Hell Freezes Over: White House Drug Czar Backs Decriminalization

The Marijuana Policy Project today congratulated White House "drug czar" John Walters for backing a Mexican government proposal that would remove criminal penalties for possession of small amounts of marijuana.

"I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but John Walters is right," said MPP executive director Rob Kampia. "We heartily second his support for eliminating criminal penalties for marijuana users in Mexico, and look forward to working with him to end such penalties in the U.S. as well."

On Oct. 22, The New York Times reported Walters' public support for a drug decriminalization proposal by Mexican President Felipe Calderon, quoting Walters as saying, "I don't think that's legalization." Under Calderon's proposal, individuals caught with small quantities of marijuana would receive no jail sentence or fine and would not receive a criminal record so long as they complete either drug education or, if addicted, drug treatment. Unlike proposals supported by MPP, the Mexican president's proposal would also decriminalize possession of small amounts of h****n, c*****e and m***.

"It's fantastic that John Walters has recognized the massive destruction the drug war has inflicted on Mexico and is now calling for reforms there, but he's a rank hypocrite if he continues opposing similar reforms in the U.S.," Kampia said. "The Mexican proposal is far more sweeping than MPP's proposals to decriminalize marijuana or make marijuana medically available, both of which John Walters and his henchmen rail against."

In a March 19, 2008, press release from the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy, deputy director Scott Burns called a New Hampshire proposal to impose a $200 fine rather than jail time for a small amount of marijuana "a dangerous first step toward complete drug legalization."

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Newsline
Copyright: 2008 Newsline Inc.
Website: Hell Freezes Over: White House Drug Czar Backs Decriminalization

We must have quit paying our south of the border brothers? Or did they just get tired of good people going to jail? What ever the reason it is the human thing to do. It follows the golden rule, Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Perhaps this will show our so called leaders how it should be. But if they insist on fighting the War on USA (drugs) I say lets give them a fight they will not forget!!

All kidding aside, this is really good news.

Doesn't this mean that Walter's is violating his mandate.

The Drug Czar is required by law to lie

Probably some exemption allowing him to tell the truth on an international basis :)

He still refers to addicted pot smokers so he's still brain dead.It sounds more like damage control than support.At least he may not be pressuring Calderon like he did Fox,to drop the whole thing.Time will tell how he's really handling this.I don't trust him any further than I can jump and I lost the lumbar section of my vertebrae.:peace:

So what is good policy for one country is not good enough for another? It's ok for Mexico to stop jailing non-violent drug offenders, but we should keep it up here in the U.S... it's really working so well. :rolleyes3

Perhaps the United States Drug Czar should pursue this kind of reform in his own jurisdiction. :peace:

Ah, just the begining of what we are & will be seeing " Coming to a country near you" legal cannabis. From you favorite now under one nation country, indivisible, with cannabis and bong hits for all.

"THE UNITED STATES of CANEXICO"

No more border patrol mistakes in losing cannabis loads... yes both Mexico and Canada can start paying import duty taxes on their cannabis being smuggled into the USA, and so can the good 'ol USA.. utilize those Tax Dollars...
Get your Amero Dollars ready. No more Pesos ore Cana Bucks, or Green Backs....

THE UNITED STATES OF CANEXICO no passport needed between our 3 country border system. want weed, no worries,

"from the North Land to the South Land, to the weed fields, growing bud, God bless our cannabis, the herb that we love" yeah yeah yeah we are all patriotic to a certain degree.

Smoke On

A Hui Hou

Back
Top Bottom