Hash Plant CFL Soiless

something i noticed i forgot to do was empty the runoff buckets from the last watering, stagnant water is ideal for mold, mildew, and larva. so i decided to clean the buckets with white vinegar and dried them. i noticed this was skipped in the tutorials i read and thought i'd give my two cents on the subject. i dunno, maybe it's good to have the moisture under them, but i'd rather water more than have pests.

I would think a little water in the buckets would be fine/normal, just like a drip pan. But with the buckets being much deeper than a drip pan, the water will take much longer to evaporate from lack of air flow down there and may or may not cause a problem for you.

I'd suggest picking up a few drip pans. They're cheap and then you have one less thing to worry about. :)

:goodluck:

76-79, usually pretty steady...i think they were curling cuz of the switch from dwc to roots organic, they were in plain 5.5 ph water trying to revive them, didn't see any improvement so i yanked them and stuck them in fresh 6.0 soiless...

i've fed them monday morning and now i see an overall color in the small one i havn't seen before...it's very uniform, doesn't seem like a deficiency. i'm not very worried but it's a lighter green on top
Picture_00488.jpg

survivor one seems very healthy and strong
Picture_00576.jpg

the three hash plant seedling getting bigger. another didn't sprout, just gonna leave it with three and the two survivors
Picture_00663.jpg
Picture_00753.jpg
Picture_00856.jpg

i know! thanks hemp...i'm so proud of them!!

the hash plant girls...growing up. *sniff*
Picture_00193.jpg
Picture_00290.jpg
Picture_00394.jpg

survivor 2...the mix of nutes was a bit much for her, one tip burnt, trying to feed the two the same mix...they always droop for a half hour after misting...
Picture_00489.jpg

survivor 1...lots of growth, four tops, just cut them to make eight. one new burn spot...
Picture_00577.jpg

fed the survivors monday morning, it's thursday evening and i watered with molasses...runoff was high, 6.8...i'm thinking of skipping nutes next time and starting again the time after that...

ya, it only lasts 30 minutes, then it perks back up...tops looked funny too, so i backed the lights off. i have only watered twice since the switch from dwc.

Picture_00395.jpg

after 30
Picture_00664.jpg

same here.
Picture_00490.jpg

after 30
Picture_00754.jpg

transplanted the largest hash plant, nice white roots.
Picture_00194.jpg
Picture_00291.jpg

Picture30.jpg

i don't know what i'm gonna do, i need to veg the hash plants, and flower the survivors, but i don't have the resources to make another setup; space, money etc. Would i be able to veg the survivors long enough to flower them all at the same time? they will be huge,

ok, i set up a vegetation station in my bathroom. just until the hash plants are ready to bloom. i will start blooming the survivors in a couple of weeks, maybe sooner if survivor 2 can catch up.

two middle bulbs will come from main light setup when i switch out for bloom, they should like the humidity from the shower...
Picture35.jpg

Girls looking excellent. nice new setup.

thanks, i think there aren't very many following so i really appreciate it...so many journals, you seem omnipotent... i feel so lost every time i do some thing, it's really nice to know it isn't just me growing these plants, and this journal really helps me talk about what i'm doing so i don't have to open my mouth to people i shouldn't...i never really expected the survivors to well, survive, and i didn't want to have to set up seperate veg and bloom sites, but i really had no choice. don't think i will be using these nutes again, they are so potent for soil it seems, maybe i'll get the hang of it.. how long should i veg for? i know it's a size issue, but, are there any drawbacks to vegging longer

I have some hashplant seeds that I plan to grow soon. I have read that the strain is a big producer and likes to get between 3-4 feet indoors. I have about 4 ozs of the bud right now that is great for my back & neck pain. I personally like to veg my plants until they are at least 2 feet tall. I am running a 4x4x7 tent with a 600 watt. I don't think you would be able to veg that long though due to lack of light penetration with your cfls. You would have to add way more cfls and by then you could have purchased a 400 or 600 watt light. I will be keeping an eye on your grow. Let me know if you have any questions. :goodluck:

i have a 400w hps i could use, but the temps in my closet get up to like 102, it's just i would be spending more on inline fans and such to manage the heat, i would rather spend 6 bucks a bulb for cfls with little heat, i plan on adding some more t5 strips for under the canopy, but not for these bagseeds, i have 18 lights total between the two setups and i will prolly use all off them on my next grow..in just one room...i really didn't want to split them up, but i see people flowering so quickly, i was thinking two feet also, but don't they double in height, four feet is crazy big, but i would love it... so 400w of cfls don't penetrate as well as 400w of hps?

