Hash Bash Speakers: It's High Time to Legalize Pot

Jacob Bell

Starting with a chant of "Free the weed," the 40th annual Hash Bash drew an estimated 6,000 people to the University of Michigan campus Saturday to crusade for the legalization of marijuana.

Besides keeping its tradition of flaunting outdoor marijuana smoking under the eyes of police, this year's Hash Bash had speakers citing a need to safeguard access to the drug for medical use.

"We are going to have major threats this year" to Michigan's medical marijuana law, speaker Chuck Ream, 64, of Ann Arbor told the crowd. Ream led the campaign in 2004 to pass Ann Arbor's medical marijuana ordinance. Michigan voters passed the statewide law in 2008.

Campus police generally don't interfere with the Hash Bash unless there is public endangerment or blatant law-breaking. U-M public safety officers arrested 10 people for marijuana possession and two for using the drug. Another person was cited for having an open alcoholic beverage, department public information officer Diane Brown said.

Standing in the audience, Marni Glovinsky, 35, cheered the speakers. Glovinsky said she has fibromyalgia and is a state-approved medical marijuana patient. The marijuana "helps my pain a lot," she said.

"I think a lot of people are abusing the law, but for people who need this medically, it's wonderful," Glovinsky said.

Many Hash Bash speakers are annual fixtures, including emcee Adam Brook, 42, of Royal Oak, who led the event for its last two decades.

"When I started out, this was just about getting high. Now, it's about medicine, too," Brook told the crowd.

Former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson, a Republican who advocates the legalization of marijuana, also spoke. He is on a nationwide tour that some say is to explore his presidential chances.

Johnson told the crowd he was proud of them for supporting the legalization of marijuana. Before the Hash Bash, Johnson said that he believes marijuana should be inspected, taxed and otherwise "treated like alcohol."

At the edge of the crowd was Bryan Washington, 34, of Ann Arbor, who had his 3-year-old daughter, Bethany, on his shoulders.

"I don't want her around the smoke, but I don't have a problem with her knowing what marijuana is. It should be regulated, just like alcohol and tobacco," Washington said.

News Hawk- Jacob Husky 420 MAGAZINE
Source: freep.com
Author: Bill Laitner
Copyright: freep.com

I had a great time...it was my first! The crowd moving from the rally to the fair reminded me of the Hebrews leaving Egypt(Exodus), vehicals just stopped as thousands of us passed between them.

Booths with medicine being sold to card carrying patients. I think there was even a booth with doctors filling out patient registries. The music was good too.

Back
Top Bottom