Hello fellow members - 60yo inexperienced to growing new guy here

ryuhas003

As a 60yo musician who has enjoyed the benefits of cannabis for many years, I have decided to take it to the next level. I live in a state who`s Governor vowed to sign a MMJ bill that reaches his desk. The house appears to be dragging their feet on passing it, even though the Senate passed a bill overwhelmingly . I failed in all attempts growing for personal use in the pass. Recently, I decided on taking it to the next level and consider a small hydroponic grow box , due to my failed attempts with soil in the past. At this point I will be needing all and any help or suggestions
in successfully growing cannabis in a small area, perhaps a closet. I am not interested in a large farming scale. I will need help deciding what type of short, but productive quick growth plant would be best for a beginner that has no green thumb. I welcome all suggestions on getting me growing. I would also like to thank you for allowing me in this distinguished group. I also go by the name Rick. Thank you again.

Welcome Rick. :thumb:
There are a lot of people in this forum, with a lot of different growing styles. Plenty of them are first time growers doing just great with their chosen method. I wouldn't dare reccomend one style over another, mainly because I haven't tried than all.
I do suspect that a good soil mix would be the easiest and safest way to grow. But having that good mix is key as there are plenty of people growing in bad soil, with bad results to show for it.
I think I'll just let this situation brew for a bit -can help you with some tips or links to good info and good journals when things develop a little.

Welcome Rick:welcome:

Cant help much being a soil guy. And still learning myself..
This is a great place to do just that, learn!

Read read and read some more. If your having a plant problem, someone else has had the same problem and undoubtedly talked about it somewhere around here:blushsmile::reading420magazine::passitleft:

:welcome: to :420: Rick. This is the place to be if you want to make it to harvest. Knowledgable and sharing people at every turn. If I or anyone else can help, don't hesitate to ask. We all want you to be successful this time around. :welcome:

Hi Rick,
Welcome to :420:,
I am a 55 year old electrician who has not had the privilege of enjoying MJ since back in the 70's and 80's. Though I am looking forward to enjoying the medical benefits it has to offer now that my state has made it legal for both medical and recreational. I have not grown hydro yet though that is something that interests me, though if you had issues before on previous grow attempts, I would say you may wish to rethink the hydro on the 1st successful grow. I went soil on my 1st grow only because I want to make sure I have all the basic skills down 1st before I jump into hydro, but you may find picking this stuff up easier then I do. Which ever way you choose for your 1st successful grow I wish you the best of luck and if there is ever anything I can help you with feel free to ask, like everyone else here, I just want you to succeed. I am 3 weeks from my 1st indoor harvest in over 20 years. It has been a learning curve.

Welcome bro! As a sound engineer myself I can definitely relate. Growing should be a fun and life changing experience. I know it has for me. Sucks your state still hasn't move forward with the bill. Trust me when I say I feel your pain. Welcome to 420Mag and now off you go to read the forums on a cannabinge!

Hi Rick, and welcome. If you decide to go with soil I'll probably see you on some of those journals but hydro is over my head right now. On the other hand, I'm 65 so it may just be that "old dog, new trick thing"
These fine members have saved my first grow several times, all you have to do is ask for help.:thumb:

As a 60yo musician who has enjoyed the benefits of cannabis for many years, I have decided to take it to the next level. I live in a state who`s Governor vowed to sign a MMJ bill that reaches his desk. The house appears to be dragging their feet on passing it, even though the Senate passed a bill overwhelmingly . I failed in all attempts growing for personal use in the pass. Recently, I decided on taking it to the next level and consider a small hydroponic grow box , due to my failed attempts with soil in the past. At this point I will be needing all and any help or suggestions
in successfully growing cannabis in a small area, perhaps a closet. I am not interested in a large farming scale. I will need help deciding what type of short, but productive quick growth plant would be best for a beginner that has no green thumb. I welcome all suggestions on getting me growing. I would also like to thank you for allowing me in this distinguished group. I also go by the name Rick. Thank you again.
Hi Rick. I suggest auto critical, firstly they are great at handling pests, secondly they love newts, thirdly they will take any amount of abuse. They are bulletproof. I’ve topped them defoliated 3/4 times over feed them underfed em overwatered, underwater. And they are still blazing away

IMG_1790.jpeg

IMG_1789.jpeg

Hi Rick. I suggest auto critical, firstly they are great at handling pests, secondly they love newts, thirdly they will take any amount of abuse. They are bulletproof. I’ve topped them defoliated 3/4 times over feed them underfed em overwatered, underwater. And they are still blazing away

IMG_1790.jpeg

IMG_1789.jpeg
8/9 weeks old . Ones in tubs 2 weeks old

Welcome to 420 Rick! (wished you had used that as your username :laugh:)

I'm a "few" years your senior so take what I say with that in mind. You might just be listening to the ramblings of a geezer! :)

But I'll throw in my two cents in light of how you described your prior attempt.

Don't do hydro just yet!

Do some reading around here. See what others are doing and try soil again.

I started out growing in water buckets (DWC) and it was not hard, but I later figured out that it's somewhat harder than soil. More labor intensive to, unless you have some sort of self-feeding system hooked to a water supply.

It has it's advantages over soil. Faster and heartier growth is typical in DWC. But one day I decided to stop doing it. And I haven't looked back!

For sure, you do you. But my advice as to the most likely way to get to an easy, successful harvest is to go with soil for now!

Whatever you decide, Happy Growing! :Rasta:

Back
Top Bottom