Hanging Mylar Box Tent Using Cheap PVC

I came up with a really cheap way to make a suspended mylar box thjat will surround my plants.

I took four 10 foot long 1 inch diameter PVC tubing ($1.50) and cut them in half, giving me eight 5 foot pieces. I then cut the mylar into 8 foot sheets, folded and taped the ends to create a sheath that the PVC can slide through (just like a curtain and a curtain-rod). I did this on the top, as well as the bottom, so the weight of the PVC on the bottom would keep the mylar hanging straight. Created four of these. One for each side of the box.

suspended-mylar-box1.jpg

I then just used coat hangers to suspend each side. I plan on eventually using his as a flowering room. It turned out to be around 4.5 x 4.5 area, but it could be easily expanded by adding more sections.

This is the completed box, shot from the outside, with lowlight settings on the camera.

suspended-mylar-box2.jpg

suspended-mylar-box3.jpg

The plants through the opaque mylar.
suspended-mylar-box4.jpg

suspended-mylar-box5.jpg

It looks like it's gonna work pretty well and as a side benefit, it produces and trippy water lighting effect on the walls of the main room when the fan ripples the mylar.

The entire box cost $25.00. :)

Any comments or suggestions for improvement is welcomed!!
I plan on adjusting my grow room using your hanging method . Awesome idea. I used blackout drapes for my two interior walls.

Back
Top Bottom