Harvest Approaches - Taking Samples?

jermyclarkson

Hi friends, we're on the verge of one of the first legal recreational harvests on the east coast. It's day 68 and the plan is to chop on day 70. The dispensary out west where I acquired the seeds recommended 8-9 weeks flower but we felt like taking it at least an extra week.

It's our first grow but we've done pretty well. The main issue was that we vegged too long (6 weeks) and didn't manage the height well. The plants reached 6 ft and nearly outgrew their 4x4x7 foot grow box.

Our setup includes the aforementioned closet box, 240 watt true draw G8450 LED, 140 watts of supplemental UFO's, and roughly another 35 watts of LED/CFL sidelight bulbs.

Two weeks out from flush, we have frosty flowers, 50-75% brown pistils on the main heads, with milky trichs depending on the lighting with our cheap 60-100x scope. Not all of the trichs have the nice round heads and very few amber ones, so we were scratching our own heads about it-- no pun intended.

Here's my question...

We've been totally undecided this week about potency or harvest readiness, so we snipped a few wet grams of tiny lower popcorn flowers to try. Trimmed and dried them in toaster oven at 100-150 degrees for varying times. Popped them in the grinder and have been packing one-hitters all week. Honestly, it gets us ripped. It smokes as smooth and tastes as good as most of the weed we've ever smoked. This makes me feel like it's ready to chop, dry and cure them the right way.

Thoughts?

Re: Harvest Approaches - Taking Samples (?)

lower buds tend to mature later so chances are its a bit over-ripe at the top. I would chop it :)

True pros use a magnifying tool to check trichome ripeness (clear, cloudy/milky or Amber) with most agreeing on some percentage of clear to cloudy to amber for effect when smoked (couch lock/stimulating) depending on those ratios :Namaste:

lower buds tend to mature later so chances are its a bit over-ripe at the top. I would chop it :)

True pros use a magnifying tool to check trichome ripeness (clear, cloudy/milky or Amber) with most agreeing on some percentage of clear to cloudy to amber for effect when smoked (couch lock/stimulating) depending on those ratios :Namaste:

We used a cheap $11 60x-100x magnifier on various samples. The trich heads are not overwhelmingly milky and the amber ones are probably 2-5% of total. The buds look reasonably ripe and large, and the tiny lower ones that we'll make hash out of still smoke pretty amazing off the branch.

I'd love to harvest Saturday but don't want to jump the gun either if that would hurt the final product.

Make sure you look at the trichomes on the buds only, and not the leaves, the trichomes on the leaves tend to mature much faster.

As soon as you see mostly cloudy, with very few clear you're pretty much ready. I check multiple samples all over my plants before I cut.

On some plants I also wait until I start seeing amber trichomes appearing at a steady pace each day, then harvest

Back
Top Bottom