Height - Yield ratio and assorted questions.

MaoZebong

Question 1
This is probably a stupid question, but since all I've grown all my life is my hair and nails, I'm clueless to it. Anyway, here it is.

Will a taller plant give better yield?

I'm torn between using one large wardrobe (175cm tall) divided vertically for both veg and flower cycle, or two smaller cabinets (about 90cm tall). I'm about settled on the wardrobe, because that can contain most of the equipment as well, and it's tall enough that the exit vents on top aren't that noticeable (also, my ignorant logic tells me a taller plant gives better yield. :D). BUT, it's easier to fit the two small ones in my apartment...

Question 2

CO2. An automatic co2 system with a flask and everything is really expensive, so: Are there any near comparable solutions at a more affordable price? I heard the green "I Grow Weed" video guy say you could spray soda water on them, but I can't imagine that'll be by far enough.

Question 3

I'll use a 120mm computer-fan (1500rpm) in the roof of the box, will that generate enough airflow in a 50x175x50cm space to get the plant moving enough, or do I need a dedicated fan for air-movement?

Lots of questions there, but I bet youse guys can handle'em.

Thanks in advance.

I can try to answer a couple:

According to SSSC (Super Sativa Seed Club), breeders and seed sellers in Holland back in the '80s, early '90s, 5, 1' tall plants would yield the same as 1, 5' tall plant of the same strain. This was in reference to SOG growing vs larger plants.

I can't say for sure, since I've always been limited to a SOG type set up and have never been able to do a side by side. This information is also from 1987, and things have changed a bit in the last 22 years.:smokin:

It is easier to get light to two shorter plants than 1 tall one though, for penetration to the lower leaves.

I wouldn't worry at all about CO2 for your set up as long as you have fresh air being constantly pulled in and exhausted. Pull fresh air in near the bottom of cabinet, exhaust old, hot air out the top. Save your $$$$$

HTH

DD

For indica dominant strains 3 feet is about the optimal height for maximum production. Generally if things go right you can expect 1 ounce per foot of growth, cured and dried.
Have never tried the carbonated water foliar feed to know if it really makes a difference. You'd have to do a side by side test to know if it really does anything.
If your new start out simple and small to see if you can maintain healthy plant growth throughout its life cycle. Then once you got a good method down then you can start experimenting.
Usually with new grows the biggest problems usually come for enviormental problems, Heat,cold, nute levels and such. Get those bugs worked out first and then proceed.

Question 1
This is probably a stupid question, but since all I've grown all my life is my hair and nails, I'm clueless to it. Anyway, here it is.

Will a taller plant give better yield?

I'm torn between using one large wardrobe (175cm tall) divided vertically for both veg and flower cycle, or two smaller cabinets (about 90cm tall). I'm about settled on the wardrobe, because that can contain most of the equipment as well, and it's tall enough that the exit vents on top aren't that noticeable (also, my ignorant logic tells me a taller plant gives better yield. :D). BUT, it's easier to fit the two small ones in my apartment...

Question 2

CO2. An automatic co2 system with a flask and everything is really expensive, so: Are there any near comparable solutions at a more affordable price? I heard the green "I Grow Weed" video guy say you could spray soda water on them, but I can't imagine that'll be by far enough.

Question 3

I'll use a 120mm computer-fan (1500rpm) in the roof of the box, will that generate enough airflow in a 50x175x50cm space to get the plant moving enough, or do I need a dedicated fan for air-movement?

Lots of questions there, but I bet youse guys can handle'em.

Thanks in advance.

To answer your question, a taller plant doesn't necessarily = higher yield.

Two things affect yield. Lighting and Roots. almost everything else is a manipulation of those things.

A taller plant does not = higher yield, but a more developed root system does.

which i grow weed guy? the one with the green camoflauge face? i wont discount his technique, but you can make a homemade co2 system using a soda bottle, yeast & water..
Stickydank's Basic CO2 Method
trade off is its hard to guage control how much c02 they're getting and one 2 liter normally last about 2 weeks... still a cheap alternative tho

If you're growing with lower wattage lamps, like 250w HID and under, and LED's, you will get bigger yields with shorter bushier plants because those lights do not penetrate very well and taller plants would get very little light to anything but the tops.

Bushier plants with lots of leaves can also process more light and produce more energy for growth.

On outdoor grows, I don't think it makes as much difference as when you're an indoor grower dealing with the limitations of indoor lighting.

Many indoor growers here are using the LST technique to both control height and most probably increase yield also.

Back
Top Bottom