Hello folks-need help already

greengo840

My name's Mike and I'm from So Cal. Been smokin pot for going on 15 years although only a full time smoker for about 9.

I've finally got my act together to grow my first indoor batch (done outdoor but not so nice). I've had plenty of time to research and am fairly confident and excited. My question is about lighting. Ventilation won't be the best as I will be going up to the attic but I have a few fans in place to help with that.

Should I stick with florescent? If so what wattage, how many? Starting off with only 3 plants (bag seed till I get good). Any recommendations would be helpful. I'm not trying to invent anything yet so the very basics for a good grow is all I need at this point.

thanks and Im happy to have stumbled onto here

get a t5 system (like from sunlight supply) I've heard of people growing all the way through with one of those... a I'd suggest a 4' 8 light system with mainly red lights couple of blue won't hurt. they cover a decent area but I wouldn't try growing 3 large plants under it, but I think you could get the starts about 6-8" tall then flower and keep them manageable under one of those systems, and they're reasonably priced.

Hi greengo,
I think that experimenting with bag seed is a great idea. Then you can figure out all the little problems that come around, how to deal with them and produce the best you can get with what you have or can get as inexpensive as you can get... I think Compact Fluorescent Lighting (CFL's) are great to start out with.
27 watt (100w incand. equiv.) daylight 6500K
40 watt (200w incand. equiv.) soft white w/ no "K" specified but like 2300K
Using this guide And a few others I have seen, Daylight cfls work best for veg growth, and soft white for flowering. I have found both these kinds of bulbs at Lowe's that are 65W but 300W equiv. They save you energy, are cooler and are a great inexpensive way to develop your system. You can even get a cheap reflective dish with a cord that you can hang them as you please or clip on a pole or some structure.
I think with the care you give your seedlings you may be surprised at the quality of fruit you will get from so called "inferior" seeds. If you can remember that practice, practice, practice.makes perfect and you can solve many coming problems as they arise, without killing off very costly "superior" seeds. And you can cull anything that doesnt grow the way you like.
Good luck Keep us informed of this interesting project.

Hi greengo,
I think that experimenting with bag seed is a great idea. Then you can figure out all the little problems that come around, how to deal with them and produce the best you can get with what you have or can get as inexpensive as you can get... I think Compact Fluorescent Lighting (CFL's) are great to start out with.
27 watt (100w incand. equiv.) daylight 6500K
40 watt (200w incand. equiv.) soft white w/ no "K" specified but like 2300K
Using this guide And a few others I have seen, Daylight cfls work best for veg growth, and soft white for flowering. I have found both these kinds of bulbs at Lowe's that are 65W but 300W equiv. They save you energy, are cooler and are a great inexpensive way to develop your system. You can even get a cheap reflective dish with a cord that you can hang them as you please or clip on a pole or some structure.
I think with the care you give your seedlings you may be surprised at the quality of fruit you will get from so called "inferior" seeds. If you can remember that practice, practice, practice.makes perfect and you can solve many coming problems as they arise, without killing off very costly "superior" seeds. And you can cull anything that doesnt grow the way you like.
Good luck Keep us informed of this interesting project.
Those 65 watt lights fro Lowes are the best but the equiv part means nothing for us growers. That's how the manufacturer compares them to incandescents which we don't use. We just add the actual wattage. 65 watts each. I use two of the 65 watter for clones and veg in a old converted stereo cabinet. I took off the glass door and added a wood one and mounted the lights in the top. Added 1 PC fan for intake and 1 for exhaust. Works killer and has been for 5 years straight now.

Hello Racefan,
I have a question. DO you grow your clones initially and throughout their veg growth using the big 65 -er from Lowes? (or 2 I thing you said). Are the clones and the veg growth plants growing together? I had been growing some clones and seedling together with one of the 65 and one 35. ANother grower told me that I dont need this much light to begin with (for clones)but to veg I would. That would mean another *nursery* area besides veg and grow areas, I guess. WHat do you think? I am very interested in this as I am trying to get all my plants growing like 1. area for clones/seedling. One for veg and one for flower. Is this not needed? Should I grow the clones and veg plants together under the same lights?
fineas

Back
Top Bottom