Haystack Has Cannabisitis And He's Sour About It

Me too...

My tent is still in the box but it will get sprung when our last guests leave after Turkey Day.
This growing stuff gets really addicting. I didn't realize just how addicting it is until it was legalized here in Cali.

So, I did a little more work on the tent today. But I had a friend visiting from Socal, so I didn't get as far as I wanted. His visit turned into resin pressing party and got really stoned instead of working. But it was worth it .

This grow will be my first attempt at hydro. The grow will consist of the following.

1. Two Sour Patch Kids clones that I picked up this afternoon from my local dispensary. I

2. Two three gallon buckets that I'll be watering manually until I setup an auto water system. I'll switch them to 5 gallon buckets once the root ball starts to develop.

3. Auto watering system. I've read a few nice setups. But I've never done one before. So if anyone has any advice or ideas, I'm all ears.

4. Once again the nutrients will be the Advanced Nutrients Connoisseur line for veg and flower along with some Advanced Nutrients additives. Also some Primordial Solutions Sea Green and whatever else I need to add to keep the water good.

5. Lastly I'm using one 315 watt CMH and one 600 watt Viparspar LED. Two 188 CFM in line fans. One for intake at the bottom of the tent and another at the top for exhaust.

I'm trying to cut down on power usage this time. My power bill got out of hand on my last grow

I'm not sure how this grow will turn out. But I'm hoping for the best.

Here's a pic of what it looks like tonight.

I got home late last night and took a few pics before I hit the sack.

I got some roots Now! Hopefully this is a sign of good things to come.

And they are definitely female.

There is also some noticeable growth in just five days. I'm pretty sure I would not have gotten this much growth in soil. But I've never grown Sour Patch Kids before. Nor have I grown in hydro. So is it the strain, or is it the hydro? But one thing is for sure. They are getting off to a pretty fast start.

I'm going away for a few days, so I thought I would post a little update.
Everything is going well so far. The new growth is nice and green and the roots are really growing fast. IT was only a few days ago that the roots started growing out the bottom of the baskets. Now they are really coming out a lot.

Since this is my first time with hydro. I'm not really sure if this is good growth for a week and a half. But if it were in soil, I'd say it's doing very well.

If you all see anything that you think I should be aware of, please let me know.

How far below the net pot is yer water???

Looks kinda high

Keep the water, when full, 2" below the net pot
It's about half way up the pot. I'm in Reno for a couple days now. I hope it can wait till I get home on Saturday.
Thanks for the tip!

WAYYYYYYYYY to high, yer gunna drown her
So your post worried me a bit. So I had my son take a few pics this afternoon. I'm still out of town, so I'll lower the water when I get home. Saturday will be a week with the same water, so it water and nutes change time anyway.

Ok, so week two is in the books now. I'm just starting week three now. So far all seems to have gone well and root development is going well. As @Chris Scorpio pointed out, I was using way too much water. I'm now using 2 gallons instead of three and the water now sits just below the bottom of the basket. I hope I got it right.

After dumping the old nutrients and refilling, the PH is at 6.0 and the ppm's are at 1200.
The mix I am currently using is 4 ml per liter of AD Connoisseur parts A&B 2 ml per liter of AD Voodoo Juice and 2 ml per liter of AD B-52. The plants seem to like it so far.

I also did a little topping today. I hope they recover fast enough to do a little LST before putting them into flower.

So now I have a few questions.

1.) PH and PPM
I'm currently running PH at 6.0 and PPM is at 1200. I'm think that's good for week 3, but I'm not sure. What do you all run at week 3?

2.) Training (LST)
The lids on my buckets are a one piece lid that covers the whole bucket. How do you all tie down the branches to the pots and still be able to remove the lid to change the water and nutrients. I'm thinking I need to install a reservoir so I don't have to remove the lids anymore, but I'm not sure.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Haystack. Your plants look really good at week 3. Hydro will definitely grow faster than soil, so what your seeing is normal.
I have many successful hydro grows under my belt so I'll take a stab at your questions.

1.) PH and PPM
I'm currently running PH at 6.0 and PPM is at 1200. I'm think that's good for week 3, but I'm not sure. What do you all run at week 3?
  1. 5.8 is the ideal PH for hydro growing. In my opinion anywhere from 5.6-6.0 is acceptable.
  2. All strains will take on they're nutes differently. Some feed light, some feed heavy. Yours look to be doing fine at 1200 ppm.
  3. Heres a chart to illustrate proper PH.
Training (LST)
The lids on my buckets are a one piece lid that covers the whole bucket. How do you all tie down the branches to the pots and still be able to remove the lid to change the water and nutrients. I'm thinking I need to install a reservoir so I don't have to remove the lids anymore, but I'm not sure.

I have the same lids as you. I just wrap a piece of gardening wire under the lid of the bucket and put the lid back on.

You asked earlier about the frequency of res changes. If you ask 10 people you'll get 10 answers.
I mix my top up water to the same strength as my reservoir water. I'll keep topping up the res as long as my PH is stable and the plants are uptaking the nutes. I generally only do 1 res change during a 60 day veg and 2 during a 65 day flower. Having said that many people will tell you weekly is correct, especially if your adding just straight water between res changes.

Maybe just drill some small holes on the outer edge and run the pipe cleaners/wire through them....

Hello Haystack. Your plants look really good at week 3. Hydro will definitely grow faster than soil, so what your seeing is normal.
I have many successful hydro grows under my belt so I'll take a stab at your questions.

1.) PH and PPM
  1. 5.8 is the ideal PH for hydro growing. In my opinion anywhere from 5.6-6.0 is acceptable.
  2. All strains will take on they're nutes differently. Some feed light, some feed heavy. Yours look to be doing fine at 1200 ppm.
  3. Heres a chart to illustrate proper PH.
Training (LST)

I have the same lids as you. I just wrap a piece of gardening wire under the lid of the bucket and put the lid back on.

You asked earlier about the frequency of res changes. If you ask 10 people you'll get 10 answers.
I mix my top up water to the same strength as my reservoir water. I'll keep topping up the res as long as my PH is stable and the plants are uptaking the nutes. I generally only do 1 res change during a 60 day veg and 2 during a 65 day flower. Having said that many people will tell you weekly is correct, especially if your adding just straight water between res changes.
Hey Scrogdog,
Sorry I've been away from posting for a few days. Damn job makes me too busy sometimes and there is no time for fun. Lol. But thanks for the post. and thanks for the information. It looks like I'm fairly within range of PPM's and PH. The tow SPK's seem to like it. The longer this goes, the less I'm worried.
the gardening wire also looks like a great idea. I just won;t be able the snap the lids all the way down. But I guess it won't hurt to have them up a tiny bit higher anyway.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom