Hash Bash Founder and Marijuana Champion Facing Felony Charges Related to Raid

Jacob Bell

A Royal Oak man who organized Ann Arbor's Hash Bash for the last two decades -- and whom many Michiganders consider a leader of efforts to legalize marijuana -- is in legal trouble.

Adam Brook was charged Feb. 22 on eight felony counts, including possessing more than a pound of marijuana -- well over the 2.5 ounces allowed to medical marijuana patients in Michigan, court records show.

Brook said the arrest prompted him to drop his lawsuit last month against Royal Oak, which challenged the city's new medical-marijuana ordinance, he said.

Members of the Oakland County Narcotics Enforcement Team raided Brook's house in January and found a triple-beam scale, marijuana and marijuana candy, a tally sheet of names and prices, two loaded handguns, a loaded shotgun and a bullet-proof vest, Undersheriff Mike McCabe said.

"I truly think this was political," Brook said of the raid. Oakland County Sheriff Mike Bouchard denied that this week.

Brook, 42, pleaded not guilty at District Court in Royal Oak to one count of manufacturing and delivering marijuana, three counts of being a felon in possession of a firearm and four other firearms charges. He is free on 10% of a $5,000 bond set by District Judge Daniel Sawicki and faces a March 22 preliminary exam, records show.

For the last two decades, Brook organized Ann Arbor's spring Hash Bash, an outdoor gathering of marijuana supporters that drew 5,000 people last year to the University of Michigan's campus, where the crowd openly smoked the drug while police watched from a distance.

Brook said this week he still plans to lead this year's Hash Bash on April 2.

Scion of a family that for 80 years owned the Cadillac Luggage store in downtown Detroit's Penobscot Building, Brook closed the shop in 2006 when his back gave out. He walks with a cane and said he is a state-approved marijuana patient, although Bouchard said police found during the raid that his card had expired.

Because of a prior felony conviction on his record, Brook "can't be anywhere there's guns," Bouchard said.

The conviction was for carrying a concealed weapon in the late 1980s, Brook's lawyer said. Attorney Joe Niskar said he'd defend each charge.

"We believe the amount of marijuana has been grossly overstated," Niskar said.

As for the guns, "there's a question about ownership, and some of these were antiques, exempt from the firearms statutes," Niskar said.

The body armor is a World War II keepsake left by Brook's grandfather, he said.

Finally, even with an expired state patient's card, "I'm still what the law calls a qualified patient" and should be able to possess marijuana, Brook said. "This whole thing has been a nightmare."

Brook will let others carry on the legal fight to overturn Royal Oak's new ordinance, which bans growing medical marijuana, his attorney said.

Others have sued to overturn ordinances not only in Royal Oak but also in Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills, Livonia and Lyon Township.

news_luggage.jpeg

Adam Brook faces eight felony counts after a raid on his Royal Oak home found marijuana and guns.​

News Hawk- GuitarMan313 420 MAGAZINE
Source: freep.com
Author: Bill Laitner
Copyright: freep.com
Website: Hash Bash founder and marijuana champion facing felony charges related to raid

This is one of the reasons I'm kinda on the fence about guns. I'm more pro-gun but a firearm around cannabis/grows can just complicate things a lot more in the unlikely but realistic scenario the fuzz shows up.

Hopefully the judge is lax, already a felon though and for a concealed weapon..that sucks big time.

Bro,It aint about guns,it's about rights.Why should I have to give up a right to enjoy another.
True He's a convicted felon which is another matter alltogether.
I don't see the law arresting people who take prescription drugs & own firearms.
It's just more anti mmj bullshit.

^^I think you misunderstood me, we are on the same page about the guns thing. It shouldn't be that way but that still doesn't deny the fact that a gun at a grow can and usually will make things a whole lot more complicated, if the pigs get involved.

Didn't know it was a right to grow/smoke weed? :tokin:

Without knowning all the facts about the case I would hate to hang this guy but I would think you would know better if you had a conviction on your record. It makes it look bad for the rest. Even just one weapon and being felon is bad. No record, you should be able to posses weapons legally under the law regardless if you are a MMJ grower or not.

People with "Physical Disabilities" often are not able to defend themselves as effectively as the General Populace.

Until there are some laws to protect the disabled from violence. Which is becoming needed more and more.
The only thing is see wrong is with the current system and it's BAD polices.

Back
Top Bottom