Harvested early because of unseasonable cold front

I planted some seeds around mid July, they quickly started flowering at about 2 feet tall after one month. 3/6 were nice looking males that went into the trash. The other 3 pumped flowers out like no tomorrow. With less than 60 days of flowering (outdoors), I was starting to wonder if they could have been autoflowers.

Anyhow, being by the ocean I constantly deal with high humidity and warm temperatures. Just the coldness creating the dew point in the early morning is enough to cause budrot, which in turn causes me to lose nice parts of very dank colas. The national weather service issued a warning talking about an unseasonable cold front which has already affected the whole coast of california I'm sure. It went from 100 degrees high to a 70 degree high. Thundershowers are expected as well. Having an epicly cold rainstorm come through 1 day before I was going to harvest obviously is NOT ideal.

So I have had to be lucky that my squeeze harvest came this far along, and the buds smell amazing. Although most likely not much amber trichome production. Us outdoor growers are at the mercy of mother nature, which can be a down-side. However, it has been a great first season of growing, learning, and having fun. Other than dealing with European-high flyers (corn borers) - a type of caterpillar that is MUCH more atrocious than just a regular caterpillar. They eat your weed and poop everywhere, Inducing Rot. Norcal doesn't seem to have this problem but socal sure does.

photo_10_23.JPG
photo_11_17.JPG
photo_9_29.JPG

Luckily the buds are pretty dense, they aren't aerated and fluffy. So I think it was a good idea to harvest just a few days early, instead of taking a chance on more budrot, and ultimately a total wipeout of the plant. It would only take a short amount of rain to ruin it, especially with the minimal damage from the dew point.

Hey Lee, you buds are beautiful! i just found some caterpillars on the plants I brought in a few days ago because of the same reasons - I am in New England, though and the cold rain was going to ruin my girls.

Anyway, after they dried out from the rain, I found some beasties (even a juvenile hatching out of a flower) and am in the process of identification right now - could you tell me whether you recognize this species? Any advice is more than welcome.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I have more photos and details of these in my grow journal; go to the last page. My main concern is that my flowering clones have been exposed to the affected mature plants; there were only 6 this morning, but if they are going to start hatching it could affect all 24 plants, which would be catastrophic because it represents the best phenotypes of 8 Dutch strains.

:thanks::peace:

101_03603.JPG

Howdy. My opinion is that what you have found is not the corn-borer (European high flyer ). You have a more what looks to be a more generic tobacco budworm type of caterpillar. I have found both. This one is not so bad (from my experience), this one does more swinging with silk string from branch to branch and lounges around. The babies are very small and hard to find. The best way to get them out quick, is to blast them with a load of heat. The sun works pretty well, they all come running out and then you can pick them out much easier, or maybe in oven for a few minutes at 100C.

But like I said these ones aren't the ones I have had multiple times( you can look for my posts in the pests section or view my gallery). The ones I have will drill deep tunnels, poop and eat as they go.

I have had these worms and other than being there, they aren't going to effect final product too much as long as they aren't causing rot via excess moisture.

Lee, I appreciate your help. From what I have seen, I think these are the kind of green bud worm that cuts the top of the bud off in order to drink the sap; finding dead bud tops with fuzzy mold at the point of the cut is expected in most cases - from what I have been reading today. BT is probably going to be the remedy but I'd like some confirmation from others like yourself.

:thanks:

Yeah BT will do the job. I have been using SNS209 systemic and it has helped a little. Flag up rosemary branches throughout the trees it should ward off moths that want to lay eggs. But getting too cold soon for them too. Best of luck friend!

Back
Top Bottom