Half-Ass First Grow

Shes taken to the transplant nicely. Second leaf set developing. I can definitely feel the weight difference now between watered and needs water. In the bulky pot I had much more trouble using this method, obviously the lighter solo cup has helped.

Ok so here's an update. I just bought a water sprayer so that I could mist the dirt a little better than just simply pouring water on to it. Ignore the water droplets on the leaves, it will evaporate quickly in my box.

Anyone have any advice on how to wire computer fans up so that they have power? Can I wire them in to something to plug them in a 110v socket or should I buy some kind of power management box like you would see in a car running cheap neon or other devices? Hoping to build a bigger containment box soon with fan's built in so any advice is appreciated!
Screen_shot_2011-02-16_at_8_26_09_PM.jpg

You can see the one leaf came up a little stubby (the end that is a little yellow). Guess it was just a genetic thing.

Still looking for advice on fans. I'm looking to buy some case fans and a fan control like this one from Newegg or even one like this to help regulate the temperature better. Anyone know an easy way to hook a fan controller up to the electricity through a socket? I have some experience rewiring harnesses and other types of things but I'm guessing I would need some type of power converter or something. Any help or links to help are appreciated!

Plants lookin good there. You can cut the ugly leaf off if you want. The new growth looks good. Make sure the soil is not soaking wet. When you water you are basically moistening the soil at this point. That could be the reason for the purple leaf-stems. I doubt its a deficiency this early on. How cold does it get in there?

looking good. Good luck with your grow.

It doesn't get cold. I'm using a 24 hour light cycle and it stays at about 70-75 degrees (with one cfl) and about 20%-30% humidity.

:popcorn:

I'm in. Question, what happens if it turns out male?

Dude; go inside an old CPU get the fan out. check amp volt and watt. Then go get one of your old cell phone charges that is close to the same rating, wire it tot he fan, plug it in and see what speed it runs at. If it runs, test it for about an hour while you watch tv then check it for heat and functionality....

then add it into your box.

USE GOOD ELECTRICIANS TAPE.

@McCrackin Thanks for the tips about old chargers and such. I had heard this a few places but have just been weighing my options. I might move to a bigger box if I want to make this a larger grow (but I have to make that decision in the next few weeks or so anyway. And if it turns out male then I'm just SOL. I'm happy with just growing this one for right now and hoping that it turns out female. If not then I got some experience and it was a fun little hobby. I have a few more seeds that I've picked out of stashes that seem viable so I'll probably just try again.

I do have one issue that will present itself in a few weeks. I'm going to be on vacation for a week for spring break. Does anyone have suggestions on what to do with watering it? I'm obviously going to water it before I leave so it should be good for like 2-3 days or so, but then I'm sure it'll be thirsty and start to suffer. Could I put extra water in a pan so that it soaks it up as it's needed? Or could I use one of those glass bulbs with a stem that you fill up and then put in to the dirt? Any suggestions are appreciated!

Few pic updates
Screen_shot_2011-02-22_at_7_00_20_PM.jpg
Screen_shot_2011-02-22_at_7_00_09_PM.jpg

Still need a solution for the watering while on vacation issue. Could I rig something up with with like a leaky faucet where the slow drips run down a track that slows the distribution? Or could I just put the cup in a shallow pan with water in it? Or could I buy something at a hardware store/garden center that waters on a schedule automatically?

I'm willing to invest a little $$$ in to something if I can use it in the future.

Maybe something like this?
How to make your own Automatic Watering System for Potted Plants and Cut-Offs | Hunker
or a self watering wick? How to Make a Self Contained Plant Watering System for Vacation

Also, I understand sexing is normally done in the flowering stage. If you look closely at the young plant at the node where leaves branch off, there is a tiny thread like hair. There isn't a chance that this is the plant showing sex yet, is it?

Tried to take the best pics that I could. Thanks in advance!
Screen_shot_2011-02-22_at_10_34_27_PM.jpg
Screen_shot_2011-02-22_at_10_34_14_PM.jpg

Thanks HempRocket. I literally looked at that exact picture and missed the stipules altogether somehow... Just really want it to be a lady so I'm obviously a little over excited about that.

Few updates, I bought some pvc today and have a tarp that I'm cutting up and gluing together to form an actual light tight closet. I want to order mylar online, anyone have suggestions where?

I also bought some plant food. I read that 20-20-20 was a good mix for veg but the closest I could find was 18-18-21. Will this be ok once I get her in to her bigger pot?

Also, when should I make the move to the bigger pot from the solo cup? Is it determined by number of leaf sets? Thanks guys! Can't wait to build this grow closet and show it off.

I agree with MM, you shouldn't wait longer than 2 weeks. I waited a bit too long with mine and set them back (stunted) them for about a week because they became root bound. Better to transplant sooner rather than later.

I do have one issue that will present itself in a few weeks. I'm going to be on vacation for a week for spring break. Does anyone have suggestions on what to do with watering it? I'm obviously going to water it before I leave so it should be good for like 2-3 days or so, but then I'm sure it'll be thirsty and start to suffer. Could I put extra water in a pan so that it soaks it up as it's needed? Or could I use one of those glass bulbs with a stem that you fill up and then put in to the dirt? Any suggestions are appreciated!

So, if it were me, I would start right now putting the cup bottoms in a reservoir and see how long they take to drink up an inch of water. For me on a full tray of starts, that's about 3-5 days.

If 3 days is all you need you will be ok.

Now I have seen trays of starts get thirsty and then drink 1/2 cm per day.

The other thing you can do is transplant them into 5 gallon buckets and then you won't have to worry for at least a week at their small size. Go with a dirt that isn't too hot(nutes)
It will be interesting to see what you choose.:cool:

Running in to some issues with my plant. I transplanted it to a bigger pot and moved it in to a new grow box I constructed. The leaves have darker spots near the center of the leaves. Prior to transplanting the leaves seemed semi droopy and I determined this to be due to over watering (I think). The leaves are no longer as droopy but now I have this new issue which I perceive to be more dire. I'll get a photo up soon, but are these spots just due to transplant shock or is it something with the new environment (co2 flow/temp/hunmidity)?

Back
Top Bottom