Happy Thanksgiving To Everyone!

Here's to all of us who pass each other and never really spend time on each other's awesome grows...just didn't know a better way to hit all of you at the same time. I see you though and your beautiful grows just so you know...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Some of The Lorax for you all, hope you are enjoying your holiday....
:passitleft:

20211125_174453.jpg

20211125_174507.jpg

Hauoli Lonoikamakahiki e kākou, mahalo
(Happy Thanksgiving)
I more interested in that Hersheys Porter! Had a pretty good blonde stout that tasted like milk chocolate. Santa Monica Brewery called PCH (Pale Chocolate Heaven)
Mahalo!!!

It is YuengLing...sold on the east coast here...it is a seasonal brew only comes out once a year, this Hersheys Chocolate Stout. Absolutely delicious but that PCH sounds dreamy, also. I'm a craft beer fan...like finding the interesting ones

@Krissi1982
Those pics were of a couple of personal strains grown on the back porch in California. They were set out to flower late September and just finished. They didn't yield a ton but they were pure compost tea fed and the trichomes were amazing. When I get to growing again (long story) I will be going back to pure compost tea/nutrient tea fed.

@Krissi1982
Those pics were of a couple of personal strains grown on the back porch in California. They were set out to flower late September and just finished. They didn't yield a ton but they were pure compost tea fed and the trichomes were amazing. When I get to growing again (long story) I will be going back to pure compost tea/nutrient tea fed.
Sounds like a sad story without you even saying anything! Compost and nutrient teas, huh??? That would definitely be a new one to me. Your own blend?

@Krissi1982
Actually it's a triumphant story. We are relocating outside California; further north. The state isn't cannabis friendly yet. The nutrient tea ideas I got from Microbeman. He has a sight where he discussed various things related to compost and nutrient teas alike. The flower formula is...
-1 gal treated water to remove chloramines
-1 Tbsp molasses
-2-3 Tbsp earthworm castings
-1/8 tsp Kelp
-1/4 tsp Rock Phosphate
-1/4 tsp Sea Bird guano
Aerate with aquarium pump for 36 hours and apply about once a week. That is more of a nutrient tea and I haven't tried it on a grand scale yet, but on potted plants it was very successful. The overall terpene production was increased significantly as well when compared to another run I did with a well known organic fertilizer. So I am leaning to experimenting with teas when I get back in to it.

@Krissi1982
Actually it's a triumphant story. We are relocating outside California; further north. The state isn't cannabis friendly yet.

Oh Phew, I was thinking it was something terrible lol
The nutrient tea ideas I got from Microbeman. He has a sight where he discussed various things related to compost and nutrient teas alike. The flower formula is...
-1 gal treated water to remove chloramines
-1 Tbsp molasses
-2-3 Tbsp earthworm castings
-1/8 tsp Kelp
-1/4 tsp Rock Phosphate
-1/4 tsp Sea Bird guano
Aerate with aquarium pump for 36 hours and apply about once a week.

Wow interesting! How difficult is it to acquire the kelp and sea bird guano? Same as finding bat guano?
That is more of a nutrient tea and I haven't tried it on a grand scale yet, but on potted plants it was very successful. The overall terpene production was increased significantly as well when compared to another run I did with a well known organic fertilizer. So I am leaning to experimenting with teas when I get back in to it.
Definitely super interesting and something I have never heard of. Teas yes, but generic teas. Also heard to be careful with molasses-have you found that to be an issue at all?

Excited for you to get started up again!

@Krissi1982
I acquire all my organic inputs from DowntoEarth fertilizers and amendments. I am not out spelunking for guano or scuba diving for kelp. My local nursery or hydro shop has me covered .

Molasses and teas altogether can have a tendency to whack out (lower) the pH. I found once a week was okay without ill effects. My last round saw me dump undiluted LABs (lactic acid bacteria) and that led to my issues my plant suffered.

(Compost) Teas are generally used to keep organic soil "inoculated" to keep biological activity at a maximum. Some consider it bro science but I have experimented with it once and now I am observing it again. We will be growing veggies and I like forward to applying my growing skills to our garden and applying teas as well.

When the teas get more nutrient oriented, things can get a bit out of whack. That flower formula offers nothing but (P-K) and no (N) which can leave the plants starving for nitrogen. I build my own soils so adding a slow release nitrogen to the soil like Feather Meal helps, plus manure; albeit sparingly. That's totally something else and my style of growing isn't for everyone.

@Krissi1982
I acquire all my organic inputs from DowntoEarth fertilizers and amendments. I am not out spelunking for guano or scuba diving for kelp. My local nursery or hydro shop has me covered .

Molasses and teas altogether can have a tendency to whack out (lower) the pH. I found once a week was okay without ill effects. My last round saw me dump undiluted LABs (lactic acid bacteria) and that led to my issues my plant suffered.

(Compost) Teas are generally used to keep organic soil "inoculated" to keep biological activity at a maximum. Some consider it bro science but I have experimented with it once and now I am observing it again. We will be growing veggies and I like forward to applying my growing skills to our garden and applying teas as well.

When the teas get more nutrient oriented, things can get a bit out of whack. That flower formula offers nothing but (P-K) and no (N) which can leave the plants starving for nitrogen. I build my own soils so adding a slow release nitrogen to the soil like Feather Meal helps, plus manure; albeit sparingly. That's totally something else and my style of growing isn't for everyone.
This was a beautiful response. Thank you so much...is this something that has taken you a lot of time to get it down to a science?? I have a massive garden of veggies every year also, so this is definitely something that I'd want to consider using for that come spring!

Yes @Krissi1982, I have spent some time researching organic inputs and discovered quick and slow release amendments.

Nitrogen quick release - alfalfa meal, blood meal

Nitrogen slow release - Feather meal, Neem meal

Phosphorus quick release - Bat guano, Seabird guano

Phosphorus slow release - Bone meal, Rock phosphate

Potassium - well there are only a few available here such as Kelp, Langbenite, and Greensand. I use all 3 and Greensand is notoriously a SLOW release; over a few years.

Micronutrients and minerals - Azomite

Using these inputs I have never had an issue growing cannabis. Buying all these at once is a fiscal adventure in itself and not recommended unless you just have $300 or more to dump on nutrients.

Everything is covered from N-P-K & micronutrients. Our biggest issue as cannabis growers is covering the Cal/Mag issue and that is addressed with the Rock Phosphate (Cal) and Langbenite (Mag). Using all these amendments I have never had an issue in my super soil. I am also able to sprout my seedlings in the years previous soil and the seedlings love it.

My base is Sphagnum Peat Moss and Perlite. No set rates such as 2:1 or 3:1, I just mix until the medium looks good and aerated. Since my base IS Peat Moss, I need to use Dolomite Lime annually to keep it's pH from falling/dropping as Peat Moss does naturally.

Broadcast rates become an issue as people ask me how much of what. I take in to account N being doubled and every other input (P & K) as well. Given ALL the different inputs, I mix the soil at the "gallon recommendations" for a cu. ft. This translates to about 2 Tbsp. of everything/per cu. ft. except the alfalfa which I think gets applied at 4 Tbsp.

I sprinkle on to the top soil and turn over the soil during December/January to have the soil ready for late March/April garden. Allow rain water to keep the soil soaked. Soaking with tap water works as well, the chloramines within the treated tap water is a severe retardant for biological growth and a dose of compost tea to get everything going is a better idea.

Once we get to our new state (after building our home) we will get our gardens going and the above amendments will be utilized to achieve our harvests. I have used Miracle-Gro and Pumps stuff from a bottle. It's all too much. A properly amended garden bed can run all year and not need anything added. The soil if properly built keeps feeding the plants. Using organic inputs also increases terpene production throughout all plants including fruits and veggies.

My experiences have shown me that in pots we reach an issue. There's only so much we can cram in to a pot to feed our plants. To keep this idea of organic super soil going requires top dressing when in pots. Planting in the ground allows more nutrients to be available through out the growing season. I wish I had the scientific knowledge to back that up but at this point it's only observation. My super soil pots run out of stuff at the end. Perhaps a bigger pot would suffice. This is also only an observation and based on a second run of the same soil. ;) So perhaps a FRESH batch ran in pots is totally needed, but that will have to wait.

@Pat Puffer and @Autodream, thank you so very much!!

Pat, hats off to you Sir, that is a lot of time, energy, and research for a fantastic outcome!!!

Monetarily not an issue, sourcing seems easy enough. I have to become to master of mixers I guess. I'm wondering if it will provide the same benefits for me growing outside out east with our weather here

Back
Top Bottom