Hash oil trouble

woodstock2

Just finished making a batch of oil for my prostate cancer. Made it in a rice cooker. Got too thick. Had to add alcohol to remove from the cooker. Don't believe I burned it just went a little too far. I have it thinned out where I can handle it now. I'm going to cook out the excess alcohol and I'm afraid it will go back to tar again. Can I add olive oil to keep it more workable? Help please.

I hate rice cookers, they don't have a thermostat. How are determining that the oil is done? Bubble size and color I assume?

People into organic chemistry determine solvent evaporation by a rise in temperature over the boiling point of the solvent. Rice cookers can make water boil so they easily output over 212*F. A temperature which is not really needed for a solvent that evaporates at 170*F.

Oil produced from bud has more chlorophyll and is usually thicker.

I would recommend re-diluting your oil into alcohol, at least 2 liters and then sticking it in the freezer for 48 hours and passing through coffee filters after that time. The sub cero temps will cause some of the chlorophyll and plant waxes to solidify and get stuck in the filter. This process is called winterizing. Fresh olive oil is green and milky while the one from the store is yellow and clear. Olive oil is winterized as well just not to such a low temperature.

You can use olive oil but you would be making a tincture. If when hot its that thick you may be cooking it too much. The idea is to get rid of the solvent only.

Are you telling me it's a bad idea to cook a teaspoon of olive oil into the oil I cooked just to thin it so it's easier to measure and to put in my pill capsules? By adding the oil will it change how it works against the cancer? Thank you

I've added specific amounts of olive oil to make tinctures in a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio and then used a dropper instead of a syringe so I needed something to make it more runny but I wasn't cooking it and olive oil tends to smoke. I would use olive oil after the evaporation process is complete or ethanol if you plan to boil it some more.

The problem in the long run seems to be "why is this happening" and how to avoid it from happening in the future. Winterizing before evaporating helps as it purifies the oil so does using lower heat or transferring to a lower temp heating element earlier.

If its turning waxy its probably too hot for too long.

You should post your problems here:
How To Make Concentrated Cannabis Oil

And FYI on the dosing, there's a better way:
How To Make Concentrated Cannabis Oil

Back
Top Bottom