Harvestright freeze dryer for weed? Done and cured in a day!

Yeah. The oil free pump is nice. It costs almost as much as the freeze dryer though. I have a really good HVAC 2 stage pump that works just fine so I saved money by not buying a pump at all. I'm putting together a diesel fuel filter system that will pump and filter the oil while the vacuum pump is running so I don't have to change the oil very often. Cost of all the parts I need for the system is about $250. A lot cheaper than the $1500 oilless pump. (And still cheaper than the oil vacuum pump they sell with the freeze dryers. Note: the pharmaceutical versions they sell are identical to the home versions. They are just pre configured with a different firmware that has different default times/temps and come in a stainless finish) If you want to do hash, the narrow pharma shelves are perfect. If you have flower, get the home version shelves. (More space).

As far as getting one because you are having problems with RH% in your drying/curing process. Get a humidor/build one. You will need a humidor anyway if you have a freeze dryer because you need a way to bring up the RH of the flower after freeze drying it. (Easy solution is to put a humidifier/dehumidifier in a fridge.).

Before and after.

Attachments

• 34FEE5C2-ACD9-4B64-9861-5EA0B81C5A4B.jpeg
    34FEE5C2-ACD9-4B64-9861-5EA0B81C5A4B.jpeg
    629 KB · Views: 1,137
  • 53AEF9D4-4160-4A17-AB17-170ABFFCF6EB.jpeg
    53AEF9D4-4160-4A17-AB17-170ABFFCF6EB.jpeg
    661.4 KB · Views: 659
I wonder how preserving would go after the freeze dry process. Do you jar with humidity packs or let it be because it’s been dried out so much already? Also does it last longer or for a shorter period? The food they demo is one thing, but weed is another beast.

sister and I are still debating about getting one sometime this year.

If I can ever afford it I'll be buying one for hash, and obviously fruits and astronaut Ice cream lol. But they cost almost as much as my Jeep did so who knows if it'll ever happen.

Storage wise if properly dried it'll last almost forever. I'm just not sure what it would do from a quality/smokability stand point. If it preserves hash from the degradation associated with oxygen exposure while improving quality it would stand to reason it should do the same for flower.

My main concern would be I don't like overly dried weed, I want my joint/blunts to smolder a little bit I don't want them to run away while your talking. I like my flower at 60-62% not sure how that would work out with the freeze driers.

I wonder how preserving would go after the freeze dry process. Do you jar with humidity packs or let it be because it’s been dried out so much already? Also does it last longer or for a shorter period? The food they demo is one thing, but weed is another beast.

sister and I are still debating about getting one sometime this year.
Freeze dried flower almost instantly absorbs humidity in the room. Once you freeze dry it, stick it in a humidor for about an hour. It will bring it up to 55% which is perfect for FD weed. Mine has stayed stable for weeks so far at 55-60% in a air tight container with oxygen absorbers to prevent oxidation. The weed is gone so fast that I have no numbers on long term storage... but I'm sure it will stay stable and awesome.

If I can ever afford it I'll be buying one for hash, and obviously fruits and astronaut Ice cream lol. But they cost almost as much as my Jeep did so who knows if it'll ever happen.

Storage wise if properly dried it'll last almost forever. I'm just not sure what it would do from a quality/smokability stand point. If it preserves hash from the degradation associated with oxygen exposure while improving quality it would stand to reason it should do the same for flower.

My main concern would be I don't like overly dried weed, I want my joint/blunts to smolder a little bit I don't want them to run away while your talking. I like my flower at 60-62% not sure how that would work out with the freeze driers.
Like I mentioned, freeze dry your weed. then condition it in a humidor. ( Just put my freeze dried weed into my drying room which is at 60% all the time. You could honestly rehydrate it more it you want, but 55%-60% is perfect IMO for FD flower.

I agree 100%. You have to find the right settings but once you do it really is like smoking weed on a whole new level as far as aroma and terpenes go.
i am brand new to growing at home and just bought the harvest right medium home freezer with oilless pump. what settings and times do you recommend for optimal product. i am spending the money to do this all myself as here in Illinois with the taxes an eight at a dispensary costs almost 90$. could really use some help with settings so i do not ruin an entire crop

Sh
i am brand new to growing at home and just bought the harvest right medium home freezer with oilless pump. what settings and times do you recommend for optimal product. i am spending the money to do this all myself as here in Illinois with the taxes an eight at a dispensary costs almost 90$. could really use some help with settings so i do not ruin an entire crop
shelf limit 35, freeze time:9 hours, dry time:7 hours.

It stops the cure fanleaf? I don’t understand why. Can you explain it? That made my brain stop dead in its tracks. :laughtwo:
Curing requires moisture
In the bud has around 12% moisture content
And it is put in an airtight environment aerobic microbes use the oxygen to eat the chlorophyl starch and sugar

That process stops when moisture drops below 11%

When you put your buds in the air tight container and they stay below 62% rows of humidity you’re good to keep them shut without moulding if the relative humidity is below 58% curing stops

By the cure cork I personally don’t use it but for people that produce for private use is perfect

That’s why a lot of people think the flushMakes the bug taste better it’s impossible to flush the nutrients out of the Budd the Budd’s contain 10,000 ppm and nutrients were root zone contains 1000

When you flush Ashley for some more nutrients into the bud that’s why the bud swells people miss conceive the flash to remove the nutrients when most people flush what happened to your plant turns yellow because you’re starving it yellow means there’s less chlorophyl forget the flash except forward to finding your buds a short flush

Most people flush and that’s 12% of the following time if you’re not feeding the nutrients to the plant during this portion how can you turn sunlight into sugar

Get rid of the chlorophyll starch and sugar during the cure

You ha

Every time I stop here I covet one of these units. With low and slo frying in a frost-free fridge we get much the same effect, but it takes two weeks or longer.

Lucky you. Best bud ever is those that we preserve terpenes with. The subtle effects you didn’t know were there will keep you drying and curing this way.

I’m glad to see the members are still finding you. :hug:

Managed to find a reliable source to get me a Harvest Right freeze dryer new and you were not wrong about the price of those oil pumps and nearly being the same price!

@fanleaf what was the taste like and did you ever continue doing this?

High folks, I had a freeze dried joint given to me at a cannabis fair some time ago. It tasted like no other cannabis. It was much heavier in terpenes! If I knew someone local who had a machine, I'd pay to have a run through it to see how I liked it. It was very different and curious. Bag appeal on steroids for sure. I'd have to get used to the flavors it was so different. It was that strong in terps. Delish but different.

I have heard a few good reviews now of people using them, one guy saying he gets 5oz dried every 23h then 1h clean down and sterilize and add another 5oz and that was in the medium sized freeze drier.

He also said the bag appeal was amazing, what it looked like that day in the grow room is the exact same bud you end up with in the finished product but unfortunately he no longer needs it as he is sunning it up on a sunny beach somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom