Handy Tip #37

RangerDanger

COMPANION PLANTING
This is a useful tip for organic pest control, that works illustrating the old saying "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." Inotherwords, it's easier to keep the pests out than it is to get rid of them once they're in.
One simple thing that can help protect your plants is companion planting.
Most pests that eat pot, from whiteflies all the way up to deer don't like certain plants. Marigolds, onions and garlic are 3 of these. Pests tend to avoid area's that have the odor of those plants.
Very easy to plant a few of each in an outdoor garden.
It's easy in an indoor garden too. Get come garlic cloves and plant at least one in each corner of your growspace.
Indoors I used 2 gal. containers for my MJ plants, and in each corner a 1/2 gal. container for garlic and/or onions.
They also grow well in hydro gardens.

I plant garlic in my vegi garden every year. On good years, it can grow over 5 ft tall. This might pose a problem for grow rooms w/limited height. Marigolds and onions stay much shorter. Also, if you're doing an outdoor grow, garlic and onions mature and die off around mid summer in most parts of the lower 48. This is not to say you couldn't plant a second crop of onions in early fall, though you might not get to harvest them. Marigolds, on the other hand bloom right up till the first killing frost.

User said:
i was wondering if you could use garlic powder like a pesticide powder on your plants/soil or even in your water?

Some outdoor growers hang cloves of garlic on the branches of their plants.
A common homemade insecticide has garlic (along with peppers & soap) in it.
Although that works better as a preventitive.

I don't know about adding garlic powder to the water. I've never heard of anyone doing that. I think you'd have to use too much to deter bugs/animals.

My great grandma always had a ring of marigolds around her garden and that trend has been passed down to my kids now. Not sure how far back it went from her day, but it's alive and well now. Onions and garlic are a given every year. Another benefit is that it attracts bees and other pollinating insects to the garden too.

Back
Top Bottom