Hashish plants of Morocco

Felix the Dog

I read an article about the hash industry in Morocco,
The New Moroccan Hashish | Cannabis Now
The main point of interest to me is that the strains grown in recent years have changed: THC has gone way up, and the landrace strains are gone, no longer competitive. They may be of romantic interest to growers like me, but the newer strains have more bang and hash-smokers prefer that bang and hash-growers prefer the $$$.

I see Moroccan seeds being sold at at at least one of the better-known seed sites (seedsman, Hash Passion) but at 18% it is certainly one of the strains of the past few years and not landrace. That's not to say that it is not a good or great product, but I'd bet that the landrace stuff is nearly extinct, but probably growing in the wild if nowhere else.

Actually some of the land race hash plant strains made it out or are still available. Don't worry about how most of them have changed. A lot needs to be done to land race strains to bring them indoors. Selection and natural genetics work together to find something that likes the unnatural light. True land race strains tend to be a little fluffy indoors. Even indica's. With a little human interaction we help them find their way.

You may have look around for more Morocco genetics. Any and all of the hash making strains were went after when things started up in Amsterdam. If they could be found they made it out. You might have to look hard for it but I am sure there are a few used in some of the Hash Plant strains. Look into Strain Hunters for more info. I bet they may have a video in that area.

About THC pecent. I am not sure what you are saying. Is 18% not high enough for you or do you think it is too high. Lots of land race genetics run in the 12 to 16% THC range. Even the great hash strains gained THC after they were hybridized or grown in a controlled area. The biggest thing is. THC percent only tells you what is there, not what what it will do to you. Great strains can do more with 18% THC then a lot of the 25+ THC percent strains. Don't get me wrong I am not saying they are not good. I have found that most of the stronger strains have tolerance issues just like Hash or concentrates.

Plus some strains are meant to be that amount of THC they are. When they get stronger their effects are different. I have seen speedy sativa's that are 16%. They make your mind race and can cause paranoia. At 25% that strain would be uncomfortable. Trust me I have had Tangy that was just plain uncomfortable unless you were outside and doing stuff. With other strains you jump right passed that perfect high and land right into F**K'd up.

which sucks, I miss the black hash from the 80s

Most Black Hash that was available was rubbed. It is a different process of making hash. It is done from live growing plants. Everyone that grows and trims gets a little of this hash every year. I know my scissor hash is the best I get every year.

I don't think the true process could ever be recreated indoors. If you were in the right area and had the right genetics it could be recreated outdoors. Read about the making of temple balls for the process. While true Temple Balls are made by priest's I do not think you need to be ordained to try it where you are LOL.

"About THC pecent. I am not sure what you are saying. Is 18% not high enough for you or do you think it is too high."

The point is not that I think it is high or low, but the article tells that the THC levels have greatly increased and the breeds have changed since the 1960s-'70s. The plants are of a new strain, not the traditional landrace, and they are more potent. I'm not saying that is good or bad, but the landrace will probably be extinct or in a museum of pot soon.

At risk of hijacking my own thread, I point out this from the story linked above:

One hundred kilograms of cut Khardala can reportedly yield up to 7 kilograms of resin the first year, 5 kilograms the second year and 3 kilograms the third year when new seeds need to be purchased.

That goes over my head. Does it probably mean that the plants simply breed and reseed for a couple of years and the quality of seed drops and then needs to be upgraded? That's the only sense I can make of it, but I'm very uncertain.

I always thought Morocco was sifted hash. Sounds like it might be a rubbed from the basics of that article. If you only need to get seeds every 3 years then the plants are regrowing. Rubbed hash strains are made from growing plants and are not killed.

That doesn't explain why they need to get seeds every third year. Also it doesn't explain why harvest would get smaller. That sounds like they take part of the plant each year. It should then regrow so harvests wouldn't be smaller.

I realize I answered nothing and only added more questions. As you mentioned it is interesting lol.

When it comes to land race strains getting stronger. They have always gotten stronger. Anytime human interaction comes along things will change. Certain regions in set land race area will have stronger weed. Farmers have always tried to improve their crops for one reason or another. They bred with their strongest genetics. Strains can become stronger over the years just because of selection. Information has continued to improve and trickle down to way word areas of the world. Even with out modern genetics and grow technics land race strains have always gotten stronger. Those third world growers may not know much about all. They do know what they work with very well.

the reason why about every three years they have to start from seed is precisely because using hybrid varieties over the years, not doing any selection work, the hybrids are shaped by nature, climate, soil etc...(natural selection) and lose some characteristics not useful in evolutionary terms, such as the massive resin production of modern hybrids etc...

those who use the native variety, called Beldia, obviously do not have to do this, every year they will use the seeds of the previous harvest and so on ... without losing production or quality. But it is a variety that reaches perhaps a third of the thc and resin content of modern hybrids...

the reason why about every three years they have to start from seed is precisely because using hybrid varieties over the years, not doing any selection work, the hybrids are shaped by nature, climate, soil etc...(natural selection) and lose some characteristics not useful in evolutionary terms, such as the massive resin production of modern hybrids etc...

those who use the native variety, called Beldia, obviously do not have to do this, every year they will use the seeds of the previous harvest and so on ... without losing production or quality. But it is a variety that reaches perhaps a third of the thc and resin content of modern hybrids...
Hey @JanusFarm hope you are well my friend.
Welcome to 420magazine.
Why don't you introduce yourself and meet everyone.
So we can all say hi.
Check that link

Stay safe
Bill

Back
Top Bottom