Has anyone used these small heat presses?

The 2 most important elements in pressing are temp and pressure. So the ability to regulate and dial in those 2 parameters are a must. I've found that different strains can vary in temp needed for premium extraction. The way you press, ie bag vs no bag, size of micron, amt pressed, can all vary both the temp and the pressure. The product is still decent but getting the golden color rosin, takes a little bit of trial and error with each strain.

old fashion: going to "press" keif with a heated glass bottle - takes a while a good rosien press $356.00 (very good one)

The 2 most important elements in pressing are temp and pressure. So the ability to regulate and dial in those 2 parameters are a must. I've found that different strains can vary in temp needed for premium extraction. The way you press, ie bag vs no bag, size of micron, amt pressed, can all vary both the temp and the pressure. The product is still decent but getting the golden color rosin, takes a little bit of trial and error with each strain.

:Namaste: I am thinking about buying one but I have never used any of these. Is there more writing about technique? I get the pressure (more is better) combined with heat works best. I have so much flower that even a imperfect squeeze would be awesome. I also have so much hash and keif from my trim that I'd like to make into something other than frosting for my flowers. Would you be willing to help?

Here's some of my questions:
  • What is the right temperature to start at?
  • Do you recommend using micron mesh bags and if so what size?
  • What is the minimum squeeze pressure I should shoot for to have a sustainable solution? I see everything from hand crank type to 20 ton hydraulics and prices from >$1,000 to <$200. I can see the pressure and platen size drive price - where is the trade off best?
  • I see these molds for heat presses - I have to admit I have no clue how they are used.
I've been watching YouTube videos too - but any resources you can provide would be very useful.
:idea::adore:

Wow, excellent questions @DRey and a nicely organized post. How can I not answer these for you?

1) I recommend starting around 210-220f. Most of my strains like this range, some prefer as low as 190ish. If a stain prefers 220, and you press at 190, your return is severely diminished. If it prefers 190 and you press at 220, you'll get darker colored rosin and know to back off a little. Its all trial and error.

2) I do recommend micron bags. Anything from 90-150 for flower. The smaller the micron the higher quality the rosin, but less yield. I find the 120 bags are the best mid range. For kief or hash, you want much smaller bags with 30-70 micron being recommended. Also less heat and pressure is required for kief and hash so keep that in mind. Look up "bottle tech" for the right way to load the bags. Personally, I do 7g/bag.

3) When it comes to determining overall pressure, its depends on the surface area of what you are pressing. More pressure allows you to press multiple bags at once or really large bags. You also want to overestimate because you dont want the press operating at full pressure all the time. I recommend 10 tons. You can get away with less, but if you want the ability to press more than 1 bag at once, I would get at least 10 ton. A pressure gauge is the most crucial element and really allows you to dial it in. 750-1500psi at the bag is a good range for me. Again, trail and error with each strain.

4) Rosin molds are pre-presses that are especially useful if you dont use a bag. Blowouts can happen with bags (so buy quality bags like "The Press Club"!) but they are most common when people are pressing material with no bag. In order to avoid this, some people press their material inside the mold first, at much lower pressure. This forms it into a brick that is less likely to blow out. I say go with bags, nothings worse than finally getting great rosin and there is flecks of leaves and shit all sprinkled in it.

Hope this is a good start, let me know if you have other questions.

I have a Dulytek, it was about $500 (7 ton) and came with everything I needed. Then if you make a post using their product, they send free gifts (pre-press and other tools)
It pays for itself quickly if you use a lot of rosin. Takes about 7-10g to get 1g of good stuff. I had lots of larf and outdoor, it takes care of all that and turns it into something more usable.
Was worth it for me, seems like a quality piece and looks like it will last forever at the rate I use it.

Wow, excellent questions @DRey and a nicely organized post. How can I not answer these for you?

1) I recommend starting around 210-220f. Most of my strains like this range, some prefer as low as 190ish. If a stain prefers 220, and you press at 190, your return is severely diminished. If it prefers 190 and you press at 220, you'll get darker colored rosin and know to back off a little. Its all trial and error.

2) I do recommend micron bags. Anything from 90-150 for flower. The smaller the micron the higher quality the rosin, but less yield. I find the 120 bags are the best mid range. For kief or hash, you want much smaller bags with 30-70 micron being recommended. Also less heat and pressure is required for kief and hash so keep that in mind. Look up "bottle tech" for the right way to load the bags. Personally, I do 7g/bag.

3) When it comes to determining overall pressure, its depends on the surface area of what you are pressing. More pressure allows you to press multiple bags at once or really large bags. You also want to overestimate because you dont want the press operating at full pressure all the time. I recommend 10 tons. You can get away with less, but if you want the ability to press more than 1 bag at once, I would get at least 10 ton. A pressure gauge is the most crucial element and really allows you to dial it in. 750-1500psi at the bag is a good range for me. Again, trail and error with each strain.

4) Rosin molds are pre-presses that are especially useful if you dont use a bag. Blowouts can happen with bags (so buy quality bags like "The Press Club"!) but they are most common when people are pressing material with no bag. In order to avoid this, some people press their material inside the mold first, at much lower pressure. This forms it into a brick that is less likely to blow out. I say go with bags, nothings worse than finally getting great rosin and there is flecks of leaves and shit all sprinkled in it.

Hope this is a good start, let me know if you have other questions.
Rockstar advice - thank you my Brother! :Namaste:

I have a Dulytek, it was about $500 (7 ton) and came with everything I needed. Then if you make a post using their product, they send free gifts (pre-press and other tools)
It pays for itself quickly if you use a lot of rosin. Takes about 7-10g to get 1g of good stuff. I had lots of larf and outdoor, it takes care of all that and turns it into something more usable.
Was worth it for me, seems like a quality piece and looks like it will last forever at the rate I use it.
Great advice because that is exactly what I was looking at. Between you and the advice from @TysonOG I am getting close to feeling like I might actually be able to pull this off. I also end of with a bunch of larf and scraps. I also seem to have an abundance of flowers at some harvests and would love to make a really high quality rosin.
:thanks:

Rockstar advice - thank you my Brother! :Namaste:
so what bags would you recommend for dry ice method - 45 then 160 ? was thinking of 90 the 160 ? but 45 will get the "quality heads) and the 160 getting the rest (body of, ect) then make a 220 - Shaking each bag for 3-5 minutes and only making 1-2 at the most runs for each bag (maybe just one run ?) Thought - thanks for all your infor

I'm no expert but based on my experience, simply stay away from Graveda ... really ...

I boughttheir 10T press and the manufacturing quality is awfull ... the heat plates are not correctly alligned, the pump/cylinder doesnt hold the pressure correctly, the temp controller is not precise and you see bad soldering all over the press.

Look for any other brands ...

I am seeing a new crop of heat presses for making rosin on eBay. Has anyone used these? I'm think $229 is a fair price if it works...recommendations or guidance is appreciated! :snowboating:
Do not buy that crap , there’s rosin presses that work but your gonna pay closer to $599 before finding one you can depend on that gives you good stuff . Since we have sponsors I won’t recommend mine , however it was $479 a few years ago now 599 but does go on sale twice a year

Back
Top Bottom