.jpg

7/10/09
Left to right is the younger mazar now 1 week into flower, her older sister now 6.5 weeks into flower and a NYC diesel still fininshing up in veg to replace the older mazar.
sisterplus.jpg

7/17/09
Finally something new; this weeks update. Our mazar now two weeks into flowering and the NYC diesel just started. The mazar is now 24 inches tall and already starting to bud.
mandn.jpg

i'll help.

Haight Solid State PPF-400 LED Grow light
400W HPS replacement
The ideal size for vegetative growth of full sun loving plants
Covers approximately 1 sq meter (30 x 40 inches)
15 - 6W LEDs
Red, blue and white LEDs for a complete spectrum
Uses only 90W typical
High/Low power control
120V indoor use only
10 x 20 x 1 inch
2.5 lbs

I have 3 of the PPF-400's. One used for veg, and two used for flower. There are pictures of all 3 in the first post. Thanks for posting the specs.

I have a 4 inch fan flowing air out of the cabinet and through a carbon filter.

The older mazar sister was a test run with these new lights, she ended up being smaller them I'm used to or want because she flowered faster and stretched less then with the older LEDs I had been using - she was flowered with these lights, I don't remember what lights I used for veg on her.

The younger mazar is the first real subject for this journal she was vegged under the Haight Solid State lights. She was vegged until she was taller then her older sister and was 18 when started to flower, she is now 24 and looking good.

The newest plant is the NYC Diesel and she has just started flowering.

What up, sfhaze!! The ladies are looking very healthy! I can't speak for everyone who reads this journal, but as for me, I am really happy that you have decided to stick with this grow. You sir, are a pioneer. Do you prune your plants at any point during your grow? Also, how bad is the smell? I have this theory that heat makes the smell more intense... Anyways, keep up the good work dude!

Hey smokey. I do a little pruning of the bottom branches during veg so the plants don't get too busy, give me some room for watering, and they concentrate on the upper parts. I leave them alone once I start flowering.

It's not the heat it's the humidity - maybe. I've used a couple of different types of 4" carbon filters, one said high humidity would shorten its life. The one I have right now is organic air. They work great, but only about 6 months, the smell is only noticeable when I open the cabinet door. Since my power bill is so low, those filters are about the most expensive thing I have to buy.

Great LED threads sf thank you and keep it up, it's awesome!

The buds look nice and dense even if they are not the biggest tree like colas. No airy, crumble away to nothing even when cured properly buds from those lamps. No popcorn buds that weigh half of what they look like they should. I'm sold.

Can you give an update?

Here is this weeks update.

This shot is from above looking down into the cabinet. It's hard to get clear shots of the plants in the cabinet. There are 4 plants flowering. Left to right:
Purple Wreck
Mazar - 3 weeks into flowering and now 25 inches tall
NYC Diesel - 1 weeks into flowering and now 25 inches tall
Blue Cheese

7/24/09
led_cab.jpg

I'm a little worried that the Diesel will be to tall. I didn't run any tests with that strain. Both the Mazar and the Blue cheese test plants ended up being to short, so I thought Diesel would be about the same but it stretched from 18 to 25 inches the first week of flowering. Hopefully, it will stop soon. The purple wreck strain can't be more then 10 inches tall when started to flower or it ends up being to tall.

The cabinet is an XL plastic cabinet from Black and Decker.

7/31/09
cablogmn.jpg

Mazar on the left is now 4 weeks into flowering and still 25 inches tall

I topped the diesel on the right yesterday, it was too tall. Next time I won't veg her so long. I don't like doing anything like that during flower.

Otherwise things are going well

7/31/09
cablogmn.jpg

Mazar on the left is now 4 weeks into flowering and still 25 inches tall

I topped the diesel on the right yesterday, it was too tall. Next time I won't veg her so long. I don't like doing anything like that during flower.

Otherwise things are going well

I'm sorry if you've already mentioned it, but I couldn't find the size of your pots.

So................, what size pots ya usin'?

regards,

SS

Hey, that's cool Pit. What strain is that? How much power is the light? The blue cheese strain I'm working with buds up the best. I have one in veg that I'll show later, my test plant blue cheese is to small to be very impressive but it still might not look as good as yours.

I'm working in just this small cabinet, I don't have space for a real grow tent. I hope someone tries out the large Haight Solid State light and posts some results. I have very low power bills and no bulbs to replace - my total costs are very low and it provides all I need. I'll bet there are a lot of patients out there paying big bucks to the clubs when they could grow their own in any apartment anywhere.

The pots are just 5 inch square

Back
Top Bottom