Heads vs. Feds: The Great Debate at University Nebraska Omaha

CubsRule420

I was just seeing if this is a traveling thing. Has anybody here ever seen this in a different place.

I contacted the person in charge of this and they told me that students and everybody was invited.

There is free pizza, popcorn, juice and water

Time and PlaceDate:
Friday, March 30, 2007
Time:
11:00am - 1:00pm
Street:
60th and Dodge St.
City/Town:
Omaha, NE

Hope that some of the nebraska/iowa people can show up. If not its cool, just thought some of you may be interested and still not have heard about it yet.

Peace! :peace:

:bongrip:

Im really looking forward to it, mostly for the free pizza, but also to see what the DEA agent says is an argument against legalizing.
Cubs not only am i surprised to see you up this early, im surprised you beat me to making this topic.

i went to this on 4-20 last year blazed off my ass and it was a very entertaining and interesting debate...the "fed" was acctually very nice and said that if marijuana was legal he would see no problem with it...the heads won the debate... it was very short though...i even wrote a term paper on the debate..if it comes to your campus i recommend going

lol i was up early? it was like 9:40 for that post...haha work started late.

For the people who have went was the q and a interesting? I mean I could ask a question and basically be like, when marijuana was made illegal you can read the wordings from states banning the plant and they were obviously written in attempts to stop other races from smoking this plant. how can one justify making marijuana illegal?

(these are long, but it is very short in comparrison to what i read to get all this information)

Probably the best single statement was the statement of a proponent of Texas’ first marijuana law. He said on the floor of the Texas Senate, and I quote, "All Mexicans are crazy, and this stuff (referring to marijuana) is what makes them crazy." Or, as the proponent of Montana's first marijuana law said, (and imagine this on the floor of the state legislature) and I quote, "Give one of these Mexican beet field workers a couple of puffs on a marijuana cigarette and he thinks he is in the bullring at Barcelona."

The New York Times in an editorial in 1919 said, "No one here in New York uses this drug marijuana. We have only just heard about it from down in the Southwest," and here comes the substitution. "But," said the New York Times, "we had better prohibit its use before it gets here. Otherwise" -- here's the substitution concept -- "all the heroin and hard narcotics addicts cut off from their drug by the Harrison Act and all the alcohol drinkers cut off from their drug by 1919 alcohol Prohibition will substitute this new and unknown drug marijuana for the drugs they used to use."

What happened apparently -- now some of you who may be members of the church, you know that there are still substantial Mormon communities in northwest Mexico -- was that, by and large most of the Mormons were not happy there, the religion had not done well there, they didn't feel comfortable there, they wanted to go back to Utah where there friends were and after 1914 did.
And with them, the Indians had given them marijuana. Now once you get somebody back in Utah with the marijuana it all becomes very easy, doesn't it? You know that the Mormon Church has always been opposed to the use of euphoriants of any kind. So, somebody saw them with the marijuana, and in August of 1915 the Church, meeting again in synod in Salt Lake City decreed the use of marijuana contrary to the Mormon religion and then -- and this is how things were in Utah in those days -- in October of 1915, the state legislature met and enacted every religious prohibition as a criminal law and we had the first criminal law in this country's history against the use of marijuana.

Jimmy Carter said, "Penalties against possession of a drug should not be more damaging to an individual than the use of the drug itself; and where they are, they should be changed. Nowhere is this more clear than in the laws against possession of marihuana in private for personal use."

"In strict medical terms marijuana is far safer than many foods we commonly consume. It is physically impossible to eat enough marijuana to induce death. Marijuana, in its natural form, is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known to man." Francis L. Young (Administrative Law Judge of the US drug police DEA)

My Sources (both are interesting as all hell...)
The Early State Marijuana Laws - History of the Non-Medical Use of Drugs
Why is Marijuana Illegal?

