have some lighting schedule questions

Red Eye Jedi

hello everyone

i've been reading this board for a long time, and have found it to be extremely helpful so first off i'd like to thank everyone here for all the good advice they've given.

ok, so i got 2 small plants that are 7 days old. i've been giving them anywhere from 17-20 hours of light everyday. the question is, is it ok to change up the lighting schedule (giving them an hour or two extra one day, and maybe giving them 1 or 2 hours less the next) as long as it stays within that 17-20 hour period? reason i'm asking is because i don't have a timer right now. i'm not doing the 24/7 thing because i've read here from reputable members that it's good to give your plant time to rest so it can grow, and build it's roots.

this is my first grow, so i'm using 120W CFLs on each of them for now. I'm going to upgrade my lighting soon, so i'm not sweating that. they seem to be growing at a decent pace...

GET A TIMER! Plants love consistency in everything, especially the light cycle. Also, do you know anywhere in the world where the days are a few hours longer one day and maybe a few hours shorter the next? It doesn't happen. You are trying to replicate the cycle of day and night as closely as you can, and the sun comes up and goes down everyday with maybe minutes of difference, not hours. Get a timer, put them on 18/6 for veg and watch them grow!

InYourEndo said:
does the vegg room have to be complety dark as well like the flower room? my vegg room is on 24/0 right now... im going to go 18/6 but my veg room is a crappy cabinet so its not light proof....

endo

Any chance of wrapping the cabinet, or light leaks in black plastic during dark periods? How I'm sealing the front and sides of my grow box from stray light from a hall light outside the bedroom where the grow box is located. Why switch to 18/6? Just curious, I went from 7/24 to 12/12 as soon as my plant hit 10 weeks with no noticable problems, in fact it started putting out pistols the second day of the 12/12 cycle change.

most important thing is that no light what so ever gets in when they are on the 12/12 cycle, in the veg stage you can afford to have a little light leak in

:bongrip: smoke smoke smoke

I have grown dozens of crops under 24/0 light during veg.
You can use a 18/6 schedule if you wanna; it will take your plants longer to get to where you want them.

Back
Top Bottom