Heffay's Brainstorm Haze Experinmental DWC Journal - 2013

Heffay

Just joined the 420 Forum after nearly a year quietly picking you all's brains to help me through my first two bag seed soil grows.

Also brand new to forums in general, so I'll thank everybody in advance for your patience as I learn the etiquette here.

= )

Decided it was time to take a crack at a hydro grow and some legitimate genetics, (maybe contribute something useful?) so here we go:

Strain: 2X Delta9 Labs Brainstorm Haze - 90/10 Sativa/Indica - Leafly link. Delta9 link.
Currently 15 days into veg. Started from seed.
Experinmental Indoor Deep Water Culture: 3.5 gallon buckets, 4" net pots, Hydrocorn clay medium.
400W MH/HPS Apollo lighting system - Non air cooled.
Temps: 64F Low/81F High
RH 21-41%
PH Maintained between 6.05 and 6.30
Res Temps Maintained between 67F and 71F
FF Hydro Trio w/ FF Bushdoctor microbial support and Botanicare CalMag suppliment. - Currently maintaining just slightly hotter than FF week 2 schedule. (+/- 930 PPM)
No pests (yet)

Anxious to get this posted, photos to follow.

Look forward to hearing from you guy!

Day 15 of Veg.

Bhz#1
20131216_193009.jpg

Bhz#1 Roots
20131216_193052.jpg

Bhz#2
20131216_193111.jpg

Bhz#2 Roots - I added a 66GPH pump in this bucket to see what it did to the solution's turbidity/clarity. Pointed up towards the bottom of the netpot with just enough pressure to cause a swell at the surface. Not much change in the solution but it seems to have a positive effect on the root development.
20131216_193118.jpg

Both were showing signs of what I believed to be Calcium/Magnesium deficiency: 3.5ML per gal Botanicare CalMag was added this morning. I'm fairly confident seeing as how EVERYONE is supplementing with CalMag and I was not. Plus, it seems to be a pretty common complaint from the ever dwindling number of people that use FF nutes.

Anyone who would care to confirm or dispute that diagnosis is more than welcome..
20131216_193141.jpg

20131216_193132.jpg

possible cal-mag yes
a lot of deficiencies look so familiar to each other you just gotta try and see if it truly was the issue
I just used cal-mag on a plant that was showing calcium deficiencies it was helping then I found it to be a male and hacked it lol
I find every plant takes different care and requires different things
I have only used cal mag as of that last plant but now see there may have been one or 2 other plants that could have
used the extra cal mag supplement
theyre like people some require more some require less

possible cal-mag yes
a lot of deficiencies look so familiar to each other you just gotta try and see if it truly was the issue
I just used cal-mag on a plant that was showing calcium deficiencies it was helping then I found it to be a male and hacked it lol
I find every plant takes different care and requires different things
I have only used cal mag as of that last plant but now see there may have been one or 2 other plants that could have
used the extra cal mag supplement
theyre like people some require more some require less

I know what you mean, they're all very different, and It's always more obvious what happened AFTER you've make a mistake or lost a plant.

I hope to not have the same situation as you did with the male, but I'm not thrilled about my odds with only two plants. I had a third seed but it failed to germinate.

...Fingers crossed.

Veg day 21:
- The fan leaf discoloration and curling I suspected to be a CalMag deficiency seems to have improved. After supplementing with 5ML Botanicare CalMag per gal. 4 fan leaves have been pinched from both plants.
- After realizing my ratios were all wrong on the previous mix plants have all received their 3rd reservoir change, and nutrient solution is in the 1100 PPM range.
I'm finding PH extremely difficult to regulate. I'm mixing 50ppm/7.5PH tap water with scheduled nutrient solutions and PH is coming out around 4.3.
I felt a bit of pressure to get this last res change done quickly because of the miscalculation, so this time I added PH up instead of waiting 2-3 days for the solution to come up to PH on its own. PH the following morning was in the 7-s. Perhaps PH up/down needs more time to stabilize before it's effect can be accurately metered? How long should I wait?
-Perhaps 1 more week of veg, and I'll pull clones.
-Also just realized that the correct spelling of "experiment" does not contain an "n". :thumb:

BHZ1
20131222_120811.jpg

BHZ1 - Roots
20131222_120821.jpg

BHZ2
20131222_120841.jpg

BHZ2 - Roots
20131222_120850.jpg

when you add a pH changing solution to your reservoir the pH should change quickly. there are several reason why your pH may rise. when your pH rises what is your ppm at? your pH may also rise from the calcium buffering in your tap water, I have found it takes several days to stabilize tap water and defeat the calcium buffering effect after pH adjustment.

If you would like to change the name of your journal type the exact name in quotations you would like it changed to.

when you add a pH changing solution to your reservoir the pH should change quickly. there are several reason why your pH may rise. when your pH rises what is your ppm at? your pH may also rise from the calcium buffering in your tap water, I have found it takes several days to stabilize tap water and defeat the calcium buffering effect after pH adjustment.

If you would like to change the name of your journal type the exact name in quotations you would like it changed to.

Very Merry (belated) Christmas to you all. I trust you've had a good one.

Thanks for the advice John: My TDS seem to be remaining consistent through the PH swings in the tap water. I suspect it is as you say, where I just need several days to stabilize the PH of the nutrient solution. I did some experimenting over the holiday and found that letting my PH rise over the course of 2-3 days while the reservoir levels drop and then just topping the solutions off with CalMag water mixed at 5ML/gal produces a happy medium where PH is concerned. No other PH adjustment is needed as the CalMag alone sufficiently lowers the PH.

I'm still wrestling with some kind of deficiency, only staying just ahead of it. If more than a couple of days goes by where I don't top off the reservoirs, the fan leaves begin to show the signs.

It's amazing how quickly the plants react to changes in DWC.. and how quickly things can go south if you're not paying attention. These things are now putting on new nodes and inches DAILY.

yep grows fast in dwc for sure
I do my water daily as far as topping off goes
Happy Thurweed day Heffay :thumb:

Brainstorm Haze Vegetative day 35

-Happy New year everybody!
-BHZ plants have now both received their 4th reservoir change which will hopefully carry them well in to flowering. Nutrient concentration is kept between 1510 and 1650, and they are being topped off every day.
-BHZ 1 and 2 are just shy of 2ft and 3 ft respectively.
-Cuttings were taken last night. 3 cuttings of #1 and 4 Cuttings from #2
-Began light reduction towards flowering. Reducing from 18 on to 12 on by .5 hrs per day trying to allow for a little wiggle room to make sure the cuttings have ample opportunity to root.
-STILL battling deficiency in one form or another, but the plants have been very patient with me and kept plugging along. My latest suspicion is the PH has been kept too high. I've recently been keeping vigilant about maintaining under 6.0 and it seems to help. There is now a much bigger gap between the healthy tops and nutrient robbed fan leaves.

BHZ #1
20140105_103017.jpg

BHZ #1 Roots
20140105_103044.jpg

BHZ #1 Tape
20140105_103211.jpg

BHZ #2
20140105_103304.jpg

BHZ #2 Roots
20140105_103347.jpg

BHZ #2 Tape
20140105_103453.jpg