Price is right is on peace out all. I hope that somebody in this region on here finds this thread and comes to UNO it will be a blast! Free food and drinks can't beat that!

for you that seems early what time you thinking tomorrow be at your place at like 10 and watch the price is right?

for the people that went was there a meet n greet i would like to get a copy of high times signed by both

i just wanted to post a follow up to this.
i went to the debate on Friday and it was very interesting, the funny thing is that statistics can prove both sides of the debate. i did notice that the dea agent kept saying how he would give you everything but personal pleasure for legalization. it was also interesting that he said there is no way to find a dossage, true but also pointed out that with a vaporizor that it is almost instantly effective. they both made great points. i was really impressed with the opening statement of Steve and Bob's opening made me think that it was going to be the normal anti legalization thing, but i was wrong. Bob was able to articulate his points and was able to catch Steve in the debate on personal use. Steve got caught up once on a question at the end and it appeared that he may have been stoned on the taxation of marijuana question although he kept saying in his speech that he doesn't take 'Breakfeast Bong Rips' but I guess that is fair. They proposed the driving while stoned question. Bob went at it by saying many people feel they can drive while impaired on marijuana...then to saying that it was more dangerous than driving drunk and people started laughing and he took offense i believe because he then said i hear you giggle as if im not serious. i just wish this was a discussion between me and him because i wanted to ask him about all the tests in europe. they say you shouldn't smoke and drive (I AGREE 100%, but its like drinking sometimes situations arrise unfortunately!) but that it is safer than alcohol. he used his more dangerous in a car as a reason that marijuana should not be legal because people will have easier access. I do like that Steve started out with a question of 'how many people here know somebody who has grown marijuana?' He then went on with a list of 5 reasons why it should be legal. I can't remember all of them, but 1 was it is a plant and it is natural. I guess it is always interesting to look at studies but when people are so opposed to an IDEA it is impossible for them to read the results in the exact same way that a person is for this idea sees them. Plus when the government or legalization organizations pay for research what isn't to say they aren't slipping the publisher of the documents some money to polish it up. But I guess it should come down to the land of the free? or is the land of the foolish who have already lost all their powers and are willing to keep letting them dwindle till we can not drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes. I do not smoke cigarettes but I sure as fuck hope the government can't ban cigarettes otherwise we are going to be fucked. Bob (DEA agent) was talking about 20+ years that cigarettes will be illegal and that should be, but then when the prohibition question arrised he answered it wtih the answer that prohibition of marijuana is better than legalization because more people will access it, but if we recall prohibition of alcohol it just didn't work because the people wanted 1 thing while the government/women's rights movements wanted a different.
Totally off subject, but my state just passed a law where instead of alcohol being sold at Noon on Sundays we can buy it at 8 AM. I don't think alcohol is going anywhere, why can't weed just join in. They can sell it from 9 AM to 11 AM and I will be happy...but if only they would just sell it!

here is what they said they would post on myspace

University of Nebraska at Omaha

Daytime debates at communter colleges have never been a favorite of Bob and Steve. Often they draw low attendance and the result is a debate lacking in passion and energy. So when they walked into the Student Union at the University of Nebraska, and found a room set up with 100 chairs, it looked like this was going to be a typical daytime commuter school gig. Boy, were they wrong! After every chair was filled, and a line was packed out the door trying to get in, the event team opened up another ballroom, which quickly filled with chairs. Then a third ballroom was open before the crowd could all find seats. Free pizza slices were provided to all. Maybe that's why over 400 people showed up, shattering the record for a lecture turnout at the school. From the moment the debate started, both Bob and Steve cranked up to new energy levels. Most remarkably, almost the entire crowd stayed to hear the closing statements, which both Bob and Steve consider to be the most important part of the debate. Ben, the local student promoter, did an amazing job organizing. The questions were all extremely articulate and there were no disruptions. Many of the speakers thanked both debaters for showing up and complimented them both for their arguments. There was almost no hecklling, and Bob and Steve received the usual standing ovation. This was easily the best debate of the last six years, and that fact was remarked upon by both speakers. The questions were so good, in fact, and so complex, that, for the first time ever, Steve lost his train of thought on the final question and asked Bob to go first when someone asked about taxation and what form marijuana should take if it were made legal for adults. "I had three different trains of thought going," explains Steve, "and then suddenly, I lost all of them. I hadn't slept well for the last two nights and I'm on antibiotics for a tooth infection, so I blew most of my energy before the show was over. I asked Bob to jump in and answer first, and of course he loved the fact I lost my place. But I was able to recover after Bob delivered his three minute response."

Back
Top Bottom