Harvest time needs

CC420710

Okay as some may know due to me asking a lot of questions I am close to harvest and want to get it right. So wanted to go over any special needs like lights out for a day before? I have read to turn off lights 24 to 48 hours before harvest and wanted opinions there? there is the flush which is a hot topic itself then things like how you harvest. At once or parts at a time ect? Then we got drying curing process where I'm sure there are many opinions. I know dark, cool and dry area for at least a week to two then move to jars not sure how long? Also, I have seen this drying net rack and was wondering if that would be better than hanging? Figured it was at least space-saving Anyway I hope to see good feedback as this post has plenty of opportunity to grow

Hey there!

Lots of good questions. Here are some quick thoughts. Just my opinion, and I am sure you will get other points of view...

1) Personally, I don't flush. You are right, it is a hotly debated topic. My understanding is that some think it is supposed to remove some of the fertilizers in the buds, but I'm not convinced that is true. But you will definitely find those who passionately believe in flushing so you will need to read up, and then make your own call.

2) Darkness before harvest - this one I do, about 48 hours in the dark before harvest. My research suggests that this can trigger a last push of trichs. But you'll find others who think that is BS. So, your call again! :)

3) On the drying and curing, you might want to check out the "Low and Slow" thread (link in my signature). It is a long discussion, but if you read the last several pages, you'll get the drift. I think it is an excellent resource.

Hope that this helps - not many answers, but some of my opinions for you to mull over.

Good luck!

Hey there!

Lots of good questions. Here are some quick thoughts. Just my opinion, and I am sure you will get other points of view...

1) Personally, I don't flush. You are right, it is a hotly debated topic. My understanding is that some think it is supposed to remove some of the fertilizers in the buds, but I'm not convinced that is true. But you will definitely find those who passionately believe in flushing so you will need to read up, and then make your own call.

2) Darkness before harvest - this one I do, about 48 hours in the dark before harvest. My research suggests that this can trigger a last push of trichs. But you'll find others who think that is BS. So, your call again! :)

3) On the drying and curing, you might want to check out the "Low and Slow" thread (link in my signature). It is a long discussion, but if you read the last several pages, you'll get the drift. I think it is an excellent resource.

Hope that this helps - not many answers, but some of my opinions for you to mull over.

Good luck!
Thank you so far I have gotten similar advice. One question that came up on drying and whether to use harvest net or hanging then? Someone said using the net would cause them to dry to fast being broke down but I wasn't planning to break down extra just laying instead of hanging. It's about space-saving overall a harvest net with several layers saves a lot of space but I don't want it to negatively affect the drying process? I know I want to slowly cure as that is supposed to be better so will definitely check it out thanks for the feedback

Thank you so far I have gotten similar advice. One question that came up on drying and whether to use harvest net or hanging then? Someone said using the net would cause them to dry to fast being broke down but I wasn't planning to break down extra just laying instead of hanging. It's about space-saving overall a harvest net with several layers saves a lot of space but I don't want it to negatively affect the drying process? I know I want to slowly cure as that is supposed to be better so will definitely check it out thanks for the feedback

You definitely want it to dry slowly, but also make sure that there is not a lot of trapped moisture. I'd worry about stacking them too deep, because air might not be able to get to them, and mould might grow in the damp spots. I lay mine out in a single layer on a cooling rack, into a paper bag, and then into the fridge. Good luck with your project!

Okay as some may know due to me asking a lot of questions I am close to harvest and want to get it right. So wanted to go over any special needs like lights out for a day before? I have read to turn off lights 24 to 48 hours before harvest and wanted opinions there? there is the flush which is a hot topic itself then things like how you harvest. At once or parts at a time ect? Then we got drying curing process where I'm sure there are many opinions. I know dark, cool and dry area for at least a week to two then move to jars not sure how long? Also, I have seen this drying net rack and was wondering if that would be better than hanging? Figured it was at least space-saving Anyway I hope to see good feedback as this post has plenty of opportunity to grow
I will give my 2c worth on this too, understanding that many do not agree with my opinions on these matters... but that is ok... there are many many ways to grow pot.
I did experiments regarding the dark period at the end, and did find that 36 hours of darkness before the chop does indeed increase the size, length and potency of the trichomes. The results were so dramatic that I will never harvest again without going through this step.
I come from the old school where a flush was the movement of 3x the container size in water through the medium in order to "flush" out the salts and debris in the soil. A "flush" is not intended to clean the plant, it is only to clean the soil. The old belief that a flush at the very end removed nutes that would be tasted in the final product has been completely debunked and we now know that flushing at the end does not change the taste of a cured bud. So I see no value whatsoever with a flush in the final couple of days at the end of a grow, and I do not consider giving water for a week or two at the end an actual flush, although many do call it that erroneously these days.... giving water at the end is simply starving your plant, again, trying to clean out the plant, and it has nothing to do with the traditional concept of flushing the soil. So when do you properly flush the soil? Two weeks before the end the buds enter a period known as final bud swell, where the buds can grow to twice their size in that final bit of time. Before that time most of us give heavy nutes, building those buds in weeks 5-7, and as a result a lot of salt builds up in the soil. Salt restricts water uptake, exactly what you do NOT want to happen in the final two weeks. A proper 3x flush prior to this 2 week ending period, cleans out the soil and allows the plant to uptake the maximum amount of nutes and water while doing the final build on those buds and has to significantly increase the size of the buds compared to someone who did not flush at this most proper time.
Staggered harvests are when you take some that is ripe to a certain point so that you can sample the trichomes at let's say 2% amber. If you wait a few more days, the amber might increase to 5%, and many take another harvest at this point to see what that level of ripeness does for them. You probably don't know yet at which point of ripeness your favorite is going to be, so staggered harvests are highly recommended so you can find out.
Drying and curing have so many different methods, it would take another book to go into it... so I will stop here and let you do more research on the various methods.

Back
Top Bottom