Hawai'i Senate Passes Five Positive Marijuana Bills With Near Unanimity

MedicalNeed

Five for five is a great stat in any sport. In proposing positive reforms to marijuana law, it is damn near a miracle. But today, Hawaii's Senate did it, with two unanimous votes and three votes with a total of just two senators in opposition. As CannaBob would write, The Legalization Train Rolls On!

Hawai'i News Daily: SB 1460 — decriminalization of one ounce of marijuana: 24-0-1 (Shimabukuro was excused). It now moves over to the house.

No arrest and a $100 fine for one ounce or less. Even for healthy people!

SB 58 — increases plants, dried ounces, patient-caregiver ratio, clarifies transportation language. The bill was waived by the Senate Judiciary Chair, Clayton Hee, which allowed it to move on for a floor vote, and it passed third reading 24-0-1 (Shimabukuro was excused). It now moves to the house.

Adds a "transfer for no consideration" clause similar to Oregon that allows any cardholder to freely exchange medicine and plants with any other cardholder.

Adds protection for cardholders transporting medicine from island to island.

Allows caregivers to be reimbursed for expenses incurred in providing medicine to a patient, again, similar to Oregon.

Increases plant limits from 3 mature + 4 immature to 10 total cannabis plants (any stage) and possession limits from 1 ounce to 5 ounces.

Specifies that a doctor signing for medical cannabis need not be the patient's primary care physician.

Specifies that a doctor need only attest to the fact that a patient has a qualifying condition and shall not actually name or describe the condition in the registration. (Wow! No more of these "Look, only 2% get cards for cancer and AIDS!" scares. All they will know is how many patients there are.)

Increases caregiver:patient ratio from 1:1 to 1:3 (caregivers could serve three patients).

Changes the word "marijuana" to "cannabis" everywhere in the medical marijuana law. I mean, medical cannabis law.

SB 175 — moves medical marijuana program from Public Safety to Health: 24-1 (Kouchi voted "no")

Hawai'i is the only state where medical marijuana is run by law enforcement. This would move the program to the Health Department. Imagine: medical marijuana in a health department!

SB 1458 — licenses medical marijuana compassion centers, producers and infused products makers. Passed third reading, 24-1 (Slom voted "no"). Moves to house.

Creates three classes of licenses. Class 1 would be dispensaries that sell cannabis to patients. Class 2 would be producers that grow cannabis for Class 1 and Class 3 licensees. Class 3 would be "infused products manufacturers" similar to what Colorado has, who could sell to Class 1 licensees.

There would be a Class 1 dispensary on every island.

Non-Hawai'i patients could shop at Class 1 dispensaries after acquiring a temporary registration certificate. (Hello, medical marijuana vacation packages!)

Those with felony drug conviction in past ten years couldn't be licensed. (Boo! Who do you think are the people who are the best marijuana growers? Why prevent them from growing legally now just because they grew marijuana illegally and got caught and paid their debt to society?)

At most, there would be 22 dispensaries in Hawai'i (Hawaii 6, Kauai 2, Maui 3, Molokai 1, Oahu 10).

Medical marijuana will be subject to sales tax.

Various inspection, testing, and security requirements.

SB 113 — creates a 3-year Cannabis research program. Passed third reading with 23 ayes, 23-2 (Slom and Kouchi voted "no"). Moves to house.

Weird, is it not, that the bill with the greatest opposition was a mere three-year study program?

NewsHawk: MedicalNeed: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: norml.org
Author: "Radical" Russ Belville
Copyright: 2011 NORML Foundation
Website: Hawai'i Senate passes five positive marijuana bills with near unanimity

Back
Top Bottom