Does nobody care that I only got 141g from Big Devil XL 2 but I got 174g of bud rot. The nice big colas that BD2 had were all bud rot. :(

These nice big colas?

BD2 - Pre-Chop.jpeg

They were full of bud rot:

Big Devil Cola Bud Rot.jpg

I got 394g between the two of them but I'm still not happy that 174g is bud rot.

Congrats on the harvests (full and partial) but how awful to lose so much to rot. :eek: You really can't tell from looking at full plant so it must have really been heartbreaking to find that much during trimming. Oof!

I hope the Carnival comes up clean since that's a beauty that Susan would be proud of. Well done. :high-five:

And your Sunday sounds insane! o_O
See what everyone else says
What VG said!

Im really sorry to see so much love and labor lost to the weather. Outdoor gardening is especially more difficult in your area compared to the southern parts of the world.
But then again you did finish up with some really good looking bud.

I have a feeling you learned a lot over the summer to now. Congratulations on the finish.

@Bode said he had pretty good luck spraying his plants down with Jadam Microbial Solution (JMS) so you might look into trying that for the bud rot. I wonder if it would also work with Lacto Bacillis (LAB).

I think @Emilya has a tutorial on how to make your own LAB.

Might be worth a small experiment on your next grow.

:welcome: to my journal, Bill. And, thank you for the compliment.

How's your growing situation going?

Thanks, everyone. So from people who smoke it, what's your preferred rh? Most of mine goes to oil and edibles but I like to have a little bit to smoke as well.

In order to get the least harsh smoke, which percentage is best?

And, I have Boveda 62s in some of the jars (I only have 6 of the packs) and 2 of the jars have been steady at 65 regardless.
62%. But it changes. When it's fresh, say a month or two old, it may need some time out to dry a tiny bit more. After a few months old it seems to get a drier feel to it.

Does nobody care that I only got 141g from Big Devil XL 2 but I got 174g of bud rot. The nice big colas that BD2 had were all bud rot. :(

These nice big colas?

BD2 - Pre-Chop.jpeg

They were full of bud rot:

Big Devil Cola Bud Rot.jpg

I got 394g between the two of them but I'm still not happy that 174g is bud rot.
I do:confused:I feel your emptiness as I lost a lot of mine this year to rot.

Highya HashGirl, guys,

Last year I used lactobacillus serum to spray on the leaves before bad weather and had some budrot, but not enough to consider chopping early. I had to spray 3 times in Sept/Oct before harvest. This year I used Jadam's microbe solution and seemed better. I've had much budrot in the past, so I'm pleased with this year's result. The bigger and more dense the nugs, the more chance of botrytis. I grow 2 strains of sativa that matures midOctober, and 1 indica strain matures the end of September. Works for me. Happy Smokin'

And the good defs outweighed the bad, so there’s that.

♥️♥️♥️

:circle-of-love:

Congrats on the harvests (full and partial) but how awful to lose so much to rot. :eek: You really can't tell from looking at full plant so it must have really been heartbreaking to find that much during trimming. Oof!

It truly was. I haven't actually thrown it out yet as I want to have another look just to be sure. After all, brown pistils look an awful lot like bud rot unless you look deeper.

I hope the Carnival comes up clean since that's a beauty that Susan would be proud of. Well done. :high-five:

I've had to cut some bud rot off today but not as much as the Big Devils. However, that said, the Carnival doesn't have any big, chonky colas the way the Big Devils did.

Im really sorry to see so much love and labor lost to the weather. Outdoor gardening is especially more difficult in your area compared to the southern parts of the world.
But then again you did finish up with some really good looking bud.

I have a feeling you learned a lot over the summer to now. Congratulations on the finish.

Thanks, Nev. Yes, I am definitely learning a lot about these glorious plants.

:goodluck: I feel for you HG, I've trimmed some rot buds off my Purple Satellite last night and put what is left directly under the overhead fan to prevent anymore decay.:meditate:

Thanks, dynamo. We had a fan on them when they were hanging. Now, they're in jars doing their thing.

@Bode said he had pretty good luck spraying his plants down with Jadam Microbial Solution (JMS) so you might look into trying that for the bud rot. I wonder if it would also work with Lacto Bacillis (LAB).

I think @Emilya has a tutorial on how to make your own LAB.

Might be worth a small experiment on your next grow.

:thanks: Azi and Shed. I've bookmarked the one by Amy. So, do I spray it on the buds or add it to the feed? How often and if it's sprayed on, should you rinse it off afterwards?

Highya HashGirl, guys,

Last year I used lactobacillus serum to spray on the leaves before bad weather and had some budrot, but not enough to consider chopping early. I had to spray 3 times in Sept/Oct before harvest. This year I used Jadam's microbe solution and seemed better. I've had much budrot in the past, so I'm pleased with this year's result. The bigger and more dense the nugs, the more chance of botrytis. I grow 2 strains of sativa that matures midOctober, and 1 indica strain matures the end of September. Works for me. Happy Smokin'

:welcome: to my journal, Bode.

Thank for the LAB info. When you say you had to spray 3 times, what does that mean? Why did you have to?

What do you spray? Just the buds or the whole plant? Do you rinse off with plain water?

Do you have a link for Jadam's microbe solution?

The JMS is easier to make if you want to try your hand at this.

I use a bucket (2gal, 5 gal) and suspend a 1 gal paint strainer bag into which I put a mashed up baked potato and some leaf mold soil (although I use worm castings instead, but similar outcomes). Add a hint of sea salt and fill with non-chlorinated water, cover and let it sit near your plants so you cultivate the microbes in the same environment you'll be using the stuff in. In a couple of days you'll get some bubbles that show the microbes are hard at work. At the peak of the bubbles is the peak of the population of what you're cultivating and that's when you use it. Of course your environment will dictate how long that takes so you'll need a few rounds to dial it in.

I think @Bode may use rice instead of the potato.

Think of it this way: every surface of every thing is covered with microbes (good and bad) which compete with each other for real estate. By cultivating and then saturating the surface with the good ones, the bad ones get outcompeted and are diminished.

It's helpful to add a bit of aloe or an organic soap to the spray mix to get it to fully coat the plant.

You can also water it into the soil where it will help break down nutrients and give better tilth to the soil. Good stuff all around.

The LAB is a concentration of a single type of microbe but works in a similar way. And that microbe is known to help digestion (in people too) of organic matter, and is a good health booster for your plants.

You can use it liberally and often. The LABs act like the national guard to restore order, and when there is nothing for them to do they fade away, at least according to Drake on UTube, one of the "guru's" of KNF from Hawaii. Chris Trump, also from Hawaii, has lots of good vids up on how to make the various KNF concoctions

Thank you, Azi.

Is it sprayed on like Safer's would be (tops and bottoms of leaves)? And, then rinsed off?

Yes to top and bottom of leaves, no to the rinse off. Remember we want to add the goods ones and have them take up residence so the bad ones don't have any space to call their own.

Rinsing them off would clear the battlefield of everything and would set up a new round of "who gets to have dominance."

Since we overwhelm the battlefield with our troops, we want them to stick around and beat back whatever counterattack the less desirables care to mount.

And do the stems and soil surface too. It's pretty easy and cheap to make in quantity, so no use being stingy.

The downside is whatever you don't use starts to degrade so you have to make a fresh batch each time you use it.

And, make sure you dilute it 1:10 with non chlorinated water. It's too strong to use straight up.

Here's Chris Trump's video:.

Edit: I've had good luck using dried potato flakes in place of the baked potato. I did a bunch of experiments you can read in my signature (shameless plug). It's easier to make in small quantities that way. And, since it gets diluted by 10x, a little goes a long way. (I usually make mine by the quart/liter).

Highya HashGirl,

Sorry, I've been away for a couple days.
When you say you had to spray 3 times, what does that mean? Why did you have to?
No, I didn't have to. I meant if I wanted to try to keep the botrytis count down, I should spray a day before rain events. I spray early enough in the day for leaves and buds can dry.
What do you spray? Just the buds or the whole plant? Do you rinse off with plain water?
I sprayed the whole plant until dripping, and no rinse. Let dry on plant.
en.jadam.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=8350

I thought Azimuth nailed the whole process quite well. Certainly better than I could have, lol! Well done, Man!

Oh, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Happy Smokin'

@Bode,

I get the spraying before the rain to set the table, but why not after the rain as well to re-establish the microbes we want?

I would think the rain would have washed away some of the exposed surface and a re-innoculation would be in order.

Also, how do you strain the mix before putting it in your sprayer?

I've only ever used it on the soil, but will probably add this approach next year as well.

Highya Hashgirl, Azimuth, guys,

I use the spray to innoculate for budrot. Budrot only happens during high humidity (during rain and fog events), so I didn't deem necessary after the fact (lower humidity). Just a little logic. I did find that coo ler nights cause the ladies to respire more, and every morning there would be a little rot in a couple places, though. So, there's an argument for your proposal. Your choice, I guess. I strain with just a small sieve strainer. Happy Smokin'

Ah, ok. I guess I view it a bit differently. I see it as spraying to occupy territory on an ongoing basis, and renewing with fresh troops as needed.

Kind of like Master Cho suggests using it on the soil weekly. Adding the microbes we want ensures they are always well represented.

I'd probably do it after a rain and every few days during budrot season, but like you said, everyone has their own way of doing things.

Back
Top Bottom