Head Shop Raided

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
When Hall County narcotics officers raided Edwin Martinez's small smoking supplies store at Lakeshore Place off John W. Morrow Jr. Parkway Thursday, it was no more Mr. Nice Guy.

Martinez, who last week opened the Mr. Nice Guy store, which he describes as a "head shop," saw his inventory of glass, metal and plastic water pipes, scales and marijuana-glorifying t-shirts go out the door in a matter of minutes, seized by officers who said it was drug paraphernalia. It was the first raid of a business of its kind in Gainesville in recent years, if ever.

"It was straight bull," said Martinez, 20, who acknowledges having about a gram of marijuana and a used marijuana pipe in the store. He was charged with misdemeanor possession of marijuana and possession of drug-related objects. "They didn't have to take the t-shirts; that's not paraphernalia."

Hall County Multi-Agency Narcotics Squad commander Lt. Scott Ware said Friday that the bust came after officials with the city's business license department told the drug unit about complaints. Parents of students at nearby Gainesville High School expressed concerns about the business, Ware said.

An undercover officer engaged Martinez in conversation, and was able to confirm the pipes were intended for smoking marijuana, Ware said.

Martinez denies an allegation that he told the undercover officer that he could sell him marijuana. He said he thinks agents were hoping to find a large cache of the drug in the store.

"I know the search warrant wasn't about me saying the word 'bong,'" Martinez said.

Martinez says he was told the $9,000 in inventory seized from the store will be destroyed. Ware said the drug paraphernalia laws will be interpreted by local prosecutors. He couldn't say whether similar raids might occur in the future, saying officers would take "one case at a time."

"The bottom line is that if there are allegations that it is more than just paraphernalia being sold, if a business is endorsing the use of marijuana being sold and used, obviously we are going to pursue criminal charges," Ware said.

Martinez said the city granted him a valid business license, and claimed he could have opened a "sex shop" along the strip, but figured "Mr. Nice Guy" would be less offensive.

"I don't think I'm gonna get closed down," he said. "Hopefully the city will give me a second chance."

News Hawk- User https://www.420magazine.com
Source: gainesvilletimes.com
Author: STEPHEN GURR
Copyright: 2007 The Times
Website: Owner disputes warrant in 'head shop' raid - gainesvilletimes.com

Thats straight bull!

These backward thinking law officials and a few hysterical parents just f**ked this guy out of $9000 of merchandise, shut 'em down and cited this guy and he has done nothing wrong...our country is a mess and this stuff makes me sick.

Well that must suck espicially since it just opened he should of said these are for tobacco use only and give winks lol. Either way if you go to buy a bong you got to agree its for tobacco use only or they wont sell it to you.

This whole idea about what you say within the confines of your business is troubling...you can make a pipe out of a soda can...What if I go to a 7-11 store and I ask the man behind the counter about how well the can is as far as a pipe, if he asnwers " Wow " ...DEA is in the same store for donuts and they hear it... do they shut them down too? This worrying about what you say pisses me off, because we are suppose to be a free society...ok...I'm taking a big hit this time...........:smokin:

This whole idea about what you say within the confines of your business is troubling...you can make a pipe out of a soda can...What if I go to a 7-11 store and I ask the man behind the counter about how well the can is as far as a pipe, if he asnwers " Wow " ...DEA is in the same store for donuts and they hear it... do they shut them down too? This worrying about what you say pisses me off, because we are suppose to be a free society...ok...I'm taking a big hit this time...........:smokin:

Thats exactly how I feel.Because no matter how much they preach about this in the end we really dont have a free society.The government watches us 24/7,we don't really have privacy so how can we have freedom?

Back
Top Bottom