Health Secretary Admits Marijuana Use As A Student

ShadyLady

The Health Secretary became the highest profile Labour figure to come clean about marijuana use prompting criticism about the Government's mixed messages on drugs.

Miss Hewitt, who has previously refused to comment when asked if she had tried drugs, insisted that she only tried cannabis once and didn't like it.

In an interview with the Independent, she said: "I tried cannabis once when I was a student. It didn't do anything for me and I never tried it again. I've not used any other illegal drug."

The Health Secretary went on to insist that cannabis should not be declassified, although she was a member of the Cabinet when Labour took the controversial decision to downgrade from a Class B drug to a Class C drug three years ago.

The move has been fiercely criticised by police and mental health groups, who claim it has caused a surge in abuse among youngsters.

Patricia Hewitt as a student: 'I've not used any other illegal drug'
Concern about super-strength cannabis - known as skunk - has also grown following a spate of murders and brutal assaults where cannabis psychosis has been cited as a factor.

Miss Hewitt said: "I'm in no doubt that cannabis use is harmful for people with mental health problems... So I wouldn't want to see cannabis declassified."

The Health Secretary studied at the Australian National University, in Canberra, before going on to complete two masters degrees at Oxford and Cambridge. She did not specify whether she had tried cannabis in Britain or Australia.

Her admission came as a new official study revealed that over a third of all 15 and 16-year-olds in England have tried cannabis - the highest in Europe.

The extent of teenage drug taking was revealed in a report from the NHS's 'The Information Centre'. It also revealed that over half of 15-year-olds had been offered cannabis. Meanwhile, the number of hospital admissions in which illegal drugs played a role has almost tripled in the last nine year.

Previous Labour ministers who have admitted trying cannabis include the former Home Secretary Charles Clarke, the former Northern Ireland Secretary Mo Mowlam and the health minister Caroline Flint.

Tony Blair has been asked repeatedly whether he ever took drugs but has never given a clear 'yes' or 'no'.

However, many of the Prime Minister's close friends were known to have openly used cannabis while he was studying at Oxford.

The Chancellor Gordon Brown, Home Secretary John Reid and Commons Leader Jack Straw have all denied taking illegal substances.

NEWSHAWK: Shadylady 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
SOURCE: This Is London
CONTACT: London Entertainment Guide from The Evening Standard | This is London
COPYRIGHT: This Is London
WEBSITE: I smoked cannabis too, says health secretary Hewitt | News | This is London

"The Health Secretary studied at the Australian National University, in Canberra, before going on to complete two masters degrees at Oxford and Cambridge. She did not specify whether she had tried cannabis in Britain or Australia."

-all that schooling and she's still ignorant. cheers mate~

-i do agree on tight restrictions regarding kids using MJ, 21 and over restriction like alcohol would be acceptable concerning recreational use (unless its a medical matter)

Back
Top Bottom