The HPS is definitely going to penetrate deeper. I used a light meter to check my fixture a while back and the sweet spot was from 0-3" with my 23w bulbs. After that the intensity dropped fast. Larger CFLs will penetrate deeper, check SkooterClowns' grows, he and his brother got awesome results! Growing with CFLs in very limited space

He did inform me that they kept their lights around 6" above the tops, but he was using larger bulbs.

Take it easy...I'm still following and think you are doing great.
:goodjob:

i have a 400w hps i could use, but the temps in my closet get up to like 102, it's just i would be spending more on inline fans and such to manage the heat, i would rather spend 6 bucks a bulb for cfls with little heat, i plan on adding some more t5 strips for under the canopy, but not for these bagseeds, i have 18 lights total between the two setups and i will prolly use all off them on my next grow..in just one room...i really didn't want to split them up, but i see people flowering so quickly, i was thinking two feet also, but don't they double in height, four feet is crazy big, but i would love it... so 400w of cfls don't penetrate as well as 400w of hps?

If you had an air cooled hood and a small exhaust fan you would be surprised how much lower your temps would get. You don't need a monster size fan for your closet (4 inch would probably work). You just need to calculate how much CFMs you need in that area.Here is a link that should help you Air Exchange Calculator

There are many fans on eBay pretty cheap. I paid $150 for my 6 inch fan plus 6inch carbon filter (all new). I also paid $150 for my 600 Watt digital ballast with air cooled hood that included MH & HPS bulbs (all new). Those items were the best $300 items spent for my grow. Even if I need larger items in the future I can still use the other items for a vegging area. It really comes down to how often you plan to grow and how much you want to produce.

You could use CFLS, but they still produce heat at higher quantities. You will also need to surround the plant from top to bottom with CFLS in order to provide adequate light coverage. This means you would need to move them daily due to plant growth.

Many growers say that my 600 watt HPS system doesn't penetrate enough through the canopy. This is why I added supplemental vertical lights. I personally don't feel comfortable adding 1000 watt HPS in my 4x4x7 tent due to fire hazards.

sorry, haven't been on in a while, been changing some things. not much time so i'll just post the pics and explain later.......sorry

out with the old
Picture_00396.jpg
Picture_00292.jpg

in with the new, SHOULD I LOWER IT?
Picture_00580.jpg

ac in, heat out
Picture_01048.jpg

humidifier stuffed in corner
Picture_00954.jpg

hash plants going well, transplanting went very wrong on one...left with two
Picture_00665.jpg
Picture_00756.jpg

survivors slowly dying, had a lot of ph problems...i think it was the molasses
Picture_00857.jpg

using a mh conversion bulb on hps

hey there, i'm back, so i'm really stoked about all my new stuff... i can sleep now!...the hash plants are doing very well, since i have the survivors to test on...power just went out, chrome restored the page, bulb didn't kick on, how long should i wait to try again? anyway, i have cfl's within reach for just such an occasion...when i started watering the survivors, i poured until it came out the bottom, then waited three or four days and repeated. they looked very over watered after this. the hash plants i'm only watering a few cups every two to three days, and they seem to love it. i understand how filling and draining works and how it sucks air down to the roots, but it just didn't work for me...i think it was the molasses mainly, i had a heck of a time getting it ph balanced...but thats why i started with the bag seed, so i don't mutilate my hash plants...i tried fimming the survivors and they just kept growing the way they were, just hacked up, i didn't take enough off i guess...i'm not sure if i wanna do that to my hash plants, but i want more tops...i dunno, maybe i'll get the guts to do it...so here's the latest:

hash plant 1
Picture_00196.jpg

hash plant 1
Picture_00397.jpg

hash plant 2
Picture_00293.jpg

hash plant 2
Picture_00493.jpg

family photo, don't look at the survivors, it's a sad sight...
Picture_00582.jpg

my inline fan
Picture_00667.jpg

Now you see it...
Picture_00758.jpg

Now you don't!
Picture_00859.jpg

Honestly I think molasses is more trouble than its worth. I had problems with it last grow when I used it mixed into water. I do think that both bad and good bacteria feed on molassis. So if you have any (even minute) root problems you can magnify it ten fold by adding molasses. Now I only use it in very small amounts to feed my beneficial bacteria in my compost tea.

LOL Love your stealth grow...your plants looking good too!

Back
Top Bottom