Heating mat when germing ? Yes / no ?

gunjababy

I am starting with my 1st crop, I germed my seeds they popped and I place them in rockwool in a tray with a dome over it,I put a lil perlite under them to retain water my question is I have a thermometer in the tray inside the dome to check temp it reads 81 F, when i touch the rockwool it's nice and moist but kinda feel cold. when i try using the heating mat the temps in the dome reach as high as 96F. my question is should i keep the heating mat on or dont use it. remember with the mat on the rockwool is still kinda cold. when I say the rockwool I mean the the water coming out is cold to the touch. I'm afarid to go to sleep and wake up in the moring to burnt seeds. LOL

I germed on 11/24 they crack and i placed them in rockwool today. If i miss anything let me know. I would like to sleep in peace knowing my babies wont cook, they cost to much. LOL

HELP HELP HELP

No heater if your temps are 81 without it already. They will be fine, 96 is way too hot for those little girls they will fry.

its not a heater, its a heating mat. but the funny thing is i went to check them and i notice that the perlite is cold too as well as the rockwool, meaning the water in the rockwool is cold too. I used room temp water ?are u sure they will be fine ? the 96F i told u before thats when i place the thermometer on its back so the numbers are where i can just look above to read. but the back is lying on the tray that sitting on the heating mat.

its not a heater, its a heating mat.

Is this the kind from one of the kits, with the dome and the seed/plant holders?

I ask because I too purchased one of these units, and the instructions say the mat keeps the temperature approximately 20 degrees higher than what is under the mat. It recommended not placing it on the concrete floor, or tiles, etc.

Also, just a suggestion for whatever it's worth, but I too was in a similar position, I'm still at the seedling stage, spent some good money on seeds. But I've decided to "experiment" the germination and seedling process with some bag seeds.

Finally, you didn't mention a Ph reading on your water. Too high or too low and I suspect you may not see the success your looking for. As far as temp of the water, room temp of the water is just fine.

Those domes work really well and don't worry about the temp of the rockwool, if you have condensation in the dome when you wake up, you'll know it's working.

From what I've read here, you can go the inexpensive route, and purchase a kit for about $5-$6 either online, or I've read that some pool stores have a Ph kit you can also use. I choose to go the "expensive" route and purchased a Milwaukee Instruments 802 unit, about $150 but it also has a PPM meter which also comes into the mix when dealing with nutrients. I read about this unit from PitViper's Grow Journal, and I've learned a ton from his experience. I think the other major competitor to Milwaukee is a company called Hanna, that people also mention.

From what I've read here, you can go the inexpensive route, and purchase a kit for about $5-$6 either online, or I've read that some pool stores have a Ph kit you can also use. I choose to go the "expensive" route and purchased a Milwaukee Instruments 802 unit, about $150 but it also has a PPM meter which also comes into the mix when dealing with nutrients. I read about this unit from PitViper's Grow Journal, and I've learned a ton from his experience. I think the other major competitor to Milwaukee is a company called Hanna, that people also mention.

thanks for that bit of info

I just got the SM 802 meter too. I was wondering, How do you store your probe? Do you "have " to use storage solution? Also I bought some of the 7.0 calibration solution. Whats the best way to use it? I dont want to contaminate it by dipping the probe right into the bottle, but I also dont want to waste any by dumping it into a bowl?:peace::thanks:

I just got the SM 802 meter too. I was wondering, How do you store your probe? Do you "have " to use storage solution? Also I bought some of the 7.0 calibration solution. Whats the best way to use it? I dont want to contaminate it by dipping the probe right into the bottle, but I also dont want to waste any by dumping it into a bowl?:peace::thanks:

I had a couple of these questions when I first purchased the meter. I put in a call to Milwaukee Instruments and the guy (tech "dude) was most helpful. His biggest recommendation was to get a glass and fill it half way full of tap water, then keep the probe in that glass. When you want to use it for measurement, just give it a little rinse and go. You SHOULD not use a storage solution, just keep the probe wet.

You should only have to calibrate once every several months, or if the probe drys out. The meter comes calibrated from the factory. As for the calibration solution, you only really need to get the tip of the unit wet, when you test with some water, you'll see the depth you need, and not much solution will be required.

Hope this helps.

S.F.

You don't HAVE to use storage solution, but just how much was that meter compared to the cost of a bottle of solution?:smokin:

I have the SM101, pH only, but still not cheap. You can store that in the 7.0 calibration solution, but the SM802 I'm not sure being a PPM meter also.

For my solutions, I cleaned out some small pill bottles so only need to use a small amount to get the right depth for the probe. Mine is 2 point, so I needed both 4.0 and the 7.0. I also got a bottle of the cleaning solution. Not sure if I really needed it, but with the shipping the way it is, it was easier and cheaper to get everything at once.

I got mine from eseasonsgear.com. All kinds of meters and great prices.

DD

I use two dinner plates and paper towels and a heat pad from the grow shop called root radiance. It makes the seeds pop much faster. I set it on top of the plates rather than under it. The problem is be sure to keep it somewhere you remember to check on them ever day because the paper towel can dry out on you. I ruined my last 3 auto seeds that way.

I kept them upstairs in the grow room, which I don't always check everyday, so forgot to check seeds. When I checked them two days later, the paper towel was bone dry. Seeds then got too dry. The tap roots still looked fine, white, with a slight tan tip, but that is the end when they dry like that. I know from experience that they no longer grow, but because I pay like $10 a seed or more, I put more water in, put them in my room, and waited for them to grow, but nothing after two days. Just as I knew, they were goners.

So now I keep them in my room like I used to. This way I remember to check them everyday. The new seeds have been in the plates with the heat pad on top for less than 24 hours. They should be ready to plant tomorrow, with good sized tap roots.

i used a dome with the heating pad under it. i noticed it was a lil hot so i put a piece of cardboard under it to bring the heat down. i also use the keurig k-cups to start my seedlings in soil they actually work really good already have a drain hole in the bottom. i sprouted my seed in 5 days. i also put water bottle with water in it to keep the humidity a ll high. that works great for me for all the seeds i sprout even my chili pepper seeds.

20131218_145443_zpsqpqlqza0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom