Has anyone tried an automotive cabin filter for odor control of small grow?

offroad

420 Member
I have a small cabinet grow 13" x 36"x 60" 1 plant. I am using a 5 inch pc fan for exhaust and 3 inch pc fan for intake. I am considering mounting a activated carbon car cabin filter
51MqIFRHSbL.jpg

just inside my exhaust fan with an inch or two of plenum space. Thoughts on effectiveness or problems...

Thanks!

Won't do anything, mostly to filter outside air prior to going I to the cabin. Most eom filters have no carbon and a carbon canister is totally different.

I have been looking at using a pair of these on top of my cabinet having the fans push the exhaust air thru them. I was thinking of adding more activated charcoal from my aquarium stuff to make a sandwich type filter with the loose charcoal in the middle of the filters. I have two 120mm -Noctua NF-F12 PWM Cooling Fans,(5 inch) I plan on mounting side by side in the ceiling of the box with the filters laying on top of the box in a frame work I am building. This way I could change out the filters as needed if odors were coming out the exhaust area.
These fans are designed to push air thru cooling fins or thru cooling tubing of chillers in high temp systems. I
I think my box 36x70x18 inside is small enough that the fans and these style filers stacked and the added charcoal should pretty much keep the box not only cool but the outside odor free. My intake is on the lower back side of the box and is a 6x20 opening with a cut to size home furnace filter keeping dust and bugs out.
I am using a Mars Hydro reflector series LED lamp system ( Reflector 96x3W-96x3w). I think I should be okay for temp and odors.

I have been looking at using a pair of these on top of my cabinet having the fans push the exhaust air thru them. I was thinking of adding more activated charcoal from my aquarium stuff to make a sandwich type filter with the loose charcoal in the middle of the filters. I have two 120mm -Noctua NF-F12 PWM Cooling Fans,(5 inch) I plan on mounting side by side in the ceiling of the box with the filters laying on top of the box in a frame work I am building. This way I could change out the filters as needed if odors were coming out the exhaust area.
These fans are designed to push air thru cooling fins or thru cooling tubing of chillers in high temp systems. I
I think my box 36x70x18 inside is small enough that the fans and these style filers stacked and the added charcoal should pretty much keep the box not only cool but the outside odor free. My intake is on the lower back side of the box and is a 6x20 opening with a cut to size home furnace filter keeping dust and bugs out.
I am using a Mars Hydro reflector series LED lamp system ( Reflector 96x3W-96x3w). I think I should be okay for temp and odors.

This method would work, but save yourself the high cost of buying the automotive or furnace type filters, and sandwich the aquarium carbon between two layers of wire mesh with a screen, pantyhose, or other type of cloth/fiber.

Thanks for the idea, That may be just the ticket as I have been contemplating using the jumbo round steel mesh pencil holders lined in the charcoal and a ladies hose type covering.....A flat panel is better for my cabinet as the area height is a problem for the box it goes on top of....

Back
Top Bottom