Happy Frog soil

Edge05

I have seedlings growing in Happy Frog soil which is 7-4-5. The seedlings are 9 days old. When could i start using these nutes. Maybe 1/4 strenght? Or is it way too soon?

Attachments

• 15526885793063169249617961691712.jpg
    15526885793063169249617961691712.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 639
  • Screenshot_20190303-170444_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20190303-170444_Samsung Internet.jpg
    450.9 KB · Views: 640
  • 15526886944271295722887435203170.jpg
    15526886944271295722887435203170.jpg
    454.1 KB · Views: 763
And the soil has at least another month maybe more??

That bag of nutrients looks like its made for OUTDOOR gardening to me.

Are you sure you wanna use it in a container.

Tread lightly - that stuff is HOT you won't be able to fix a heavy hand.

Doesn't happy frog have a suggestion on how long the soil will last without the need for amendments?

I don't use fertilizers. So I have no idea about weather they will work for your growing technique or not. I do understand what NPK is.

Fox Farms I think actually makes fertilizer to use with their potting soil.

Fox Farms ferts have much different NPK than what you have in hand. Sometimes it can make a difference.

In two weeks, transplant from your HF to a big girl soil, OF. That fresh strong soil under her will take her to the 4 week point where it will be time to transplant a third time, probably to your final container. That fresh soil will take her another couple of weeks before you would ever NEED to give nutes... but
If your plant is healthy, you can start supercharging her to grow even faster by applying nutes. I wouldn't start until after that second transplant.
Everyone has their own method... this one works for me. Good luck and however you decide to do it, take notes! :peace::love:

Thank you everyone, i got a huge bag of happy frog so i will be using that the whole grow. It sounds good to wait, maybe after a 2 or 3 weeks in first transplant ill will try a super small amount or wait until they tell me they need it. So this seesling nute is basically useless lol

Just curious why you are planning to use fertilizer?

I'm sure it's not a requirement for cannabis grown in soil.

I mention this because you seem set on using it and I'm not sure why?

Doesn't happy frog have a suggestion on how long the soil will last without the need for amendments?

I don't use fertilizers. So I have no idea about weather they will work for your growing technique or not. I do understand what NPK is.

Fox Farms ferts have much different NPK than what you have in hand. Sometimes it can make a difference.
Don’t feed it any extra nutrients yet. There is enough good stuff in our soil to last up to a month for photoperiod strains. Autoflower strains can be grown in happy frog soil with out ever needing added nutrients.

Thank you everyone, i got a huge bag of happy frog so i will be using that the whole grow. It sounds good to wait, maybe after a 2 or 3 weeks in first transplant ill will try a super small amount or wait until they tell me they need it. So this seesling nute is basically useless lol
Only use a quarter of the recommended amount per gallon once a week and work your way up watching for signs of mute burn and lockout

In two weeks, transplant from your HF to a big girl soil, OF. That fresh strong soil under her will take her to the 4 week point where it will be time to transplant a third time, probably to your final container. That fresh soil will take her another couple of weeks before you would ever NEED to give nutes... but
If your plant is healthy, you can start supercharging her to grow even faster by applying nutes. I wouldn't start until after that second transplant.
Everyone has their own method... this one works for me. Good luck and however you decide to do it, take notes! :peace::love:
Why is ocean forest the big girl soil. I got happy frog soil is ocean forest a lot better

Why is ocean forest the big girl soil. I got happy frog soil is ocean forest a lot better

When Happy Frog first came out it was billed as a lighter starting soil for young plants and seedlings to get a good start on their roots. Ocean Forest is a very organically rich soil that just has a lot more stuff in it and some people consider it to be a "hot" soil.

got a big bag of happy frog was reading ingred.bat shit,earthworme etc,so I m guessing I live in new mexico ne,do I need to add perlite or anything my clone is growing pretty good its big enough to put in big pot and put outside, next ? is direct sunlight or some shade? first grow giving it a hand thanx, also will paperbags lined on bottom help with the watering or what can I put on bottom

You should not put anything on the bottom "to help drainage" because anything you add in there actually causes more water to be trapped... just use plain old soil at the bottom and trust the flow through and water retention numbers that are designed into the soil to take care of things. Happy Frog has enough peat moss in it that more aeration is not really needed, but many people add 20% perlite to any soil they use. There really is no one right answer here. Start your plants outside in the shade or on a shady day and let them get used to the new brighter/hotter light.

