Haight Solid State vs. H.G.LED

Keith Lake

420 Emeritus
420 Staff
Welcome to 420 Magazine's hosted LED competition between @Haight and @Hydro grow

Both manufacturer's are Sponsors of 420 Magazine.

You may reach either sponsor @Haight, or @Hydro grow via email.

Details & Rules

1) The Lights

• For the test, Haight State has donated one of their PPF-800 LED Grow lights ($495 plus shipping)
  • Hydro Grow has discounted one of their 126W Penetrators ($399.95 plus shipping)
2) Manufacturer's recommendation for use.

• ------------ recommends that their lights be used within 6 – 12″ from your canopy for best results. Approximate coverage Area of 2′ x 3′ at 12″ above your Canopy
  • Haight State recommends that the PPF-800 should be positioned 12-18 inches above the canopy. Closer than 6 inches can result in stunted growth during the vegetative stage but it is a good idea to move the lights closer during the second half of flowering
3) All else equal

• Tents are Secret Jardin DR80's; qty 2, 32" X 32" X 64".
  • The strain is Barney’s Farm Violator Kush, feminized X10Genetics: Barney's Farm Seeds - Violator Kush is an Indica strain with genetics sourced from Malana and Hindu Kush, (clones were not possible so we decided upon a stabilized feminized strain to minimize risk of phenotype). variation).
  • 5 plants per light. One tent per light.
  • The weakest plant eliminated after the third week of veg
  • The final grow will be the four strongest plants in each tent
  • This is a soil grow using Fox Farm’s Ocean Forest soil mixed with 25% Perlite.
  • Nutes will be Fox Farm’s Grow Big/Big Bloom/Tiger Bloom, Botanicare Cal-Mag Plus, Maxicrop liquid seaweed.
  • The containers are 2-gallon square pots.
  • Seeds will be planted and germinated directly in soil.
  • Each tents is independently ventilated by a Soler & Palau TD100 (100cfm) 4” exhaust fan mounted outside the tent, pulling air through a 4” HTG Supply Pure Flow 4 carbon filter mounted horizontally at the top of each tent for odor control. Intake is passive and through vents at the bottom of each tent.
4) Netiquette

• 420 Magazine's Forum Posting Guidelines apply ;)
  • Bashing, flaming, or arguing on the part of any parties will result in an immediate ban. There will be no LED flame wars in this thread ;)
  • This thread is not for the discussion of HPS, please use one of the other 42,000 threads on our boards for this topic ;)

Re: Hosted Competition - Haight Solid State vs. Hydro Grow LED

Sounds good Soniq

I know you got a stabilized strain but do you not think it would be better to go the long route and grow your seeds pick the best looking female's then take clones, making your test as accurate as can be.

Sounds good Soniq

I know you got a stabilized strain but do you not think it would be better to go the long route and grow your seeds pick the best looking female's then take clones, making your test as accurate as can be.

If they were doing 1 plant under each light then that would be ideal but I think because they will be doing 5 under each light with a nice stable strain there shouldn't be to much of a problem determining the winner.

One thing that I think is important to address is the manufacturers recommendations.

Will the lights be kept in the manufacturers recommended range?

The manufacturers recommendations are where most growers have their lights adjusted at.

Your make a good point, however we didn't have clone capacity in this instance. We discussed and decided that with careful strain selection and culling the runt, we'd have reasonably teased out this variable :surf:

One thing that I think is important to address is the manufacturers recommendations.

Will the lights be kept in the manufacturers recommended range?

Yes, we checked with each manufacture on how they wanted their respective light run and that's where setting sun will be operating ;)

Thanks to Soniq420 for outlining the initial parameters of the competition, 420Magazine for hosting, the sponsors for donating products, and especially to Setting Sun for doing the actual test!

Can SS (or anyone else close to the process) explain the type of growing method(s) to be employed - i.e. ScrOG vs. SOG vs. growing a 'bush', other types of LST/HST/FIMming, lollipopping, planned/tentative veg times, flowering (switching to 12/12) heights, and the like? (While we know this may change somewhat during the grow based on actual conditions, having 'the plan' outlined is helpful). We understand that the same method(s) will be used for both sides.

Knowing this will assist us in determining the efficacy of either light for that particular application, and in framing the results within the proper perspective. Thanks!

Regards,

-TL

P.S. Perhaps Soniq could make the .gif banners at the bottom of the first message clickable to the respective merchants' websites, to assist the members among us who are visually oriented...thx

Hello TL!

The grow method will be as "hands-off" as possible as regards allowing the plants to grow without intervention.

The strain chosen for the grow stays fairly short, so hopefully this grow will not require any training or topping.

thanks bro!

This is great I can't wait to see how the lights compare. Good Luck!!

:popcorn::grinjoint:

P.S. Perhaps Soniq could make the .gif banners at the bottom of the first message clickable to the respective merchants' websites, to assist the members among us who are visually oriented...thx

Good idea, gifs are now links too ;)

This will be very cool! Thank you 420 Magazine, Soniq420 for breakin' it down, Haight Solid State and Hydro Grow LED and of coarse "Growmeister" Setting Sun! :nomo: TY!

Allright this is what I have been waiting on. Thanks setting sun for putting on this demostration . Good luck and may the best light win

No Flames or bashing here....Im very interested due to the strain choice. Im also growing Violator Kush from Barney's. It will be interesting how they come out in comparison. I wont be posting comparison photos at all here.
Good luck gentleman.......

:cheer: Yay! I've been waiting for this. How are you starting and growing the plants, Setting Sun? Dirt? Hydro? Aero? Inquiring minds have got to know. ;)

:popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom