Harlequin cloning

Auggie

I am new to this site, so excuse any mistakes. I read "how to ask for help" thread, and it was suggested that I format my questions ... so I will use the suggested format. But, first the problem.

I have been helping a neighbor of mine by donating meds to him. We have found that one of the strains that really helps him the most to be Harlequin with its high CBD content. I have been growing some 1 to 1 cbd/thc ratio stuff for him.

I would like to make it more available to more people, and would like to clone a few hundred to donate to my local collective, but I am having a HELL of a time getting it to clone. I put up a tray of 50 and am lucky to get five to grow roots. I am doing nothing different from the other strains I clone: Blue Dream, AK47, Blueberry Kush. Those strains sprout roots in ten to fifteen days and just take off. 98% sprout. The Harlequin, maybe 5% sprout roots. Out of the fifty I started I have five with the plan to make them mothers - they are about a foot tall now. I will try to clone from them when they're old enough - maybe a different plant will like being a mother better.

I don't do anything different to the Harlequin than to the others, though now I am trying different things. Lower Ph for the cubes, leaving it in a dome longer. Maybe they don't like the heat? I just don't know.
If there is anyone out there that has SPECIFIC information about cloning THAT SPECIFIC GENETIC, I would be most interested in your advice.

I do not want to come off as a know-it-all, because I don't know-it-all, but; I know how to clone, having cloned (no exaggeration) tens of thousands in my years of doing this work - so I don't need advice on how to clone. I would like to hear opinions about how to clone Harlequin, from someone who has done it. Do these girls need something special that I'm not giving? or is it just a difficult genetic to clone?

Here's additional info:
REQUIRED INFORMATION FOR GROW SUPPORT

What Strain is it? Harlequin
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? Hybrid 75/25 Sativa dominant
How Many Plants? 1
Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage? Veg - mother, about four feet tall. Appears healthy/happy.
If in Vegetative Stage... How Long? plant is 10 mo old
Indoor or Outdoor? indoor
Soil or Hydro? Canna Coco
If Soil... What Size Pot? 10 gal smartpot
Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many? 1 600 wt HID sharing with three other plants
Is it Air Cooled? yes
Temperature of Room/Cabinet? from 60F to 90F
RH of Room/Cabinet? 60% average
PH of Medium or Reservoir? 6.0 to 6.1
Any Pests? none
How Often are you Watering? every other day, by hand till run off
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used? GH, half of recommended strength
Size or Square Footage of Room? 400 sq shared with other strains

Again: thank you to anyone who has experience cloning this particular strain - Harlequin.
I would appreciate your advice or ideas ... and will send ten karma points to the deity of your choice.

- Auggie -

No love, eh?

*sigh*

That's what I was afraid of. It's such a new strain there is much not known about it. So, I will keep trying new stuff.

~ Auggie ~

That's a very common cbd strain up here I'll talk to a few cbd growers about it. I know my other buddy was having issues with the remedy another high cbd like 16cbd 5thc I'll ask him tomorrow.

Yea, CO ... The mother IS healthy. She is a dark green, growing, good root system. She was singing in three part harmony with the AK-47 and one of Blue Dream mothers the other day. Happy as could be.

And Dutty ... thanks man, I'd appreciate any tips that can be given. It pretty much has everyone I know here stumped. I bin wrestling with this bitch for about six weeks now. I am cloning it the SAME way I been doing it for years and years and she is just NOT giving it up. I am going to try one more thing ... I'm going to use a bubbler machine. I will put them in sometime next week. If I don't get roots from that I'm putting the tight assed bitch out on the curb. She's been eating my nitrogen and breathing my CO2 - she's got to put out or get out. It's time for us to graduate to the next level of our relationship - or we're done. Ya know?

I pretested her and she has a ratio of about 3:1 cbd:thc so I'd sure like to make this relationship work - but if its not going to I gotta find someone else.

(Getting a sudden feeling of deja vu ... I think I've had similar conversations with HUMAN females ... hmmm. The word 'roots' never came up, but ... real similar theme.)

~Auggie~

Genetics and phenotype also affect rooting, some plants are just more difficult to root than others. I did a test a while back to show how 2 different plants of the same strain do not root anything alike, see below. Some plants I find root better in rockwool, others in a bubble/aero cloner so you could try another rooting method. If all else fails you could try to make female seeds with her and find a better mother or donate female seeds to your collective, they should be just as happy.

A small experiment I did to prove phenotype affects rooting

Ok yes it tends to be a little tough my buddy is using his turbo cloner and uses 15ml per gallon instead of 10. At times he's used the recommended 20 and sees no difference. He also mentioned like previous poster that the phenotype can drastically effect the success rate he says. He said if you had access to another mother it would possibly help. Either way he said the phenotype seems more important in a cbd driven strain. Hope that helps.

Ok yes it tends to be a little tough my buddy is using his turbo cloner and uses 15ml per gallon instead of 10. At times he's used the recommended 20 and sees no difference. He also mentioned like previous poster that the phenotype can drastically effect the success rate he says. He said if you had access to another mother it would possibly help. Either way he said the phenotype seems more important in a cbd driven strain. Hope that helps.

Your buddy puts 15ml and sometimes 20ml OF WHAT?
Will put up at least 200 clones in the TurboCloner on Thanksgiving.

~Auggie~

Clonex. Figures that was a given my bad. I have a 144 site. You must have 2? I put anywhere from 90-110 in it that way it isn't packed.

Temps and humidity make a world of difference. I did a clone off with four strains and did some with and without clone nutes. The straight water beat the nutes but all ended up rooting. It all came down to temps and humidity that kept them all going. No difference when I have done seeds. When I added heat pads they pop every time. Some not under pad waited for temps to warm up. Ether way I wish you the best.

Clonex. OK. I 've used it in the past - I'll try it.

I have a 98 site - TurboCloner I think. And, yea, I put at least two, sometimes three in each hole if its in the inside. I have gotten as many as 270 in one batch. But, I don't use the pucks that come with it. I use Styrofoam cups, cut. Cups cost $.02 each - I just can not spend $0.50 on EACH puck. That's $50 for each run - I just can't do it, I'm too cheap.

Cloning season is JUST around the corner. The girls are ready ...

~ Auggie ~

Temps and humidity make a world of difference. I did a clone off with four strains and did some with and without clone nutes. The straight water beat the nutes but all ended up rooting. It all came down to temps and humidity that kept them all going. No difference when I have done seeds. When I added heat pads they pop every time. Some not under pad waited for temps to warm up. Ether way I wish you the best.

Usually, the only nutes I use for cloning is about 5cc per gal of flower nutes.

I agree that ambient and reservoir temp and humidity make a big difference. That's why I thought (a month ago when it was still warm) that it was TOO warm. Now, it's not. I'm about done with these girls. Going to give them ONE more chance.

~ Auggie ~

Clonex. OK. I 've used it in the past - I'll try it.

I have a 98 site - TurboCloner I think. And, yea, I put at least two, sometimes three in each hole if its in the inside. I have gotten as many as 270 in one batch. But, I don't use the pucks that come with it. I use Styrofoam cups, cut. Cups cost $.02 each - I just can not spend $0.50 on EACH puck. That's $50 for each run - I just can't do it, I'm too cheap.

Cloning season is JUST around the corner. The girls are ready ...

~ Auggie ~

Hey try one per puck. That could be part of it. What you replace every run why? I used my originals for like a year plus. I just bought new ones but still using old ones. 3 per puck that's fucking crazy. Didn't your roots get all tangled. Any how. I would try 15 ml of clonex in ph balanced water let run a few days man you can clone I saw the pics you know the drill just try the 15ml and 1 per puck. Buy yourself new pucks jesus. Wash with a mild bleach solution then rinse and dunk in a bucket of 10-1 hydrogen peroxide then place back in cloner. Also forgot to tell you he said he just cuts the harlequin at a 45 and dips then in box no scouring of the side of stem.

Hey try one per puck. That could be part of it. What you replace every run why? I used my originals for like a year plus. I just bought new ones but still using old ones. 3 per puck that's fucking crazy. Didn't your roots get all tangled. Any how. I would try 15 ml of clonex in ph balanced water let run a few days man you can clone I saw the pics you know the drill just try the 15ml and 1 per puck. Buy yourself new pucks jesus. Wash with a mild bleach solution then rinse and dunk in a bucket of 10-1 hydrogen peroxide then place back in cloner. Also forgot to tell you he said he just cuts the harlequin at a 45 and dips then in box no scouring of the side of stem.

Yea I go multiples in the cloner. I have done that for years, it works well. Roots get a little tangled if you leave in too long, I usually put in dirt when roots are about an inch long - I don't let them get real long like the picture usually. I haven't tried the Harlequin in the cloner yet. I'm flushing the mom now, and will put Harlequin cuttings in the cloner on Thanksgiving.

Washing pucks is a pain the ass. It is recommended that they be changed every use - I would go two or three uses before they really got used up. I run two or three cycles a month in my cloner from December to May so it gets used. Once the puck starts turning black, or gets that permanent hole in it, I change 'em. The Styrofoam cups work very well, are clean every time (no cleaning) and I can really load them up.

The cuttings that are the picture are Blue Dream and AK-47.

OK. Will use your buddies recipe. Hopefully will have pictures of newborn baby Harlequins by December 10.

~ Auggie ~

I fill cloner up twice a month. Never had them get black. Had them get algae a couple of times. Yeah it is a pain in the ass to clean but it's worth it. I replace about 20 last year due to the hole getting to worn though as you stated. Same buddy uses some foam he gets in sheets then he has a Lil cutter same dimensions as pucks. He the places on foam and hits with a hammer. I'll ask him where he gets his foam he says to fill all 3 of his 24 site Cloners costs him like 10 bucks for like 700 plugs. I'll take some pics tonight I've got to go over there we are trying to crossbreed a couple of strains and want to check on the cute Lil couples. I prefer turbo Cloners pucks over his though cause the turbo Clones are thicker. But yes if the paper cup way is working for you then of course no reason to change.

In the bubble cloner? nope, not yet. But, I just put them up on TGiving (three days ago).

~ Auggie ~

But, the ones I put up in Oasis cubes a couple of weeks ago finally sprouted. I Ph'd the soak and water solution to a low 5.5ish range. I also used CFL light (I was using ambient HPS light in the mother room). Also, the ambient temp was lower ... and ... THEY SPROUTED.

I have a tray ready to put in dirt. EEEE YAY. I feel better now.

~ Auggie ~

Halequin_Clones.JPG

PS: Ya know what's really interesting about these girls? You know how, when cloning in cubes, the bottom two or three leaves turn yellow and die off? It's the "fat", or storage of energy and nutes that the plant lives off of till it gets roots ... Well, these babies don't do that. There is never any die off of lower leaves - even if it doesn't sprout roots. It never, ever turns brown. Weird eh?

Nice. You prefer cfl over t5? I use one 4ft 6bulb ho t5. I switched out 2 of the center bulbs and replaced with a red spectrum bulbs. I use that for veg as well.

Back
Top Bottom