You should not put anything on the bottom "to help drainage" because anything you add in there actually causes more water to be trapped... just use plain old soil at the bottom and trust the flow through and water retention numbers that are designed into the soil to take care of things. Happy Frog has enough peat moss in it that more aeration is not really needed, but many people add 20% perlite to any soil they use. There really is no one right answer here. Start your plants outside in the shade or on a shady day and let them get used to the new brighter/hotter light.

thanx Emilya….my George is about 6-10 inches high, fixin to plant him in big pot tonite. I figured it had enough stuff in it..i started him in miracle grow was all this pour girl had to start him, I will make sure its off his roots most anyways. thanx for the advice just learning lil by lil.. this site is very knowledgeable.i got advice about the soil here...thanx again yall

thanx Emilya….my George is about 6-10 inches high, fixin to plant him in big pot tonite. I figured it had enough stuff in it..i started him in miracle grow was all this pour girl had to start him, I will make sure its off his roots most anyways. thanx for the advice just learning lil by lil.. this site is very knowledgeable.i got advice about the soil here...thanx again yall
Not to criticize, but you keep referring to your plant as a male. We surely hope that George is actually a Georgette, because only female plants produce the Sensimilla bud that we crave. If you haven't yet, please read my most important and useful article so far, The Proper Way To Water A Potted Plant Understanding the concepts outlined in that article will give you quite an edge over someone who has never grown a weed before. When you do transplant into a larger container of fresh new Happy Frog, you should see a growth spurt that will tell you that the soil is plenty strong enough for now. You should be able to get to week 5 or so before even thinking about adding nutes, and by that time you should have a large enough plant and root system to handle it, and like you asked in the beginning... start at about 1/2 strength.
I further suggest that you start up a grow journal and put the link to it in your signature so that others can find it. Use the journal as notes to yourself as to what worked and what didn't and document your grow at various waypoints so that you can use what you learn to make your next grow even better. Good luck and I look forward to following along. :peace::love:

Not to criticize, but you keep referring to your plant as a male. We surely hope that George is actually a Georgette, because only female plants produce the Sensimilla bud that we crave. If you haven't yet, please read my most important and useful article so far, The Proper Way To Water A Potted Plant Understanding the concepts outlined in that article will give you quite an edge over someone who has never grown a weed before. When you do transplant into a larger container of fresh new Happy Frog, you should see a growth spurt that will tell you that the soil is plenty strong enough for now. You should be able to get to week 5 or so before even thinking about adding nutes, and by that time you should have a large enough plant and root system to handle it, and like you asked in the beginning... start at about 1/2 strength.
I further suggest that you start up a grow journal and put the link to it in your signature so that others can find it. Use the journal as notes to yourself as to what worked and what didn't and document your grow at various waypoints so that you can use what you learn to make your next grow even better. Good luck and I look forward to following along. :peace::love:

yes its georgette sorry didn't ck, , not good on computer so ill keep a paper journal and le you know whats up on georgette...thanks again .have an awesome day..

Hey @stondfairy ... Good luck with Georgette and please do start a grow journal if you can find the time ... a lot of people here want to see you succeed.

I think @Emilya has touched on a few things already but I would like to chime in just to make sure I am on track too.

The way I understand FFHF is that it is a "cheaper" (not to be offensive) soil more for growing home flowers. That is, it does not have the extra bat guano etc, and so FFHF costs less. Yet, It has root stimulators which makes it great for seedlings and for helping grow root mass.

The way I understand FFOF is that it is the "deluxe" soil more for growing expensive cannabis. That is, it does have the extra bat guano etc and so FFOF costs more. However, I believe it does not have root stimulators (I might be wrong).

I have read articles where growers have combined the two soils as @Emilya hinted to in an earlier post.

One option is to mix the two ... let's say 25% FFHF, 50% FFOF and 25% Perlite ... this saves on cost and also provides some root stimulation.

Another option is to put your 75% FFOF and 25% Perlite mix on the bottom 80% of the pot, and then put FFHF/perlite on the top 20% of the pot. When you first put your seedling in the pot, the seedling benefits from the "lighter" nutrients and root stimulation. Over time, the roots find the more nutrient rich soil lower in the pot ... hence the best of both worlds.

Personally I used 100% FFOF in my current grow ... but I plan to use a combination of FFOF and FFHF in my next grow.

Also, I think it is very important to add some extra Perlite ... in my opinion, it is critical for drainage and oxygenation of the soil. The last thing you want is salt build up ruining your flowering stage and taking away from your yield and all your hard work!

Lots of options, but if you understand the science in the soils, then you can get creative and come up with combinations which work best for you and your favorite strains.

I look forward to hearing about your grow in a grow journal.

Good luck!

Those are good nutes. I go full strength and let plant tell me if i need to back off.

Back
Top Bottom